Horse on box rest - HELP!!

SpanishNeddy

Visit site
My horse has now been on box rest for 1 week (another 7 to go!).

He eats his hard feed and his nut ball fine but is being really fussy with his hay. He is usually one of those horses that scoff every last grain of hay so this is quite unlike him. I think it is because he is on box rest he is slightly miserable :(

He eats some hay but then does leave LOADS! and refuses to eat it. Does it matter if he isnt 'grazing' throughout the day? as I know they should be grazing all the time (especially if on box rest).

I keep not putting new hay in and leaving the hay he wont eat (thinking he will eat it if he is hungry!) but my plan doesn't seem to be working!!!!!

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Ginger Bear

Visit site
My boy was on box rest after an op for 4-5 months.. wouldn't eat his hay either, was very stressy & so I resulted in givin him haylage, which he loves.. still didn't keep his weight on but at least he was eating.

Hedwards

Visit site
my mare was on prolonged box rest last year after getting concussive laminitis in one of her forelegs, so I was also really concerned about weight etc, so she only got small nets of soaked hay, to supplement she would get a large trug full of Top Spec top chop lite, which she would pick her way through each day and night as well as picking at her het (she wasnt impressed at soaked haylage!)

May be worth looking into a chaff as a substitute?

FriendlyCob

Visit site
Hi

Sorry to hear your horse is on box rest........... just wondered if it was worth looking at using some ready grass, maybe could be a part subsitute if nothing else?

I did pick grass by hand for my boy when he was in, yes it kills your back but his little face when I took it in was worth it :D

good luck xx

scarymare

Visit site
I've got one on box rest same - really fussy and I've got excellent haylage. I think its all about stress tbh. I've now brought in a companion for her and its solved the problem - even had to top up at late check yesterday:confused:

SpanishNeddy

Visit site
Thanks all.

I have bought him readigrass and bran mash which seems to be helping, he is gobbling that down well! but still picking at hay :(

Not doing many poo's either. About 1 every 12 hours. I guess as he isnt eating much he wont I suppose!

be positive

Visit site
I would be concerned if only passing two droppings in 24 hours he should be getting more fibre going through his system, otherwise he must be at risk of colic.
Can he have haylage, speedi beet, fast fibre anything to get more going through him. I would be feeding him small feeds every hour or two trying to get his interest, picking grass and nettles for him also.
You dont say why he is on box rest, can he go out for a leg stretch or is it not allowed.

charlimouse

Visit site
Gosh I wish my horse currently on box rest was like this, he is currently eating me out if house and home!

How about trying readi-grass or similar, or fibre beet?

SpanishNeddy

Visit site
Yes he is on box rest after just having operation, so no walks in hand unfortunately.

After speaking to vet Saturday I have changed his diet to include ready grass and bran mash....which he seems to like so hopefully that will help

**Vanner**

Visit site
I feel your pain - my boy is just coming off box rest but he had the opposite problem as he had to be on a strict diet.

Anything that gets fibre through him has got to be good so smaller feeds of redigrass and bran would be ideal along with anything else he will take.