Horse Passports

MadBlackLab

Visit site
FROM FACEBOOK

Basically this is a petition to get Horse Passports to be WORTH the piece of paper they are written on as at the moment they are worth nothing. This is what the petition includes

Amend the current horse passport to include:
1. Photograph of the horse.
2. Detachable page or additional document to be used should the horse be placed on loan or into a temporary home, to enable the legal owner to retain the full passport to avoid illegal disposal of the passported animal.

3. Passport should also serve as proof of ownership.
4. Securitymarked to avoid forgery.
5. Introduce enforcement of the existing regulations to include regular compulsory identification and microchip checks at all equine establishments, dealers yards and businesses, horse sales, equestrian shows and events, ferry ports and boarder crossings and traveller encampments to identify those not complying with the regulations and to identify stolen horses and fraudulent passports.

Please sign if you want how horses passports are policed.
We need 100,000 signatures for this to be discussed in the commons.
Please share to other groups/pages you may be on

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/28005

(I didnt set up petition just sharing it)

winter0190

Visit site
Umm this is great and will sign after my question. Who foots the bill for the changes? Like adding the photos ect And all the compulusary checks would we have to pay every year ect. Will it put show entry fees up if every venue must have someone checking. I do think it's a great idea the boarder checks ect and will stop theft ect. It will be fine for the rich, but will the average person struggle to compete ect? Am not trying to put this down and if he extra charges aren't ridiculas I'm more than happy to sign.

MadBlackLab

Visit site
WINTER I really dont know. I've not started this petition I've just sharing. If it gets enough signatures maybe it can be looked into in more detail and iron out any fine details.

I do understand where your coming from and maybe that bit is a bit over the top but maybe random spot checks rather then every show would be a better idea.

Re costs maybe it can be like human passports and get renewed every 5 yrs once horse has mature or so. I really dont know

Polos Mum

Visit site
Can't we just vote to get rid of passports completely. Everyone is in agreement they are not worth the paper they are written on, they serve no purpose - even if you had one that wasn't supposed to enter the food chain, if you wanted a horse to be eaten you'd just get a new passport issued (very easy to do!).
So rather than make the current pointless system more complicated (and I'm sure expensive) why not just go back to what we had before i.e. nothing!
Proof of ownership must always have been receipt/ vet bills/ photos etc up until passports came in!!!

micramadam

Visit site
Just to put a different perspective on this.
Living here (The Netherlands) there doesn't seem to be the same problem with passports as in the UK but they have been around here a lot longer than in the UK.
I have an almost 20 yr old Fjord and a 15 yr old KWPN and have both of their orginal passports.

To compete in affiliated dressage you have to be issued with a 'start pas'. The details on the start pas have to match the details in the passport and you have to have a different start pas for each horse you compete.
The passport and start pas are checked regulalry at the local shows by the secretary and any discrepancies and you are not allowed to compete. That includes any discrepancies in the vaccination history.
There is no 1 central agency responsible for the issuing of the passports, they are issued by all the studbooks. Most of the studbooks have an A and B register. The B register is for those horses/ponies that are not 'pure' but are known to have a pure blood in their breeding.
There is also a Tinker studbook for the coloureds a NRPS (Nederland Riding Pony studbook) and the KNHS issue National passports for those of unknown breeding.

I believe it is a matter of discipline and time for the system to get up and running but it does work.

mutley75

Visit site
I don't think the photo will really cut it. You will be taking it when they are 6/8 months old. In later life will have no resemblance to the horse it is supposed to identify. Have the same issue with my sons passport, photo taken at 12 weeks old funnily enough bears no resemblance to him at 4 1/2!

Clippy

Visit site
Well good luck with this because if the Government couldn't even keep NED's online (which made passports worth having as they could be checked), then they sure as hell won't bother adding more red tape.

Incidentally, yes you can now get a new passport for a horse but they can't be sold into the food chain as section 6 is signed automatically by the issuer in all new passports to prevent this

winter0190

Visit site
Thanks 'handleyCross' didn't read the jus sharing part sorry :-D have signed it and will put questions across to the people who are trying to get this petition through I definatley think its a good idea. Just wanted too check on the finer details. cheers

Star_Chaser

Visit site
God idea but shame they didn't include a section on a diagram with injuries suffered. Its easy to do and include with veterinary stamp would resolve horses being sold on with injuries.

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
Sounds like a costly system to run. Would everyone be happy to pay £70-80 per horse for a passport and for its renewal/change of ownership etc, etc, ? Who polices the system and at what cost ?

I prefer Freeze marking as an indentification system and would like complusory registration for every horse at an equine vet which would be transferrable to another practice if the horse moved.

Lego

Visit site
Signed and reposted on facebook.

Great idea to make the passports more worthwhile - even if the passports are just monitored properly as they are, it would make a big difference. I wouldn't see a problem in paying an annual, or regular fee for registration - if a reasonable amount - to help protect my horse. After all, a lot of people already pay something in terms of microchip or freezemark registration...