Horse pts :(

mperson01

Visit site
So sorry to hear that. I lost my 5 year old 18 months ago, very suddenly to grass sickness. My best suggestion would be to have another one, it helps, my lad passing left a huge horse shaped hole in my life. About a month later, i bought a fab mare, and while i still think of, and miss my lad, there's consolation. I know you've said there are financial concerns, but you could look at sharing. With the winter coming up, there are going to be loads of people who would love to have reliable, experienced adult help in return for some riding. You may even find that this leads you to new experiences and new challenges in your horsey life. My gelding was a fab hack, and i may hace stayed happy hacking, but my girl is not great on raods, so have focussed on dressage, something totally new for me.
I know its hard, but don't lose all hope, it does get easier, and you can move on eventually.

Gingerwitch

Visit site
My heart aches for you - its just over 2 weeks since i lost my big lad, and even tonight i was balling my eyes out, as he went out so quickly.

I am really really sorry for your loss - but please do not ever try and replace him - you cant - get something totally different - its not fair on either you, or your new horse to try and compare him/her to the one you have lost.

God bless
x

PrillyD

Visit site
I'm really sorry for your loss. He wont be made at you- he knew how much you loved him. I'm dreading this with my old girl and think youre incredibly brave. Xxx

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
This is so hard. Time really does help, but it takes ages. You're in the shock phase, so look after yourself, don't worry about being in a blur, it's normal. {{{Big hugs.}}}

indie999

Visit site
Dont think its sunk in that hes gone yet :( cant face cleaning his stable or taking his things home.
Im so grateful that he was at the vets when it happened, atleast he wasnt alone and was in the best place. He has been through such alot over the past year that im glad it was quick.
The main reason im not getting another one is money, i have struggled to pay livery etc so thats my horsey days also over :(

Oh am so sorry to hear this, same thing happened to my relatives pony, colic etc. At least they tried, as you say in best place. Trouble is having any animal reality is we know anything can happen. I lost mine monday PTS and I cleared up the electric fencing yesterday. I could smell him on everything,stale grass, his fly mask etc. Even picked up the last poo was sad! Drove past field today and I always looked through the hedge for him and its empty. Its like the end of an era they are such a huge part of our lives. Day two I kept bursting into tears and day 3 was a bit better, although the free apple at a lunch I went to take it for him realising I didnt have him anymore. I just get the odd sadness. But I am really sorry and after reading the many posts on here so regularly about PTS its is our worse dread. Everyone keeps asking me if I am getting another and at the moment I cant face the search, so perhaps in the future you may feel differently but I am in the same boat. Just dont know if I can go through this again. I held mine as felt it was my duty but it was a planned PTS. So sorry very raw for you at moment and a shock. But a well loved horse. Ours were lucky for that at least. RIP the horses.

rubysmum

Visit site
So so sorry for your loss, please take great care of yourself, it will get easier.
I lost my big mare in February and was devastated, it was the loss of routine that hurt.
Like you I thought my horsey days were over, but life offers unexpected paths and now I have a lovely loan mare, she's not big Ruby, but is a lovely person in her own right.

BlackVelvet

Visit site
I want to say a massive thank you to everyone who has commented on here.

I still feel completely lost and as its a beautiful sunny saturday i am thinking about him. As we would normally be heading out on a jog round the fields. Im so grateful i got a chance to own such a lovely boy with such a brave and forgiving nature. I got him from the meatman in such a state when i was 16, it seems like 2 minutes ago. Not a day went by when i didnt love him, he was a superstar with the most beautiful eyes.

Have people scattered their horses ashes? He hopefully comes home on monday. I dont think i want to keep them as id like him to go back to his field and stables where he would feel at 'home'

I hope hes proud of me and in a better place where theres no lami, colic or sweetitch. I miss this man so much.

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
Have people scattered their horses ashes?

I still have Seren's ashes, I am not ready to scatter them, maybe I will one day but I want them with me at the moment, just have not wanted to scatter them yet.

Big hugs to you. It would be a beautiful autumn morning like this that I would be taking my lovely old girl out for a solo hack, it is almost exactly a year since I would have last ridden her, for the very last time, I loved autumn rides with just me and my girl.

Regards getting another, I hated being without a horse, it is different for everyone. Although I could not bare to go to the yard initially I started helping looking after my friends mare, I missed having a horse to love so much and 3months later I got nell. It has been tough, she is such a different character and I found it hard that she was not Seren, as I think alot of owners do, but we are building a bond and it keeps me sane, and she is helping me with a new horsey chapter in my life x

Emilieu

Visit site
I didn't get his ashes - I was lucky enough to be there when he went so I felt I had closure and had said goodbye.
When I lost my little guinea pigs I scattered them in a quiet corner near a stream because it felt peaceful and safe there. xxx

pedilia

Visit site
So sorry OP, it will get easier to live with, you will eventually be to think about him and smile. It's a horrible, empty feeling but it will get less raw.
Each and every one of us is different, give yourself sall the time you need to grieve. I understand how you feel, its so emotionally draining. I have lost 5 in 2 1/2 years.

indie999

Visit site
I can understand you wanting to see him as I was there when mine was put down due to my big sense of duty I felt to him. I was not upset at seeing him lying afterwards but everyone told me not to be there at all or see him taken away(the guy that took him away was lovely)I was there. The worse bit was blubbering booking/waiting for the vet more tears and doing the PTS(I held it together for his sake and I was very calm, although felt utter betrayl of his trust in me at doing it). I just had to be there.

Everyone is different and if you just want to pop to the vet to give him one last stroke do it. I dont think there is anything wrong with that at all. My boy looked very peaceful and all his troubles are now over. Just be prepared he will be cold etc. I would do it sooner than later, just go if you want to I would.They will understand its your horse. Dont let anyone stop you if you need to.

I thought I was feeling less tearful today and then about an hour ago a certificate from the cremation turned up with is name on it telling me he had been cremated in communal cremation the date etc. I then balled my eyes out(it reminds me of one of my kids swimming certificates and I sort of found it really wierd/amusing as well)! I realise such services for the relatives exists. Obviously everyone is different.

I posted on here a few days ago, am use to people dying and was quite suprised how old boys PTS affected me. Felt total devastation even though he had a brilliant life with me. The terrible suffering that some animals experience at the hands of humans ours were indeed the fortunate ones.

BlackVelvet

Visit site
Two weeks ago feels like a lifetime ago....
I have his ashes back and cleared the stables and it still doesnt feel real....
I still dont feel it has sunk in that hes gone, is this normal??

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
It does get easier but I lost my first pony 10 years ago now and she is buried in our field and I still get emotional sometimes as I walk past her grave, I then remember all the fun I had with her. She was such a character and that makes me smile. Try to remember the good times and it will get better for you. I know you have said you don't want another one but it really does help to have to look after another one. I was very fortunate that I had another two when my little mare died so had get on with looking after them. I have lost another 3 since her, one to colic and that was heartbreaking as he was such a healthy boy until that bout.

pansymouse

Visit site
I lost my old boy to colic four years ago and was beside myself with grief. I still visit my friend's house where he was kept and sometimes like to stand in his old stable and remember him. It's no longer raw but I will never foget him . Actually typing this has made me cry. RIP Punch.

indie999

Visit site
Two weeks ago feels like a lifetime ago....
I have his ashes back and cleared the stables and it still doesnt feel real....
I still dont feel it has sunk in that hes gone, is this normal??

Yes it is normal,as am with you here. I gathered up everything in field, finding horse hair, tail hair etc and a big lump of mane hair behind a chest that I remember unknotting last year. I dont have another horse and am wondering if its the end of an era. I just dont think I will find another like him(big personality reliable etc). Every morning I keep thinking I need to go and see him. I think most people thought me looking after him diligently every morning or twice day snow/hail etc was a nuisance and a bind but it wasnt. I really enjoyed looking after him. I would get up 5.30am to go and see him before work if need be in the pitch black. I miss the horse smell,soft muzzle and being barged! I agree it seems unreal. My relative started immediately trying to find me another and I had to tell them to stop I have no interest at all at the moment.But everyone is different. I just keep telling myself that ours are lucky to have had such a good life and not been dumped in an auction to a nightmare fate, trucked abroad for meat in some squalid horse truck.

Mine is 2 weeks+ on and I am starting to feel a bit better so it will get easier, I have been suprised at how it affected me and really felt down as if other things around me just didnt matter anymore. I keep thinking of going to a horse auction and rescuing a little pony just to keep! Then when I get a horse at least I have companion at the ready. You see I am now talking myself round. Personally I may look next year I just cant face the rounds , I know I was lucky to have old boy. You will feel better honestly you will.

SKY

Visit site
im so sorry for your loss, it is heart breaking i lost a mare few years back and broke my heart. i do think you need to take time to grieve. but dont give up, i ended up rehoming a neglected foal, that was unwanted and left at a sales yard. i bought her and took her home and we both needed each other, i brought her health right back and we are best buds since and my other mares all took on to her and one even adopted her there like mother and daughter. so there always is another one not to replace but to love and another every horse you own has there own story and a new chaper, but takes time to grieve 1st and dont rush when you find one you will know. i am so sorry for you, big hugs.