Horse passed an Incomplete vetting

PollyS

New User
Visit site
Hi there!

I have recently purchased a 5 year old exrace horse from a dealer, I got her vetted by a vet they recommended (they recommended 3 practices) and she passed.... I got her home and the first day I rode her I noticed something was off, rode her 2 more times (only walk and trot in the school) and she was getting worse.

I received the vetting information by email about 4 days after she came home and I noticed that they didn't lunge her on a small circle on the hard, so I did and she is crippled. Looks sound in a straight line but so lame in front and behind on a circle on the hard.

I want to send her back and get my money back but don't know where I stand with regards to the fact she passed a 5 stage vetting all be it and incomplete one!

Can anyone help or has anyone been in a similar situation?

lamlyn2012

Visit site
Is there an explanation of why that wasn't done? When I bought my last horse the vet didn't lunge on the hard because "no safe place to do it". But this was my own vet and trusted his judgement.
Did you have bloods taken which you can have tested for medication?
If the horse can not be ridden then is not fit for purpose and you should be able to return, but some dealers can be very difficult.

PollyS

New User
Visit site
They stated there was no safe place to do it, although I know they have a big lorry park and there would have been somewhere to do it! Yes had bloods taken, I am just worried because obviously she 'passed' a vetting on the dealers yard and why would he take back a lame horse if it passed when it was with him ?

Melody Grey

Visit site
What purpose was the horse vetted for? Just wondering if there’s a justifiable reason to omit the lunging on a hard circle? I would expect a 5 stage to include this though regardless or for you to have been notified that this hadn’t been done immediately?

lamlyn2012

Visit site
I think vettings are very subjective and only a snapshot of how the horse was on the day. It will not guarantee the horse is 100pc sound. In your situation I would have the bloods run and would contact the vet to question why lunging wasn't done as, in your opinion, there was a safe place to do it.

dixie

Visit site
Have you got your own vet out to check her- she might just have a bruise?
I don’t think they lunge on a hard surface for a two stage vetting / is this the reason why or did you have a 5 stage?

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
Sometimes it is not possible to carry out a part due to lack of facilities however I would expect the vet to flag this. I would also expect to speak to the vet and them taking me through their findings as there's usually a little something, before completing the sale.

PollyS

New User
Visit site
She was vetted as an all-rounder, I said she would eventually be competing att around 1m tracks and occasionally hunting. The vet called me after the vetting but never mantions the fact she wasn't lunged on the hard, I will have the bloods run and see what that come up like!

Squeak

Visit site
Out of interest - what does she look like on a surface? What was it that made you feel she wasn't right and to check what she was like on a circle on the hard?

TPO

Visit site
Maybe speak to citizens advice? As she was bought from a dealer it's a trade deal rather than private and you have consumer rights to return within a certain timeframe iirc.

PollyS

New User
Visit site
Out of interest - what does she look like on a surface? What was it that made you feel she wasn't right and to check what she was like on a circle on the hard?
She looked OK the first day, but was lame in her trot to walk transitions, then the next time she was a bit worse then the last time I sat on her she wouldn't even go in to trot and looked lame on the lunge too, thats why I lunged her on the hard

PollyS

New User
Visit site
Maybe speak to citizens advice? As she was bought from a dealer it's a trade deal rather than private and you have consumer rights to return within a certain timeframe iirc.
Yes I will that's a good idea! I'm just worried as she passed a 5 stage vetting that they will say she was sound when she left which she wasn't!

Squeak

Visit site
She looked OK the first day, but was lame in her trot to walk transitions, then the next time she was a bit worse then the last time I sat on her she wouldn't even go in to trot and looked lame on the lunge too, thats why I lunged her on the hard

Ah ok, then definitely worth running the bloods and trying to return. Have you spoken to the dealer at all? It might be that they would be happy to take her back or swap her with no hassle.

Equi

Visit site
Don’t spend money trying to do bloods etc. If the horse was sold by a dealer you can return it for a refund - ask bhs for legal advice in case the dealer tries to wriggle out of their legal obligation (just so you know what laws to state to them to get them to refund)

TPO

Visit site
Yes I will that's a good idea! I'm just worried as she passed a 5 stage vetting that they will say she was sound when she left which she wasn't!

The vetting is fit for purpose on the day

If you have an issue with the vetting that's between you and the vet, not the dealer.

If you think the horse was doped then run the bloods

If you want to return the horse the dealer might take her back with no issues. On the other hand they might be reluctant to refund a lame horse that on paper was sound when it left them.

It's been a few years but I'm sure when I've had horses vetted they were walked and trotted on hard ground but lunged in field/school. The latter for lungs/breathing rather than soundness.

You accepted the vetting at the time and proceeded with the purchase. If you think a lame horse was doped to pass the vetting run bloods.

If you think the vetting was conducted wrong your issue is with the vets (however you accepted it by buying the horse?).

You dont have a diagnosis for this lameness. It could be anything and it could be new.

I really think you need to speak to BHS helpline/equine solicitors and get your story straight as to what you think is wrong and what outcome you want.

I had a horse go lame the week after passing a 5 stage vetting. Things happen with horses. It was no fault of the vet who did the vetting or the seller

Gamebird

Visit site
The RCVS Guidance for Pre Purchase Examinations (vettings) states "Flexion tests and trotting in a circle on a firm surface are not mandatory parts of the standard procedure. There may be circumstances when the examining veterinary surgeon concludes that it is unsafe or inappropriate to perform such tests".

You did not have an incomplete vetting.

Marigold4

Visit site
I had exactly the same issue. I couldn't go to the vetting (too far away in Lancashire) otherwise I would have insisted on trotting on small circle on hard surface. I queried this with my own vet and he said it was not mandatory. I had noticed on an earlier video that she seemed not quite right behind and this later turned out to be true - the small circle test would have shown this. She was never quite right and cost me a fortune in vets' bills. I always insist on being present at vettings now.