Horse PTS - WWYD?

Jaycee

Visit site
I don't even know who our local hunt would be :-/ how close do they have to be with a gun? Silly question but is it a loud bang? I think the thought of it horrifies me but if I knew all the details maybe that would be better....

Agree totally that you have made the right decision given the circustances.
There is no denying it, yes it can be loud but good earplugs will help, the chap that came to put my horse to sleep very thoughtfully a good supply in his truck.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I don't even know who our local hunt would be :-/ how close do they have to be with a gun? Silly question but is it a loud bang? I think the thought of it horrifies me but if I knew all the details maybe that would be better....

If the horse is aggressive or nervous then the consequences of him moving suddenly whilst being shot are unthinkable. I would stick with your plan to get an oral sedative such as dormosdan or sedalin and get the vet.

Last edited:

jrp204

Visit site
My son, who is non horsey was there when his girlfriends horse was PTS, she didn't want to be. He was very impressed with the knackerman, he was told to lead the horse toward the guy, when he got level to him to drop the rope and keep walking. He didn't even know the horse had been shot.

Dannylandrover

Visit site
I agree with OP it is the right decision. I had my Appaloosa 20 years, he was a handful at first but soon became an amazing horse and we had many years of fun together. As he got older i mean late 20's he got more aggressive and at 29 attacked me totally out of the blue. I had checks done and he was diagnosed with dementia, and the vet said the aggression would get a lot worse.
I decided to let him have one last summer ( i had my own field and only i dealt with him) and then before it got cold i called the vet, horse was sedated and then the local hunt put him down. It was a very hard choice but i still feel the right one to this day.
Well done for being sensible OP.

EquiEquestrian556

Visit site
If the horse is aggressive or nervous then the consequences of him moving suddenly whilst being shot are unthinkable. I would stick with your plan to get an oral sedative such as dormosdan or sedalin and get the vet.

You're making the right decision. He will be in a better place and free and peaceful, not here on Earth unhappy.
I would personally give him some Sedalin or Dormosdan Gel, and get the vet to PTS. I personally would never want any of my horses to be PTS with a gun.

Whatever option you decide to use, he will thank you for 'setting him free', and it will prove to him that you loved and had his best interests at heart.

Much strength. x

_GG_

Visit site
OP, my heart goes out to you, it really does. Have a read of the link in my siggy if you are still struggling with this, hopefully it will help you a bit.

As for PTS, normally I opt for hunt, but I am inclined to think that Wagtail has a point regarding safety and risk here and I would probably opt for sedation and vet to ensure it goes smoothly and there is no risk.

It's your call though and I wouldn't judge you on your choice.

Huge hugs and please be kind to yourself, you have my full support and empathy xxx

bollybop

Visit site
Conversely though there are stories on here (and no doubt elsewhere on the internet) when the injection has gone massively wrong...

BeingKate

Visit site
Conversely though there are stories on here (and no doubt elsewhere on the internet) when the injection has gone massively wrong...

I think whatever method is chosen there will ALWAYS be horror stories. Just like there are horror stories about trailers vs lorries, post and rail vs electric fencing, if you see what I mean. OP is doing the best by far for her horse and I wish them both peace xx

_GG_

Visit site

Agreed. I won't judge anyone on what they choose with their own horse...I have always opted for hunt until it came to Fly and I had to mitigate risk of something going wrong.

Ceriann

Visit site
You've done what you can for him and you shouldn't feel guilty for making such a difficult decision. I've had two PTS by injection and both were done very well. Talk it through with your vet, understand what happens and then decide but agree with others comments thst given his sensitivity, sedating him first sounds very sensible. All the best.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
OP whichever method you choose, the chances of something going wrong are very slim. The vast majority of horses PTS go very peacefully. Gun is probably more instant, but yes, it is very loud and most people choose not to watch. Injection is better if the owner wants to stay with the horse. The only reason I suggested you stay with your original decision to go with the injection is because the horse is prone to aggression and therefore I think there is a greater risk of something going wrong with an unpredictable horse. Of course you could sedate and THEN shoot. That may also be an option.

Annagain

Visit site
Just wanted to say, I agree you're doing the right thing. If you're worried about (non horsey) people not seeing why, just say it was on vet's advice to stop him suffering (there's no doubt he is suffering, whether mentally or physically or both.)You don't have to justify it to anyone, but you don't have to give them the ins and outs either. Hope it goes as well as it can.

ridefast

Visit site
I've been around for several horses pts by gun either huntsman, knacker man or vet. The vet was the most uncomfortable as she said they don't get a lot of experience with a gun whereas huntsman do it a lot. If you choose hunt your vet should know who your local hunt is. All the horses that I've known have had their head in a bucket of feed, owner/handler is told to walk away and yes the gun shot is loud but IMO no worse than guns on pheasant shoots... I'm used to gunshot in the countryside so it doesn't bother me. Agree with others though whichever method you use some sort of oral sedative may be best, if it is safe to do so. If he is happy with a bucket of feed though then do that.

Smurf's Gran

Visit site
I feel I have now had to make the decision to have my boy PTS and I suppose I would like some opinions that I am doing the right thing. I have not come to this decision lightly but feel its now time. I will try not to ramble on too much.

I have had my boy eighteen months. He is 13 year old TBX. He is the first horse I have owned but have loaned and shared many horses before. I think I was naïve when I bought him and he was the first horse I had tried. I was told he had been mistreated in the past and has a bitter outlook on life. When I went to try him he kept trying to bite me - should have known then! I was told he will only really bond with one person and he was fine with owners so took this as truth.

He does not like people. He cannot tolerate being touched by anyone (unless tacked up when he is good as gold) and he tolerates me. He will try to kick/bite vet/farrier. Farrier has been patient and can now shoe him providing I hold first foot and pass it to farrier. He can be aggressive in the field with people and can be dominant. He is a dominant horse. When he goes to kick you, he means it, it is not a threat. He kicked me with both back feet on my side/hip (luckily just bruised) then he kicked yard owner in the field (hadn't been there long and soon got asked to move). He had never really settled on these yards but the last six months have been on a lovely quiet yard where he seemed settled - he used to weave and hasn't weaved once here so I was hopeful. I have had vet out who has said he isn't right behind and presumes arthritis in hocks. He has been on danilon and supplements with improvement but vet cannot get near him, will not x-ray at yard and for an x-ray he will have to go to vets and be heavily sedated as vet will not go near him otherwise. I know this will be traumatic as I will be worried he will hurt someone, he will be stressed and not cope well and he could never be put on box rest following any treatment as he would not cope. As he is 13, we only hack out I was going to go down the line of supplements and if needed a danilon a day. Vet agreed with this.

However, I have been ill in hospital for three weeks (back out of hospital and okay now) so YO and her husband have looked after him for me. When I am not there he stays out. YO told me today that when her husband went to get him in on my first day in hospital he has double barrelled husband in arm (black and blue thankfully not broken) and in his ribs (cracked 3 ribs). Thankfully YO is wonderful and supportive and has told no-one else to handle him (we all help each other out) and she alone will deal with him if I am not there. He shares a field though and its not possible for other ppl not to interact with him. Due to this I feel he is a danger to myself and others. I never feel I can trust him and I always have a slight sense of dread in the back of my mind and I just don't feel I can continue to let him be a threat to others. I could never forgive myself if he hurt anyone. I could never sell him on as couldn't bear for him to be passed about and don't know where he would end up.

I feel PTS is my only option as I can never see any resolution to this. He is very set in his ways behaviour wise and now with arthritis I cant bring myself to put him through anything else. Am I doing the right thing? Would you do this or would you do something different? I couldn't live with myself if he hurt anyone else. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Oh dear, this sounds really tough, and he sounds very difficult to manage, but it does sound as though he is bonding with you and trusting you. No one can blame you for whatever you have to do, but I think if it was me I would just ask for only me to deal with him for the time being and enlist in the help of a sympathetic expert , maybe one of the "think like a pony" trainers who will help to try and see things from his point of view.
I know this sounds as like a bit of a presumption, but is it that he doesn't like men -I had a Terrier who was a rescue who was terrified of men and snarled and snapped whenever a man came near.

southerncomfort

Visit site
In your position I'd do the same and I'm a real softie when it comes to these things. However, if he's injuring people around him, then I truly don't see what else you can do.

I am sorry. x

YasandCrystal

Visit site
I bought a 17 hh WB who turned massively aggressive the moment I took possession of him. He had passed a 5 stage vetting. You could not risk handling him without full control of his head else he would bite you with full force. His behaviour became progressively worse over a 6 month period and he started striking at me and rearing and trying to kick at every opportunity. I persevered with him against my family's wishes and had him scoped for ulcers and mild ulcers were found. My vet kindly referred him to Newmarket and Sue Dyson's lameness clinic. He was diagnosed with chronic sacro illiac dysfunction and had likely sustained this injury at 2 yrs old. He had been ridden aggressively no was severely abused in the previous 2 years and sold on when he double barrelled a groom breaking her arm in 3 places.
I had him treated physically by a holistic vet and turned him away solo for 18 months after an initial period of rehab. He needed to heal mentally. I am happy to say this was a happy story for me as Tim is now a changed and loving horse, but it has been an emotional 3 years and the early days were a real scary daily struggle. I have my own land so for me I had the luxury of options of safely turning him away with no fear of outsiders being injured. My vet wasn't even prepared to nerve block him as he was so aggressive and dangerous. Now you would never believe it.
So I don't think you are wrong, you know in your heart that your horse is in a bad place and he is a danger. He will be at peace over rainbow bridge. Keep safe OP x

Last edited:

Elsbells

Visit site
I'd do it OP, he sounds like he's in a lot of pain somewhere either in mind or body and most likely in both.

Do feel for you and especially as he's your first horse. One thing is for sure though, that your proving to be a good and responsible owner with big shoulders.
((((Hugs))))

fatpiggy

Visit site
Given the OP's description of how the horse doesn't like people, I would definitely get him sedated first, whatever method of euthanasia is chosen. I would ask the vet if it was possible to give him something really heavy duty, not the usual oral sedalin or equivalent. My horse was epileptic and when she began her treatment which was barbiturates, after the first day, with a dose morning and evening, she was so heavily sedated she could hardly put one foot in front of the other and was totally away with the fairies for a good week until her body started to get used to it. Discuss the use of Epiphen with your vet. 30 tablets of the larger size will probably do the trick. I have nothing against the gun but personally favour the injection. However in this case, the gun may well be the better option. I agree with other posters though, unless the vet is a regular shooter, get someone who does it on a daily basis.

So sad.

Luci07

Visit site
Check with your vet. You may not actually have a choice so bear that in mind. You need to think ahead in terms of collection and disposal as well if you hadn't as you need to link them all up.

My experience has been that a relatively fit stressed horse will fight sedation so bear that in mind. When my old horse was sedated to be operated on from surgical colic, he was properly hunting fit and fought the sedation the entire time. I decided he would be shot when his time came. However move forward 17 years and when his time came, he was old and tired and injection was the best end for him. Good luck, this is a horrible process all animal owners face at some time and the worst part about sharing our lives with our pets.

JLH85

Visit site
I just wanted to let you all know I had my horse put to sleep yesterday. It took me a while to pluck up the courage to actually do it but I know it was for the best. I was given a sedative gel by the vet to give him before the vet arrived and he was pretty chilled/dopey until the vet went near him with the clippers (I decided injection as wanted to be there with him at the end). He squealed straight away and struck out at the vet so she went to get a twitch and tried to twitch him to no avail. I said he wouldn't let her put it on him which he wouldn't and so I held him why she tried again but he's so quick with his fronts he struck out and caught me on both knees and thigh (ouch!) after this we just stood there and he would let the vet stand next to him and stroke him so we decided we were going to have to go with the gun. Vet rang and got other vet to bring gun. I requested they both be there so one could hold him and one use the gun. I gave him another tube of gel and he was so dopey, head to the ground when I said goodbye and left. I went next door to a liveries house for a cup of tea and cry before I went home. I have been so upset cried all day yesterday but managed to hold it together at work today, only had tears in my eyes twice whilst sat staring at my screen! I went for a walk with my best work friend at lunch and told her and she was great - very supportive and that made me feel better. I'm already missing not going to the yard and I am going to get something sane and fun on loan to remind me what its all about.

I just wanted to let you all know and say thank you for all your lovely comments. Without these I wouldn't have been able to do this with the confidence and knowledge I was doing the right thing. At least my boy went out fighting and I have the bruises to prove it - I wouldn't of had it any other way!!! RIP Bailey Boo <3

Arizahn

Visit site
Deepest sympathies, OP, a terribly hard thing to have to do, but absolutely the right choice. Take care of yourself now - arnica and witch hazel will help with any bruising.

Mrs G

Visit site
Bless you, it sounds like a very traumatic experience but I think it confirms you made the right choice. Thanks for sharing and I'm sending you lots of hugs x