Horse out on loan - should I ask for her back??

claire1976

Visit site
Just need a bit of advice- my 20 year old TB mare went out on a 12mth loan last year as a light hack/companion. There are no concerns with her care or anything at the moment but the loaners circumstances have changed. The 12mth loan period is up in August but the loaner wanted to keep her permanantly. So recently I had started to look for another horse as my stable is still vacant.
The loaner has now split from her partner and says she wants to keep my horse but cannot commit long term and its all dependent on weekly overtime to finance the horse.
This puts me in a difficult situation - at any point she could come back, however, my stable may be not vacant forever (I am lucky the farmer has left it available to me!)
If money is an issue I am concerned she may not get the supplements she needs etc.
I am now thinking of asking for her back now whilst I can guarantee a stable for her rather than wait until the 11th hour and have a horse sent back with nowhere to put her!
This is all new to me, have never loaned a horse before!

Tammytoo

Visit site
Get her back. If the loaner is having problems you don't know how this will affect your horse, better safe than sorry whilst you have somewhere to put her.

I presume you signed a loan agreement which should state how much notice you need to give her, but I think I would try and get her back sooner.

claire1976

Visit site
She's not close enough to share unfortunately. I feel a bit like I am sticking the knife in as she's very upset over the split but my priority is my horse, I've had her 13 years so she is very special to me.

claire1976

Visit site
Yes there is an agreeement - she has to give a months notice to return her but it was left open at my end - if I had concerns about her welfare etc I could get her back.

ihatework

Visit site
The honest answer is I don't know!

The positives are that is sounds as if the horse is well cared for and you have a good two way dialogue with the current loaner.

For me it boils down to
a) is it your preference to take this horse back or would you prefer to get another one (for whatever reason)
b) if you would prefer to get another, what is your back up plan for your loaned horse? Could you afford to contribute financially if your loaner was strugging?

At the end of the day the decision is yours. I'd personally want to be near enough to keep an eye now I knew there were potential financial problems, and I'd also be keeping a back up plan available!

Polos Mum

Visit site
If you're happy with the care the horse has had and the loaner and you wouldn't otherwise be looking for the horse back I'd consider whether it would be cheaper/ more settled for your horse for him/her to stay where they are but agree to contribute to her care as necessary if your loaner struggles in the short term.

The loaner may well sort her situation out in the medium term and the status quo will be restored, or it may get worse in which case you can have the mare back.

Good loaners are hard to find so I'd stick with this one a little longer if practical.

TommisMum

Visit site
As a loanee and a loaner I know both sides.
Personally your loanee is being very honest about her cicumstances - she is giving you notice as per her agreement to look after your horse and has 5 months left of your agreement. Duting the past 7 months your loanee has looked after you horse as per that agreement.

Under what condition are you going to be asking for your horse back early? You have no indication of neglect and whist saying the finances may mean your horse isnt getting supplements there is no proof and only your assumption based on your loanee being very honest. Whilst your agreement says "concern" and you could have her back be aware that 5 months is long time for circumstances to change and your loanee may well be being pessimistic. If you were happy enough for her to have in the first place is your only concern the aupplements - in which case can you financially assist - after all you would need to find all costs if she came home?

As to having looked for another horse I feel that was a little early on your part as legally. you should stay in a position to have your horse back in August. Once this date is met then change the loan agreement to a permanent loan - or ensure your loanee buys your horse for a nominal amount (eg £1) and then you dont have the worry of having the horse back when unexpected OR if your loanee can not afford your horse then have her back.

I think you are being a little reactive to an emotional situation and whilst the finances may be dodgy at the moment things do change!

Dont jump before think ing it through and talking your concerns with your loanee.....

Booboos

Visit site
If the loaner is struggling to keep the horse on a week by week basis she is in a very precarious position. How will she pay livery fees the week she does not get paid overtime? What will she do if there is an unexpected cost like more hay needed or a ripped rug?

From what you are saying the loaner can no longer cope. I would try to have a very frank conversation with her where this would come out hopefully and you could agree to take the horse back.

Aarrghimpossiblepony

Visit site
Offer to take the horse back until she has settled the current crisis in her life. And say that you are willing to reloan her in a few months when there's a clearer picture of what is happening to the loaner long term.

She maybe grateful.

WelshD

Visit site
It seems a shame for the loaner to have looked after the horse for the last 7 months over a horrid winter only for him to be taken off her now

If she is managing and wants to carry on then personally I would let her. There would have been a chance you'd have had to have the horse back in August anyway so nothing really has changed as long as his welfare is being taken care of (which it sounds like at the moment it is)

If the loaner is confident that her problems are short term then I would let the horse remain with the proviso that you are allowed to make regular visits and you expect weekly texts

You could always provide the supplements yourself if you feel the horse may be short changed on those - you'd be paying for them anyway if you took the horse back

I think the stable availability situation is clouding the actual situation if that makes sense

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
I think the loaner deserves to be treated as honestly as she is treating you. She cares well for the horse and has kept you in the picture regarding her finances and the long term future prospects after August.
The loan was set to end in August, so give her that time. It gives you time to review your plans and to advertise for another loan or buyer f needed.
In the meantime, maybe you could have a chat about costs and offer to help with the cost of supplements while the woman gets back on her feet. That way you'll be sure your mare gets what you want her to have.

kateo

Visit site
cannot commit long term and its all dependent on weekly overtime to finance the horse.

Ignoring everything else, this would concern me that from week to week there is no financial certainty. I would make sure that you continue to be able to take the horse back should it be necessary.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Ignoring everything else, this would concern me that from week to week there is no financial certainty. I would make sure that you continue to be able to take the horse back should it be necessary.

That's what would concern me, and they reason why I'd be having the horse back.

zaminda

Visit site
I had a similar situation with my current loaner. The lady had her hours cut and was unsure if she would be able to continue to have him. She was very honest about it, and had even had people asking about him (he was for her daughter) but I said I wasn't just going to reloan him. Thankfuly her situation sorted itself and he stayed with her. In this case she just needed some time to sort things out. Your own loaner may be similar, and I would be having a gentle chat with her before I did anything.

SNORKEY

Visit site
I'd be tempted to have her back but I'd be worried about upsetting her even more if she's just split from her partner. Your horse may be being a good friend to her at the mo. I know if I was to split with my hubby I'd be crying on my horses shoulder!
If she doesn't seem very upset by her split then talk to her and see what she says, she may agree that you should have her back as your stables only available now.

happyhacking:)

Visit site
i think your being a bit unfair on the loaner personally. On what grounds are you removing the horse? That shes found things a bit difficult the last few months since her partner left? well I think that you will find that a lot of people have found it tough this winter most of us have had much higher costs for hay ect. I personally have used 3 times more hay this winter than i expected. Have i felt it financially yes of course i have. but that does not mean i'm going to throw the towel in and send the two horses i have on loan home (and yes i do rely on overtime pay too)
Talk to her by all means give her the choice of you having the horse back. But please don't just take the horse back because you think she might not be able to pay for it in a few months time who knows what will happen between now and then. Tbh it sounds to me like you are looking for an excuse to bring the horse back. its not your loaners fault that you have an empty stable that you may soon lose. thats part and parcel of putting horses out on loan in my opinion. Sorry to sound harsh.

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
If the OP has a cheap stable on a good yard, without the likelihood of finding similar elsewhere in the area (I'm guessing here), then I'd not be prepared to lose that for the sake of giving the loanee the summer with the horse.

The way I read it, the loanee is basically saying she's giving the horse back before next winter, but that she may have to give it back sooner and at very short notice, if overtime is not available one week.

I don't see her circumstances as short term, she's gome from a two income household to a one income household and has said overtime is funding the horse. That's not a short term problem. If she'd said, for example, that she was waiting for her tenancy agreement to end so she could move into a shared house and therefore afford the horse, that would be a short term problem. But she's not. Like most people who loan (and some who own), she's losing the horse as the first way of trying to make income fit expenditure. That's why people loan IME, so they don't have a permanent commitment.

Polos Mum

Visit site
That's what would concern me, and they reason why I'd be having the horse back.

Shouldn't all people who have a horse out on loan have a plan in place incase their horse comes back this afternoon? (I do).
Any loaners situation can change at short notice (redundancy, illness etc.) and no matter what contracts say owners should be in a position to have their horse back in a few hours IMHO.

This loaner is just letting you know her situation - I'd talk to her and see whether having the horse back would be helpful to her or whether she wants to wait and see whether things settle down again.
If she's told you this volunterrily it suggest to me she isn't going to start neglecting the horse's welfare suddenly (that sort of person probably wouldn't warn you first!!)

claire1976

Visit site
Thanks for all the opinions and advice. I do have a good relatioship with my loanee and don't want to cut my nose off to spite my face as such. This isn't a short term issue, she has gone from 2 incomes to 1 and if she is working overtime on a weekly basis to fund the livery then is she able to give enough time to ridden work - which was one of the things I still wanted her to do as my horse benefits from regular light work. She is being honest but basically saying its a week by week basis. I'm not sure I like that uncertainty. Going to talk it over with her later.

smellsofhorse

Visit site
I would have a serious talk with the loaner.
Keeping a horse relying on eeee by week over time is not safe.
If horse or person had and accident where would extra money come from?

Maybe having horse back and either keeping her yourself or finding another permenant home would be safer

Rather than horse being returned at short notice.
Then could could already have another or, or lost your stable.

Talk is over and be frank about your worries and ask loaner to be truthful.

happyhacking:)

Visit site
Like most people who loan (and some who own), she's losing the horse as the first way of trying to make income fit expenditure. That's why people loan IME, so they don't have a permanent commitment.[/QUOTEa

it is that view on loaners that really really winds me up. People loan for all sorts of reasons NOT because they don't want a permanent commitment!!!

pansymouse

Visit site
Personally if she is an otherwise good loaner I would leave the horse with her but would check it more frequently, parhaps weekly until things settle financially. I'd make myself known to the loaners yard owner/manager in case there were financial/welfare issues. I would also be prepared to make a contributiuon to the costs for a while; it would almost certainly work out cheaper than having the horse back. A word of caution though, make sure any contribution is paid direct to the service provider (farrier, vet, livery, feed merchant etc) so you are sure the horse benefits; giving cash to a financial challenged person would not be a good idea. On a persopnal level the loaner will really benefit from the distract of having ahorse to care for at this time.

Spit That Out

Visit site
Could you offer a little financial assistance, perhaps buy the hay or feed or maybe pay for the shoes just until she gets herself sorted?
It sounds like she has been a good loaner up to now and she has been very honest with you about her situation.
With the nicer weather coming up would your horse cope being turned out 24/7 at your yard until you can get a stable sorted out if she has to give notice at short notice?
It sounds like she really thinks a lot of your horse and it would be a shame to remove her on a what if.

claire1976

Visit site
I could offer a little support if needed, although my hubby wouldnt be too happy about this! He would rather she come back than him pay for a horse I don't have the benefits of using.
She is a good loaner and I have been very happy with the arrangement so far. We have plenty of turnout at my yard but only 1 spare stable so if that went then its very unlikely another one would come up. Of course I could always find another yard nearby if needed, its just that my current one is so convenient and cost effective.
I think I need to have an honest talk with her, she knows I am willing to have her back but she has expressed an interest in keeping her, just that she doesnt know how long for! Her financial situation is very precarious and unlikely to change, she also has a pony on loan so its a big expense.

touchstone

Visit site
If there is a chance that you could lose your stable, then I'd take the horse back now, explaining to the loanee that you need to keep the space and that once her circumstances are more secure you'll happily loan out again and that she is welcome to ride/visit the horse whenever she wants.

Leaving the horse with her exposes you to a tricky situation if she finds she can't cope and has to return the horse and you are left with nowhere to put it.

It would be nice to leave the horse with her, but I think it leaves you and the horse vulnerable.