Horse Passport Survey

Rollin

Visit site
I completed it. BUT they did not ask if vet's ever check the micro-chip, which they do not, either in the UK or France.

However, when we took two youngsters to a local show their chips and passports were checked before we took them off the horse-box, by the organiser. He also checked their vaccinations were up to date.

TynesidePonies

New User
Visit site
i have filled in this survey with the opinion that any input is good and at least iv tried to have some say rather than do nothing and complain about it later, BUT i didn't feel they asked the questions that they should have. nothing about microchip checks by vet upon issuing of drugs or microchip checks at auctions ect. it seemed to me at least to be more focused on the food chain/Tesco scandal and anything to make money from horse owning than actually being any benefit to horse owners.

sharron

D66

Visit site
I've done it, but would have liked to say that it's alright having these rules that responsible people follow, but there's a whole load of horse owners out there who have no intention of getting and correctly maintaining passport and micro chipping records. Until there are sanctions for not doing so what's the point of making us cough up shed loads of money to pretend this country is doing it properly?
Done properly with ownership details recorded it might be worth the expense -but only if everyone joins in.

labruyere

Visit site
the passports were 'sold' on 2 counts

both equally rubbish, i.e.

it's an EU requirement -
yes it is, but if you've ever seen, for an example, a Spanish passport
(perfectly legal in the UK - and I've confirmed that with DEFRA btw)
you will know that, as usual, the UK govt has added

• a plethora of 'gumph' not required by the EU
    plus the 'send it back with another cheque' every time anything changes routine, again NOT required by EU

it proves ownership
no, it absolutely does not
as anyone who's had a loan horse stolen will tell you
(and they issue duplicates at the drop of a hat anyway)

this is just another meaningless, worthless TAX on UK horse owners

-

hnmisty

Visit site
I've done it, but would have liked to say that it's alright having these rules that responsible people follow, but there's a whole load of horse owners out there who have no intention of getting and correctly maintaining passport and micro chipping records. Until there are sanctions for not doing so what's the point of making us cough up shed loads of money to pretend this country is doing it properly?
Done properly with ownership details recorded it might be worth the expense -but only if everyone joins in.

Done.

And agree with the above- honest owners cough up and pay for these, but I sincerely doubt the types of owners whom passports were intended for play by the rules!

KarynK

Visit site
Was VERY disappointed that there was actually no room to comment on what WE horse owners think is actually wrong with the system. All that survey really is is shut up public we have already decided that this is all the fault of the PIO's and we need you to give us some heavily biased data to prove it!

With that data we are going to franchise the issue of passports to one greedy useless company that will pay us to charge you more and provide again at your expense a totally useless database to hold all the duplicates and out of date rubbish on, whist some in society still will not bother with a passport and will still get away with it.

In doing all of this we DEFRA will deflect the fact that it was actually an appalling lack of enforcement that led to this and until this is dealt with it can and will still happen!!! And you will be paying for it all mostly as horse owner tax but also as a tax payer!

ladyt25

Visit site
I did think it would have been better had there been some space to add comments to be honest as I dont feel the questions went far enough. I completed though as I felt better than not! I am concerned it's not being made more public though - how will people find out about the survey?

Does anyone know if RCs, PCs etc are sending it out to members?