horse obsessed with cows!!

buddy's mummy

Visit site
help!! my 15.2hh coloured cob lives with 3 heifers on a private yard rented by me, he has grown really attatched to the 3 cows, and calls for them when I bring him in. I am sure he thinks they are horses, or even worse he is a cow!! :)

DJ

Visit site
My lad loves the cows too lol

CobesCows_zps6d1de2b9.jpg

sport horse

Visit site
Well lucky you. We have one that panics when he sees a cow - even to the extent that he has jumped off the road into a field away from the cows alongside (and his riding companions!) only to find to his horror that there was another herd in the field he had jumped into. It took us 2 hours to retrieve him and get him home. We let him grow up for a year before trying that hack again only to repeat the performance - only difference was that his jumping training enabled him to clear the fence this time! We now select 'cow free' rides for this horse and as he is showing considerable talent as a show jumper I guess we live with it!

pippixox

Visit site
we ride on a common, which does have a herd of while ponies. but on a few occasions my girl has definitely called out to cows, as they were near, no ponies near by! my friend jokes she blends in with them and wants to be one, although they are more like piebalds and she is leopard spotted :)

pennyturner

Visit site
One of my stallions calls out to everything when he is ridden out alone. He calls to cows, sheep - even pigs.

Think he should have gone to Specsavers.

DanceswithCows

Visit site
Before I started riding cows I wouldn't have thought it likely, that animals would have preconceptions like humans do, but horses are OBSESSED when they see a cow ridden! They stand there AGAPE, and sometimes do call out like 'hey, are you actually a horse under that or something? Coz that's like, our job?'

rhylis

Visit site
My ex racehorse loves our dairy herd, so much so that last summer she kept joining them in their barn. We have a robot milking machine which the cows can go in at will and my mare had to be removed from the barn before she tried to follow a cow in! I also once caught her standing next to a fence allowing a number of cows to slobber all over her neck, she was covered in cow drool and enjoying it immensely!

SuperH

Visit site
Hehe loving the horse in the auto milker!

I turn my two our with our dairy herd now and again. They love it. One of mine loves the cows, I'm sure she thinks she is one. I had a few issues with her refusing to leave cows (either on the yard or if we came across them on a hack) when she first came. My other one isn't fussed with cows really. They both really love calves though, I had them next to our 'maternity unit' last winter and sometimes the calves got under the gate and in with them, I would find them mothering it in the morning. They are also happy with our bulls, can turn them all out together with no trouble.

pottamus

Visit site
The farmer has put some young cows in the field next door and my lad stops eating (which is a shock in itself!) and goes to see them over the fence...he has been caught licking their nose's before now!!!

skyrock

Visit site
when my little mare was separated from her foal earlier this year she went into a field next to some calves and she loved them. She would nuzzle their ears while they licked her face. First thing she did when she went out was go to the agjoining fence and wait for the babies to join her.