horse prices

lucym

Visit site
the price of horses seems to be rising everyday!!,
how much would you expect to pay for a 4/5yo, potential event horse, that hasnt done much, but has good conformation, temperament etc.

Thanks!
smile.gif

lucym

Visit site
we have seen some at around 6k, but there are so few around, most horses start at 10k now!!- even the ones that have done nothing.

ElleJS

Visit site
The 'proper' job young event horses (the ones professionals get owners to buy) I know for a fact can average 15k (unproven) In ireland apparently the good young ones can fetch up to something like 25K at auction (euros)

Bossanova

Visit site
You can still pick them up for 2.5-2.5k, just dont bother looking at pro's horses and use your imagination a little!!
Alternatively, ex-racers are a cheaper and often very rewarding way of doing it on a budget....

I cant understand why someone would pay 12-15k for an unproven 4/5 year old, but thats just me!!

eventingdiva

Visit site
Don't know much about selling/buying young eventers, but young unproven (though most with very nice breeding) dressage horses will sell for huge amounts, think somewhere along the lines of up to £100,000!!! x

seabiscuit

Visit site
It can vary wildly depending on who's selling the horse!
Ubroken 4 year old from the stud, good conf,paces, temp- £4k.
4/5 year old that has got into inexperienced hands or is being sold by people who dont know what theyve got- under £4k.

4/5 year old broken and ready to do small shows, in professional yard, decent conf/temp/paces, £7k upwards depending on ability.

Thats not including ex racehorses straight of the track that can be anything from £0 to £2500 !

ElleJS

Visit site
Now a days (unless your are super patient at looking for horses and very lucky) you can't find anything with what I call X factor star quality and ability for under 10k.

sw123

Visit site
I'd agree with ElleSJ and our very smart 4yo is priced accordingly.

If you go to Ireland and see proper unbroken 3yr olds to ridden away 4yo you won't get anything decent for under Euros .

Obviously depends on the market you're looking to sell to or what you're looking to buy. Having looked for a "proper" young horse for a v wealthy owner and looked at over 100 now its v difficult to find top top ones anyway but for under £10k its like a needle in a haystack.

If you've got a 4yo who is well put together, got a ncie temperament, good paces and jump and coming along well you can definitely start at £8k and as they do more increase it.

If you put that horse in a professioanls yard you'd start at £10k and go up from there

ElleJS

Visit site
Its so true! saw a few young ones at Addington today that are quietly on the market, and your talking fairly big bucks to own one of them! and, they do sell at that price!