Horse prices... yikes!!

Louby

Visit site
Sadly I lost my beautiful little mare last week, it was unexpected but deep down I knew there was something wrong and I owed it to her to do the right thing.
Im not actually sure how I feel about having another, I know its very early days but Im getting no younger and its a total minefield out there. Saying that Im already lost, and have had a sneaky peep at whats out there and have had to sit down at the prices! I know horses have been too cheap for years but looking at the prices, it makes an already daunting task, even scarier!! A good horse is worth its weight in gold, I get that, but my awful bad luck will be pay the gold for a blooming nutter or something.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Sorry to hear that you lost your mare Louby, she was beautiful. Such a shame she wasn't fixable in the end. Hugs x

IrishMilo

Visit site
I feel you. I gave up my stable after a few months of tentatively looking because I don't want to pay 7k for an average allrounder!

Louby

Visit site
Sorry to hear that you lost your mare Louby, she was beautiful. Such a shame she wasn't fixable in the end. Hugs x
Thank you so much. Its very very sad, she wasnt 7 yet, we tried for almost 2 yrs to fix her, was back hacking out but I knew she wasnt right, then the ulcers and further scans shown irrepairable damage. All I can say is what an honest genuine girl she was as she never put a foot wrong despite obviously being in pain x

Last edited:

doodle

Visit site
I’m sorry. I would say don’t rush into anything. I ignored everyone’s advice and rushed and bought the wrong horse. I continued to pay for stable as was scared of loosing space and then there not being anything.

shamrock2021

Visit site
Sorry for your loss I have joined a few Facebook horse groups a few years ago . When I was looking for my horse I never left the group after I bought my horse. I was completely shocked on the prices a 2 thousand horse in 2018 has gone up to 5 thousand in 2021 .

Reactions: JJS

Louby

Visit site
I’m sorry. I would say don’t rush into anything. I ignored everyone’s advice and rushed and bought the wrong horse. I continued to pay for stable as was scared of loosing space and then there not being anything.
Thank you. its hard isnt it when your horsey life just disappears. Probably a saving grace they are so expensive as I feel Id be too scared to make a commitment!

Louby

Visit site
Sorry for your loss I have joined a few Facebook horse groups a few years ago . When I was looking for my horse I never left the group after I bought my horse. I was completely shocked on the prices a 2 thousand horse in 2018 has gone up to 5 thousand in 2021 .
The crazy thing is, if I seen one for 5k that would be cheap!!

Littlewills

Visit site

muddybay

Visit site
I ended up going a lot younger than I planned! I have to say I wouldn't do it again as you had no chance to go back a few times if you liked it you had to put a deposit down. I'm now seeing very green riders buying 4 year olds as there are no older horses, so I do think there will be quite a few on the market come next year hopefully not too ruined!

Polos Mum

Visit site
OP - sorry for your loss. If you are missing horses but not sure about a big (expensive) next step then maybe look at loaning / sharing. There has been an explosion of adverts for available loans and shares in the last 6 weeks. You might be able to get your horsey fix, and get a feel for riding different horses to work out what you're looking for.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
I feel you, I’m also unexpectedly looking (well I was before lockdown put a stop to it!) and I’ve been astounded by the price of some horses right now, especially those that suddenly mention at the end of the ad that the horse has wobblers/is just coming back from a year of field rest/has done it’s hind suspensories etc.

Fortunately we have the horses at home so it’s not costing anything to have the stable empty but I do sorely miss having something to ride.

skint1

Visit site
I wonder why it hasn't gone the opposite way, I honestly thought with lockdowns and job losses etc the market would tank and there would be loads of horses up for sale at realistic prices but the opposite has proven to be true. I hope at least it ensures good homes for these horses.

Equi

Visit site
It is scary out there. I am never going to be the type to take a punt and make something great out of a steal...my search for a new horse will only start at about 5k which means im going to be going a long long time without a horse unless i can loan. It is sad because i have had 3 wonderful horses all for penitence, but those days are long gone.

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
Stabled next to me is a beautiful mare on loan...originally to event but she hasnt shown a love of jumping so not much done with her at all no hacking, lessons..nothing but the odd lunge or 20 mins ridden in arena. Rising 6 , a nice person, very large 17.2 at least..daughter loves her and wants me to buy as she’s up for sale.... 10k. If she was 3k I would buy but she is essentially as she was when she arrived..a just backed 4 year old. Im out of touch with prices too....

dorsetladette

Visit site
My friends just sold a 3 year old gelding irish daught cross. Just broken and hacked. Sold from the field (has no facilities and field is knee deep in mud) unseen for 4k I honestly thought 1500-2000 tops.

But I picked up my little colt for £150. He's not what I intended to buy but he makes be smile and in this day and age that's important to me.

Lot's of projects that people have bought and realised they can't deal with seem to be coming on the market at the moment so keep an eye on the 'cheap' sites like preloved, gumtree etc you might just find a diamond in the rough. Good Luck!

Trouper

Visit site
I'm so sorry you have lost your girl. It is a heartbreaking time.
We've all been thinking that the economic impact of Covid and a winter might be putting some new, fairer-weather owners off by now but that seems not to be the case yet. Perhaps that is still to come.
I, too, would be tempted to "look" just in case a genuine one came along but it is not easy to go and view just now so maybe after Easter things will be a lot freer.
I know I always say this - but don't forget the charities - there are some really good horses out there needing a good home. However, I would be tempted to speak to them now (rather than just look at their websites) and register your interest in what you are looking for. Hopton Re-hab and Homing are good for horses already (or recently) in work.

tatty_v

Visit site
We’ve been looking for over a year with a healthy budget (up to £7k) for a middle of the road sensible horse and have had absolutely no luck whatsover, even when flexing every criterion we possibly can. The market hasn’t slowed down, our vets say it’s been the busiest few months for vettings they’ve ever had. Quite how people are managing it when we’re in lockdown is a mystery to me (I’m not brave enough to buy unseen!) So now I’m still reading the ads and checking the alert emails everyday but without much hope until there’s a change in the winds!

canteron

Visit site
I am selling my horse - or at least I am not selling it until after lockdown, as I want to try my hardest to find the perfect match and don’t see how I can do that atm. I won’t sell either unseen or without the rider being able to give him a good trial so we are happy it’s a good match!

Sail_away

Visit site
I’m sorry about your girl. With regards to horse shopping, we were shopping recently and the expensive ones aren’t going anywhere - I think sellers are overestimating the market, at least in the price bracket we were looking at (low five fig). We did actually find a cracker well within budget, I think she was the 8th/9th horse we tried over three months or so (broken up a bit with lockdowns etc). So there are horses out there, it might just take a bit of time and searching. But that’s no bad thing if you’re unsure about getting another one soon.

Wizzkid

Visit site
I’m sorry to hear about your mare sounds like you did the best by her.
I know it isn’t the same but is there anything you can share for a while? I appreciate it’s nothing like having your own but it’s something doable at the moment, good luck ?