Horse ok to be stabled alone?

Tori3610

Visit site
I currently own a 15.3hh, 7yo, skewbald gelding. He is my pride and joy, he’s such a wee character. I’ve kept him on DIY at a quiet little livery yard that you would barely know is there. There’s only 3 liveries and only 2 of us ride. Because of different work schedules, etc, we never ride together, so my horse has gotten used to working on his own in the sand school. When he is in the stable, the other 2 horses are beside/opposite him so he has company. I’m moving him to a bigger, busier yard for the sole purpose of getting him out riding with other people and horses, and getting him used to the hussle and bussle of a bigger yard. There are 10 liveries there and lots of horses. The only issue is, he is going to be in a “temporary” stable until a stable in the main livery barn is free (however long that may be). The stable is on its own in a separate barn right beside the main barn, so he’ll be able to see and hear other horses going past him, but there won’t be any horses with him whilst he’s in the stable. I’m concerned he may get lonely or start to fret, but during the summer there were times where he was in the field on his own and he didn’t seem to care. But I need a second opinion, so any help is greatly appreciated :)

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
you can only try and see what he feels about it.....is this an isolation stable to protect the other horses from potential disease or just because there are no stables in the main yard. if the latter could you keep him where he is until a stable in the main yard is available? if it is a good yard there may not be a stable for some time which wouldnt be fair if he cant cope..

oldie48

Visit site
I'd echo what has already been said. I take Rose away for training and sometimes she is stabled on her own and she's absolutely fine. I just make sure she's got plenty to eat. My previous horse was also fine on his own but I've had others who would have been stressed.

Mister Ted

Visit site
I currently own a 15.3hh, 7yo, skewbald gelding. He is my pride and joy, he’s such a wee character. I’ve kept him on DIY at a quiet little livery yard that you would barely know is there. There’s only 3 liveries and only 2 of us ride. Because of different work schedules, etc, we never ride together, so my horse has gotten used to working on his own in the sand school. When he is in the stable, the other 2 horses are beside/opposite him so he has company. I’m moving him to a bigger, busier yard for the sole purpose of getting him out riding with other people and horses, and getting him used to the hussle and bussle of a bigger yard. There are 10 liveries there and lots of horses. The only issue is, he is going to be in a “temporary” stable until a stable in the main livery barn is free (however long that may be). The stable is on its own in a separate barn right beside the main barn, so he’ll be able to see and hear other horses going past him, but there won’t be any horses with him whilst he’s in the stable. I’m concerned he may get lonely or start to fret, but during the summer there were times where he was in the field on his own and he didn’t seem to care. But I need a second opinion, so any help is greatly appreciated :)

Not an ideal situation and it will be in a new environment for him,so he may complain. If he has been on his own in the field he might be more accepting of it. A stable mirror could help and some hanging licks to keep him occupied.A light left on at night if you are allowed too.

southerncomfort

Visit site
Is their any way you could you try stabling him on his own where he is currently to see how he copes?

Even if it's just for a few hours it should give you an idea whether its likely to be an issue.

Bellaboo18

Visit site
I agree with others that it depends on the horse.

There's three outcomes;
He goes absolutely nuts
He looks like he's ok but is really just coping and it will show up in other ways e.g becoming nappy to ride.
He's actually so chilled out he's ok with it.

I wouldn't risk it especially as you're not sure how long it'll be for.
Can't you put the move off till there's a stable free in the main barn?

Leo Walker

Visit site
Mine is in a block of 2 on her own behind the main yard. Theres horses in the field behind her and shes next to the school so sees them coming and going. Shes fine. My old pony would have been fine. The one before that would have smashed the stable into firewood!