Horse poo and motorbikes

_GG_

Visit site
Which include driving fast when it is safe to do so. :)

ETA: Just to mention that I am speaking as a car driver, not a biker, in case there was any uncertainty.

Indeed. ;)

...going in a slightly different direction (from someone who rides a horse, drives a car and rides a bike) - I see fresh horse poo on the road and take it as a warning that there could be a horse somewhere along the road I'm about to ride/drive on. It's valuable information. I wonder if the bloke who came off would understand if I said 'IPSGA' to him?

If he has, he either can't understand it or chose to ignore it all.

I agree...I was really impressed with Dan a few months ago. We were on a country lane two's up on his Blackbird and there was a steaming fresh horse poo up in front. We have comms on the bike so I said, " look how fresh that is" and he responded, "I'm on it baby" then slowed right down to pretty much coasting around the bend where, sure enough, there was a group of riders. All in hi viz, all extremely polite and all extremely thankful for Dan riding past so slowly and quietly. But then, that's something I love about the Blackbird. It sounds like nothing it is so quiet at low revs, but it'll go faster and get there faster than pretty much any other bike on the road :) Mental.

It's all about the observations and your ability to make the right riding choices!

Last edited:

_GG_

Visit site
This thread has made me want to get another bike again. I haven't got a horse now, want something to ride and well...why should I make Dan that lucky ;)

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
GG is not as simple as being able to stop in time, your a biker surely you know that..?

For instance if your on a sports bike going round a bend and the bike is lent over, the only brake you can use it your rear and all you can do is gentle tap it to scrub off a small amount if speed, once your in the corner your committed it's not like driving a car.

Get along to a track day they will teach you this basic stuff

If you pull the front brake on you will stand the bike upright and go straight ahead into the tree / field/wall what ever is at the side of the road.

Not so, about only using brakes for cornering - you can also use your weight on one bar or the other, also put a bit more weight over onto a foot peg, this will make the bike move slightly over to the side.
Try it on a TD & you might well suprise yourself by shaving off a little more time :wink3:

But, good advice all the same Daytona, for those who dont know about bikes, they need to know in emergency the rider cannot just take a handful of the front brakes, usually this will either send the bike into tank slapper or you will lowside...

TFF, rides on roads more on the gearbox than brakes, tho a different cuppa T on track ;)

Last edited:

twiggy2

Visit site
GG is not as simple as being able to stop in time, your a biker surely you know that..?

For instance if your on a sports bike going round a bend and the bike is lent over, the only brake you can use it your rear and all you can do is gentle tap it to scrub off a small amount if speed, once your in the corner your committed it's not like driving a car.

Get along to a track day they will teach you this basic stuff

If you pull the front brake on you will stand the bike upright and go straight ahead into the tree / field/wall what ever is at the side of the road.

the public road is NOT a track though and you should be riding with other road users in mind, if you cannot see what is around the corner you reduce you speed so if there is something there you can take avoiding action you do not just keep going regardless. I am a bike rider and horse rider i would not gallop a horse around a corner unless Icould see it was safe to do so and I am no different on a bike -i like living

littleshetland

Visit site
I live in an AONB area, on a very beautiful B road that goes directly to a famous beauty spot. The road has beautiful sweeping bends - biker heaven. However, in spite of very clear warning signs for horses and riders on the road (and plenty of them) - they insist on going past my house, my yard and my horses (while ridden) like bats out of hell. Every summer, sadly, there is at least one death within 1 mile or so of my yard. They are simply going too fast on roads that they don't know.

I doesn't help matters when the road in question is featured in a well known motorcycling magazine as a 'top road' for hammering your bike up and down.

LittleMonster

Visit site
As a matter of interest, why isn't that always reasonable?

As Littlemonster said, there could be anything around a blind bend, or over a blind hump. At least it does no harm to slow down to a speed at which one would be able to do a successful emergency stop (or ordinary stop) if necessary.

There is a road to the north of Glasgow which I use frequently - the A809 - which is a fast and, at times, a busy road. Sadly, it is infamous for motorcycle accidents - bikers use it to go up north and they like to meet at the Carbeth Inn which is along this road - and from time to time one sees bunches of flowers at the roadside where accidents have occurred. This road also has a number of blind bends and humps. Over the years, I have encountered numerous cyclists, pedestrians and sheep on this road - even a bl**dy great rock in the middle of the road just over a hump where it had been washed off the side of the hill in a storm. Oh, and the road is subject to flooding too. (I haven't seen any riders for yonks - the road is just too fast - although I have led horses along one of the straighter parts myself in the past.) So when I come to a bend, I always think there is going to be something around the corner - and occasionally there is! And yet you can see people driving like they need to get home 5 minutes ago every single day. :frown3:

I thought it was an unwritten rule to slow down on blind bends??

but maybe we are one of the rare few :D
Because i remember my driving instructor telling me to slow down, if your unsure never add speed is something she told me and il never forget...

This thread has made me want to get another bike again. I haven't got a horse now, want something to ride and well...why should I make Dan that lucky ;)

hahah! I just spat my tea everywhere.... :D
GG thank you for your replies on this thread made very interesting reading sharing your Bike riding knowledge!

_GG_

Visit site
Yep...been on ebay since I wrote that post and managed to find a ZXR400RR for Levrier but nothing for me yet. Got 3 sat needing a bit of work in the garage but none are really my thing. Hmmppphhh

Nicnac

Visit site
I can feel when my horse is about to poo - use my legs to push his backside over to either on or as near to verge/road side I can. Yes - horse poo is extremely dangerous for motor/pushbikes and they tend to be quite courteous so least I can do is return the courtesy as they don't tend to hug the kerb so better change of them not going ar*e over t*t.

Suechoccy

Visit site
Motorcycling advanced training teaches you to watch for obvious hidden hazards on country lanes such as:

horsepoo, cattle poo, mud and slurry, squashed wild animal and bird carcasses, deer and rabbits jumping out of hedgerows, etc.

_GG_

Visit site
Perhaps he should watch this.
It's very clever, and does highlight the reason for not riding beyond your visibility/ ability.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-xK_t-A_8E

p.s. I had a VFR400 NC24 years ago. Took my 5ft 8 cousin to the Isle of Man TT and back. Took her about a week to learn to walk again! :D

Hahaaa, I'm not surprised, I bet her knees never wanted to straighten again!!

fburton

Visit site
I thought it was an unwritten rule to slow down on blind bends??
Yes indeed, but I am struggling to think of anything that would make it "unreasonable" to do so.

but maybe we are one of the rare few :D
Because i remember my driving instructor telling me to slow down, if your unsure never add speed is something she told me and il never forget...
Good advice!

_GG_

Visit site
Yes indeed, but I am struggling to think of anything that would make it "unreasonable" to do so.

Good advice!
Ego is usually what makes it, "unreasonable". A belief a rider has in themselves that they don't have to adhere to such basic advice because they are a good enough rider that they can do it.

Only problem is, egos and two wheels don't make a very safe combination!

There is, simply, no justification for not riding within your limits/to the vanishing point/under the assumption that the road is not clear on public roads. They are public roads. Save the the hooligan riding for a track day!

little_mistress13

Visit site
Yeah, depending on the bike, pit bike would fly through it. A super bike, the wheels are made for roads so horse poo would make it slip. HOWEVER, on a blind bend? he should be going slow enough to see it. There is no law on horse poo so tell him to STOP riding his bike then as the noise scares your horse. It's the same type of argument. His brother is allowed to ride on the road (hopefully) and your horse is allowed to take a crap on the road.