Horse on the Côte d’Azur - advice please

BeverleyS

New User
Visit site
We are moving to France and will be in Mandelieu, near Cannes. We have a 21 year old KWPN we will be taking with us. Thankfully still fit and active. He will stay in full UK livery until we can find him a suitable livery in France. Please does any one know of anywhere on the Cote d’Azur they can recommend. I’m fully aware it‘s not horse-country we are moving to and we will be happy with just a field and stable and companions for him to retire to. We don’t want to farm him out to retirement in the UK as it feels like we are abandoning him. But equally we cannot avoid the move as it’s work related. Many thanks.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I can't help with what you are asking Beverley, sorry, and I hope my input isn't out of place. I'm just afraid for you that if you move to somewhere in France which is "not horse country" it will also be "no horse vet country", and it can be a very difficult situation for a horse owner not to be able to access equine experts. If you've already thought that through please ignore me.

Last edited:

BeverleyS

New User
Visit site
Thank you. The vet and the farrier are no problem. Elite equestrian sport in the area means it’s well served. Although obviously at a cost. Fabulous livery facilities also exist, again at a cost. The sport there is high level showjumping and dressage. But we are hoping to find a quiet life in semi-retirement for him. He hates the school nowadays so an air conditioned menage would not impress him.

BeverleyS

New User
Visit site
Well “horse country” for me means people loving their horsey life on a very ordinary basis. Hacking, grooming, bonding, meeting other people with a love of horses. It means people loving their horses as part of their family rather than as a sports machine. And if we’re not fortunate enough to be able to keep our horse at home with us, then we can hopefully keep him with loving people on a friendly yard. It’s a huge price to pay for me to take him to France at his age (I wouldn’t dream of leaving him behind!) and I’d really appreciate any positive comments anyone has.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Thank you. The vet and the farrier are no problem. Elite equestrian sport in the area means it’s well served. Although obviously at a cost. Fabulous livery facilities also exist, again at a cost. The sport there is high level showjumping and dressage. But we are hoping to find a quiet life in semi-retirement for him. He hates the school nowadays so an air conditioned menage would not impress him.

OK I misunderstood your use of the term 'not horse country'. Apologies.

onlytheponely

Visit site
Hi Beverley,

I'm in Finistere so the wrong end/side of the country to be able to help in any way that would be really useful.

The yards over here can be VERY different to what we know in the UK. Keeping horses stabled 23hrs a day can be the norm at some yards sadly, so finding a livery yard with enough grazing for plenty of turnout can be a struggle. If you google 'pension chevaux' and your desired area that will bring up numerous yards, it will then just be a question of contacting them. You probably won't find what you're really looking for until you've arrived and had a chance to look around.

Or have a look on www.leboncoin.fr you are more likely to find people with their own land looking for someone to share on there.

https://www.leboncoin.fr/recherche?category=28&text=pension chevaux&locations=06150__43.55258529588111_6.982890300114746_9883_5000

The only thing I would bring your attention to is this;

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...taking-horses-abroad-if-theres-no-brexit-deal

I've been bringing ponies over from the UK for the last 12 years and my regular transporter isn't taking any bookings for next year at the moment. Just something to be aware of.

Good luck.

Last edited:

BeverleyS

New User
Visit site
Thank you so much for that last post. I’ve been reading up on it overnight. When I previously enquired to transport companies a month ago, no one said that Brexit would halt horse transport. Maybe I will have to consider UK retirement livery instead. Currently he’s on a fabulous yard but it‘s full competition standard and I simply cannot afford it any longer. Ive advertised him for loan as he’s a perfect hack and I would still pay half his livery fees but not a single response so that’s not an option.

BeverleyS

New User
Visit site
Thank you. Please let me have the details. That’s very kind of you. I’m in a dilemma where I just want what’s best for him and know I’ll be able to afford it for him for the rest of his life.

onlytheponely

Visit site
Sorry to have been the bearer of potentially bad news but I know I'd much rather know about this in good time rather than at the last minute. Moving to a new country is so stressful anyway. I know a lovely place in the New Forest as well but I think the waiting list is quite long.