Horse PTS - WWYD?

JLH85

Visit site
I feel I have now had to make the decision to have my boy PTS and I suppose I would like some opinions that I am doing the right thing. I have not come to this decision lightly but feel its now time. I will try not to ramble on too much.

I have had my boy eighteen months. He is 13 year old TBX. He is the first horse I have owned but have loaned and shared many horses before. I think I was naïve when I bought him and he was the first horse I had tried. I was told he had been mistreated in the past and has a bitter outlook on life. When I went to try him he kept trying to bite me - should have known then! I was told he will only really bond with one person and he was fine with owners so took this as truth.

He does not like people. He cannot tolerate being touched by anyone (unless tacked up when he is good as gold) and he tolerates me. He will try to kick/bite vet/farrier. Farrier has been patient and can now shoe him providing I hold first foot and pass it to farrier. He can be aggressive in the field with people and can be dominant. He is a dominant horse. When he goes to kick you, he means it, it is not a threat. He kicked me with both back feet on my side/hip (luckily just bruised) then he kicked yard owner in the field (hadn't been there long and soon got asked to move). He had never really settled on these yards but the last six months have been on a lovely quiet yard where he seemed settled - he used to weave and hasn't weaved once here so I was hopeful. I have had vet out who has said he isn't right behind and presumes arthritis in hocks. He has been on danilon and supplements with improvement but vet cannot get near him, will not x-ray at yard and for an x-ray he will have to go to vets and be heavily sedated as vet will not go near him otherwise. I know this will be traumatic as I will be worried he will hurt someone, he will be stressed and not cope well and he could never be put on box rest following any treatment as he would not cope. As he is 13, we only hack out I was going to go down the line of supplements and if needed a danilon a day. Vet agreed with this.

However, I have been ill in hospital for three weeks (back out of hospital and okay now) so YO and her husband have looked after him for me. When I am not there he stays out. YO told me today that when her husband went to get him in on my first day in hospital he has double barrelled husband in arm (black and blue thankfully not broken) and in his ribs (cracked 3 ribs). Thankfully YO is wonderful and supportive and has told no-one else to handle him (we all help each other out) and she alone will deal with him if I am not there. He shares a field though and its not possible for other ppl not to interact with him. Due to this I feel he is a danger to myself and others. I never feel I can trust him and I always have a slight sense of dread in the back of my mind and I just don't feel I can continue to let him be a threat to others. I could never forgive myself if he hurt anyone. I could never sell him on as couldn't bear for him to be passed about and don't know where he would end up.

I feel PTS is my only option as I can never see any resolution to this. He is very set in his ways behaviour wise and now with arthritis I cant bring myself to put him through anything else. Am I doing the right thing? Would you do this or would you do something different? I couldn't live with myself if he hurt anyone else. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

SadKen

Visit site
I fully support your decision and I think Iwould do the same in your shoes. It isn't fair to him to be in pain from the arthritis and getting a proper diagnosis will be impossible. Leaving aside the danger he poses to others, this would be enough for me to PTS. His behaviour just confirms it's the right decision imo.

I can hear the heartbreak in what you've posted and just wanted to say that I think you have been a great owner who has done everything you can for your horse. He was lucky to find you.

twiggy2

Visit site
yes I would, I might feel different if I owned my own land and could control every interaction he had with people.
the flip side of this is mentally he does not sound like he exists in a very pleasant place and I would question his quality of life.

Sukistokes2

Visit site
O h dear, what a Mess! you do sometimes wonder what these poor animals go through to make them so scared. I can olny say that I agree with your thoughts. What can you do? You could put him in a field and leave him and be the only person who goes near him, or you can make a descision which allows him to be at peace. I really feel for you.In hind sight maybe he was not the horse for you but hindsight does make things clearer, you can only do your best at the time. I think for your safty and for the safty of those around you it is the only option. You can NOT sell this horse, he could end up in a dreadful way and also he could kill someone. It is a horrid place for you to be I can only send my best whishes. My advice would be sooner rather then later.

fatpiggy

Visit site
I think that PTS will bring him the peace of mind and pain-free body that he deserves. You have done your best with him but clearly it isn't going to get any better for him. Stand by him to the end and you will have done an admirable job.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I am so sorry for your situation it must be so hard dealing with a horse like him everyday, you have tried to turn him around and given him the best chance possible and it seems he has not got any better, it sounds like he is not happy with his life and he is certainly not making you happy, I don't think you really have any choice but to pts, so sorry so sad for you x

Baileybones

Visit site
Different situation but some years ago I had to have a foster dog pts. He was 18months old and beautiful and healthy.
But he bit - hard - and he had no obvious trigger and gave no warnings.

He came to me after he had bitten in two previous foster homes but on both occasions it was men and both men admitted that they had tried to grab him prior to him biting so mistakes made on the part of the humans.

I had him for 6 weeks and he bit me twice, once resulting in stitches.

There was no behaviour to manage as such as no trigger. On one occasion he came over to be stroked and whilst I was stroking his head he bit my hand.

I agonised for over a week and then made the call. I took a healthy lovely dog to the vet and had him pts. At the vets he was bouncing around wanting everyone to fuss him.
I cried more for him than any other as he wasn't physically ill and my guilt was overwhelming.

I guess the point of this is that if you decide to do this your boy will know nothing of it. It's us left behind who suffer then. I made my decision based on the fact that I could get someone else hurt if I didn't and I couldn't carry on like that.

Thinking of you x

ihatework

Visit site
He sounds like one very unhappy horse that has thankfully come into the hands of a responsible owner.

Be confident in your decision. Arrange it, do it and don't discuss to much with other liveries in advance.

Good luck.

Piglet

Visit site
Brave decision good luck, nice to see you are taking responsibility for what you think is the best decision and not passing the buck like lots of others would do. I would hate to be in your position, am sure you have already made your mind up and just want others to agree with you that you are making the right decision

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Yes absolutely, you are doing the right thing. It is not the horse's fault. Humans have made him this way, but he has been given every chance by you and he is unmendable by the sounds of it. Next time he could kick someone in the head and kill them. He is obviously an unhappy horse to feel he needs to be this defensive. Death will be a release for both of you. So sorry x

JLH85

Visit site
Thank you everyone for your kind words. I has been quite matter of fact about it all but reading that just made me cry my eyes out! I know its for the best but unfortunately it doesn't make it any easier. I really wish I had never laid eyes on him - he must have had some horrible things happen to him to be so miserable and grumpy but I still love him given all his vices. I couldn't bear for him to be shot so will go with injection. The vet will struggle to get near him and I couldn't leave someone else to handle him so I will ask the vet if I can give him something to sedate him before he arrives as I want to stay with him until the end. All the other liveries will be very supportive but I will struggle with friends and colleagues who are not horsey and I don't think I will be able to tell them I willingly had him PTS.

comet!

Visit site
I would do the same.

I used to be a complete fluffy bunny at the thought of a horse being pts, but your story sounds very similar to a horse I had (and having just replied on the bought horse back thread, it's fresh in my mind today).

Bede

Visit site
A brave decision and by the sound of it absolutely the right one. A physically unsound horse can usually be managed satisfactorily; a mentally damaged one sometimes- but he is both and his life does not seem to be the joyful thing that life should be.
As for the non horsey friends and colleagues- could you be economical with the truth with them- say it was done on vet's orders or something?

Sorry you are going through this. Still horrid even thought it's the right thing. x

pip6

Visit site
I took on a 'bad' pony, who'd been abused by children. As I was an adult, and she a pony, she quickly realised I was safe and never hurt her. I hope I gave her a wonderful year of care she'd missed out on. If he hasn't come round after 18 months, he's still in a bad place, which despite your best efforts can't be a good life for him. Do the deed, then at last he will know peace and not get stressed again if you can't care for him. We never know what's around the corner, no way can you guarantee to be there as his sole carer. Give the YO & damaged hubby a lovely bottle of their favourite tipple, huge thank you card, and do it quietly. At least you can give him the rest he needs, mentally if not physically. Don't be hard on yourself, he did well coming into your hands. At least you have the love to do what is right by him.

We had to have one pts this year. I had to be there for the kennel man (she hated vets and needles) to do the deed. I left him (he was lovely, made sure it happened on long grass to cushion her fall) with her eating her favourite food. She never knew a thing, now she is free to run with her last daughter. It still hurts so much, but it's me that's hurting now, she is free.

JJS

Visit site
I don't think that you're wrong in any way, but I would suggest one thing. You say that he was fine with the previous owners, so perhaps it would be worth letting them know before the deed is done. They'll be fully aware of how he acts and perhaps they might have the facilities and experience to take him back and handle him. I understand they may not have any interest and you might already have explored this avenue, but perhaps it's worth a try. I know he now has medical issues too, but if he's not suffering terribly it might be an avenue worth exploring. Either way, I don't think anyone will think less of you for making this decision, and I'm so sorry that you've found yourself in this position :(

kimberleigh

Visit site
I can only echo what everyone else has said and commend you for making the right decision for the good of the horse...the right choices are often the hardest unfortunately

I wouldnt rule out shooting - from what you've said having the vet do it with injection (which I personally dont agree with myself) may only serve to stress him. Shooting is (imo) the kindest and fastest method of putting to sleep in horses. I know a very good man who provides this service and have been present whilst the deed is done, and can only sing his praises

Thinking of you x

sula

Visit site
Yes absolutely, you are doing the right thing. It is not the horse's fault. Humans have made him this way, but he has been given every chance by you and he is unmendable by the sounds of it. Next time he could kick someone in the head and kill them. He is obviously an unhappy horse to feel he needs to be this defensive. Death will be a release for both of you. So sorry x

Oh my goodness what a distressing situation for you. However, I agree with the above; death will be a release for both of you and as such I feel you have made the right decision. In a way the decision has already been made by the people who mistreated him and presumably caused the issues you describe. Love brings with it some hard decisions but ultimately yours is one of absolute kindness and release from the mental distress that your horse obviously feels which causes him to mistrust and strike out.

My thoughts are with you. I know only too well how difficult that decision is to make but how right it can be also. Your decision is made out of love and respect for your horse and for others.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Thank you everyone for your kind words. I has been quite matter of fact about it all but reading that just made me cry my eyes out! I know its for the best but unfortunately it doesn't make it any easier. I really wish I had never laid eyes on him - he must have had some horrible things happen to him to be so miserable and grumpy but I still love him given all his vices. I couldn't bear for him to be shot so will go with injection. The vet will struggle to get near him and I couldn't leave someone else to handle him so I will ask the vet if I can give him something to sedate him before he arrives as I want to stay with him until the end. All the other liveries will be very supportive but I will struggle with friends and colleagues who are not horsey and I don't think I will be able to tell them I willingly had him PTS.

Oh bless you I am almost in tears reading this its not your fault you have done an incredible thing trying to give him a happy life, unfortunately he is so badly damaged his never going to trust again, stuff the work colleagues they don't need to know when or why, I hope you have some good friends to support you with this you shouldnt have to deal with it alone, us on here are all behind you if you need someone x

Jenni_

www.facebook.com
In my opinion, if a horse like that doesn't come round with love, kindness, respect, and most importantly, time, then they are really very unhappy and there are a lot worse fates for them than a peaceful end to whatever is going on in their heads.

10 years ago, I knew of a horse like this. Hand reared from a very young age, would only tolerate her owner. I was young and was helping owner around her, getting to know her better, and horse and I were getting on fine with a mutual line of respect between us- I didn't fuss too much, got on with what I had to do, and she tolerated me.

Till the day I went in to retrieve her finished feed bucket from the very front of the stable, and she kicked me in the face- at the age of 14 I had to have facial reconstruction surgery, but that was preferable to the fact I wouldn't be here if she'd made contact any higher up my face.

Horses are dangerous animals, we all know that, and you sound like a very unselfish person so I'm sure you'll make the right decision. But it is a case of how would you feel / how would someone's life be affected if he did one day manage more than a kick to the arm/ ribs?

Thinking of you x

wench

Visit site
I think you are making the right descion. However I would suggest that you get the hunt/local knackerman to shoot him. It sounds as if the vet will have a hard time getting near him, potentially making it more stressful for everyone involved. The knackerman will simply stand back at the required distance and pull the trigger.

russianhorse

Visit site
What a sad situation for you to be in, but I have to agree with everyone else - you would be making the best decision all round and quite frankly and more importantly the best decision for him x

eahotson

Visit site
BHS have a wonderful service Friends At The End.They offer a listening and support service over the phone which is totally non judgemental .There is no rush to come to any sort of Judgement and some can come to be with you if that is what you wish.They have local volunteers who know about local services available as well.

eahotson

Visit site
BHS have a wonderful service Friends At The End.They offer a listening and support service over the phone which is totally non judgemental .There is no rush to come to any sort of Judgement and some can come to be with you if that is what you wish.They have local volunteers who know about local services available as well.
tel no 02476840517. I think you do have to be a member though.

JLH85

Visit site
I think you are making the right descion. However I would suggest that you get the hunt/local knackerman to shoot him. It sounds as if the vet will have a hard time getting near him, potentially making it more stressful for everyone involved. The knackerman will simply stand back at the required distance and pull the trigger.

I don't even know who our local hunt would be :-/ how close do they have to be with a gun? Silly question but is it a loud bang? I think the thought of it horrifies me but if I knew all the details maybe that would be better....

MadisonBelle

Visit site
He sounds like one very unhappy horse that has thankfully come into the hands of a responsible owner.

Be confident in your decision. Arrange it, do it and don't discuss to much with other liveries in advance.

Good luck.

This entirely..... reading your post brought a tear to my eye as it is transparent how much you care..... Take care

be positive

Visit site

I think they have to be touching the head, certainly very close and also have control, the owner cannot stand holding the horse while they aim from a distance, health and safety would not allow it, vet is the safest option for something that may be very difficult to hold still, get some acp or sedalin to give him before the vet arrives, or if you go for shooting it would also help to sedate first, the horse will not know what is going to happen so being mildly sedated will help relax him and should enable the drugs to be administered more easily, they may also opt to give some by im before the main injection.
You need to discuss it with the vet, if your vet is not good with him it may be worth getting someone else in who has no expectations of how bad he is.