Horse owners attitude

CBFan

Visit site
To be honest ' attitude' among horse owners seems to be a big problem and I think (as an outsider looking in) you could have come across a bit of a tell tale rather than a caring fellow horse owner... your approach to the lady of the problem horse could have been quite different... more along the lines of a request like 'xxx please could you get yyy in... he's causing trouble at the gate and has just narrowly missed kicking zzz. I'm just worried there could be an accident in a minute that you could be held liable for'

rather than telling her ' your horse just kicked so and so' which comes across as a bit of an attack and I know would get my heckles up if I were on the recieving end.

As for making judgements on other peoples horse management... think twice - someone could be doing exactly the same about you. It's spring and IMO horses (whatever their size) are better off being slightly light weight at this time of year than well covered. Not everyone feeds manufactured feeds... there's nothing wrong in that.

meesha

Visit site
are you really saying that all the horses come in at night and therefore there are 35!!!!!!! horses waiting by one gateway as it is one big field !!

To me that is mental - if it was a big field of 50+ acres with 35 but none of them were ever brought in (apart from farrier etc) or fed by bucket then you probably wouldnt have such an issue as they wouldnt congregate in one area. I am v suprised that a person hasnt been injured as well as horses!

I speak from experience after being crushed into gateway by horse which was being kicked by another horse behind me as i tried to get it through gateway - I was lucky it jumped back into field over me but I only ended up with broken wrist as rubbish gateway post gave (thank god)

ps cant imagine state of gateway in winter !!

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Ha ha try £36 a week DIY and thats the cheapest in the area, the yard owner spends from 7.30am-10am everyday there......I'll swop her for my life :D

Thats £1260 a week, well if she reads this thread she will be glad she keeps her books up to date for HM Customs and Excise then.

Mypinkpony

Visit site
To be honest ' attitude' among horse owners seems to be a big problem and I think (as an outsider looking in) you could have come across a bit of a tell tale rather than a caring fellow horse owner... your approach to the lady of the problem horse could have been quite different... more along the lines of a request like 'xxx please could you get yyy in... he's causing trouble at the gate and has just narrowly missed kicking zzz. I'm just worried there could be an accident in a minute that you could be held liable for'

rather than telling her ' your horse just kicked so and so' which comes across as a bit of an attack and I know would get my heckles up if I were on the recieving end.

As for making judgements on other peoples horse management... think twice - someone could be doing exactly the same about you. It's spring and IMO horses (whatever their size) are better off being slightly light weight at this time of year than well covered. Not everyone feeds manufactured feeds... there's nothing wrong in that.

I prob did go in a bit attcking but she knows that she is meant to get horses in, she knows they kick and she knows i would have to get mine past hers, why would anyone not say, hold on ill just grab them for you so you can get past?

Not sure hip bones popping out, i'd get photos for you if they didnt have rugs on 247 to hide this, goes as slightly light. I only feed balancer and chaff, im not a feeder :D but hey who am i to judge maybe they are poor dooers? She can feed her horses how she likes, everyone is different, they are her horses to do as she wishes.

theres no point in me saying this....he's causing trouble at the gate and has just narrowly missed kicking zzz. I'm just worried there could be an accident in a minute that you could be held liable for' when he had already done it? thats why i said 'your horse just kicked so and so' is that not correct or am i missing something:eek: Sorry?

Mypinkpony

Visit site
Thats £1260 a week, well if she reads this thread she will be glad she keeps her books up to date for HM Customs and Excise then.

I know :eek:

And the most frustrating bit is...if only she put a little back into the yard :mad:

fencing into smaller paddocks would be the first thing:D

fatpiggy

Visit site
Even if there are only 4 horses in 2 acres you can still get the same situation. I would ask your YO if they refuse to do anything, if they have good insurance? Imagine what would happen in this litigeous world if it wasn't a horse that got injured, but one of the owners? We had something like at my place a few months ago. One of the mares is built like a tank (not nasty, just rude) and flattened two of the liveries who were trying to get their horses through the melee.. in the dark.. in 8 inch deep wet mud. Luckily neither girl was hurt but it certainly rattled them and made them think about their own safety. The mare wasn't being dominant or anything but she is EXCEPTIONALLY greedy and ran through the taped off collection area because she was in sight of her stable and there wasn't any grass in the field so she was hungry.

As to the amount of money being earned, I suspect my place is just the same but on a smaller scale. Its a farm and everything is paid in cash, so no doubt the taxman doesn't know the half of what goes on! No wonder they can afford several foreign holidays a year.

CBFan

Visit site
I prob did go in a bit attcking but she knows that she is meant to get horses in, she knows they kick and she knows i would have to get mine past hers, why would anyone not say, hold on ill just grab them for you so you can get past?

Not sure hip bones popping out, i'd get photos for you if they didnt have rugs on 247 to hide this, goes as slightly light. I only feed balancer and chaff, im not a feeder :D but hey who am i to judge maybe they are poor dooers? She can feed her horses how she likes, everyone is different, they are her horses to do as she wishes.

theres no point in me saying this....he's causing trouble at the gate and has just narrowly missed kicking zzz. I'm just worried there could be an accident in a minute that you could be held liable for' when he had already done it? thats why i said 'your horse just kicked so and so' is that not correct or am i missing something:eek: Sorry?

Ok, the horse kicked the other horse - horses do that! BUT did he cause injury - that is the difference... fine if you want to say it as it is with'your horse just kicked so and so' but there are more tactful ways of delivering these messages... there are also very effective ways of dealing with such problematic horses at the gate and I would have no hesitation in carrying a schooling whip to the field and using it in the direction of said problem horse (NB IN THE DIRECTION OF - no need to make contact) it will only need shoing away once or twice to get the message - they aren't stupid!!

fatpiggy

Visit site
Ok, the horse kicked the other horse - horses do that! BUT did he cause injury - that is the difference... fine if you want to say it as it is with'your horse just kicked so and so' but there are more tactful ways of delivering these messages... there are also very effective ways of dealing with such problematic horses at the gate and I would have no hesitation in carrying a schooling whip to the field and using it in the direction of said problem horse (NB IN THE DIRECTION OF - no need to make contact) it will only need shoing away once or twice to get the message - they aren't stupid!!

Don't bet on it. A person I know did that just recently with another livery's new horse (youngish TB mare) and it double barrelled her in the chest :( I've also had a near miss from a 16.2 heavy cob which took offence at me shooing him away from my mare when I turned her out and he did the stallion bit and went for her.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
there are also very effective ways of dealing with such problematic horses at the gate and I would have no hesitation in carrying a schooling whip to the field and using it in the direction of said problem horse (NB IN THE DIRECTION OF - no need to make contact) it will only need shooing away once or twice to get the message - they aren't stupid!!

A kicker like that needs to be out of the field. And you wafting your schooling whip around will make no difference to their attitude at all.

Mypinkpony

Visit site
Just a quick update, had a very unpleasent run in with her mother last night as when i went to get my horses in he was at the gate, arounf 5pm, so i checked his stable was ok to put him in, and led him in shut the door behind me. :p Personally feel that was fine to do if it save me or a horse being kicked, her horse, my horses and me were all safe and sound!

She went mental :eek: told me if i ever touch her horse again i'll see what happens to me! Very rude!

Luckily a large number of the yard stood up for me and explained that he was dangerous when he wanted to come in before other horses, she wouldn't believe me when i said it, and i should not have to put myself in that situation and there was nothing wrong with what i did.

Told the yard o and she has given her one more chance to have her horse in by 3pm in summer, she's paying a girl who works there, or he will be penned off by himself.

So yes one very nasty argument later but it seems to be sorted now - Ill update how it goes from here. :D

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
You see - I think this is unfair on the horse. Why on earth should it be in by 3.00pm in the summer.

Why doesn't the YO just get his finger out of his backside and organise some alternative turnout for it?

Don't you have 24/7 turnout option in the summer?

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I can't believe this kind of situation! YO should arrange for individual TO for the offending horse and charge owner extra for it if it incurs a cost. That is what I would do, and if owner was not happy then she could leave. It may not just be a horse that gets kicked next time, it could be a person. This type of behaviour is very often caused by horses being hungry. You never get the problem when a yard is full or part livery only because horses get brought in in pecking order. There really is no other way. Chasing other horses away with whips is just not acceptable and the horses bear grudges against the lower ranked horse that it being brought ot before them. Horses do not think 'oh, it's all right that Smokey is coming in before me even though I'm boss, because it is a human that is making him come in before me.' Horse just thinks 'what a cheek, I'm going to have to show him who's boss all over again. This time better make sure I give him a really good kicking!' Bringing horses in out of pecking order just has a really unsettling effect on a herd that will continue to escalate.

WandaMare

Visit site
I don't understand why so many YO's stand back in this type of situation. For the safety of the people and the horses they need to manage the yards, not leave other liveries such as yourself to take the flack and put yourself in a potentially dangerous situation. I would be very wary of keeping my horse somewhere where the YO has no backbone.