Horse Pulling Prince Beatrice & Husband Carriage "spooks" at Ascot

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
It probably just kicked out but I’ve not seen video of that bit. They can do it very easily sometimes and prob more with leaders on a team that are looking fancy rather than pulling so there’s slack in the trace.
I watched it a couple of times as was trying to see if their very traditional harness had quick releases added these days

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
It’s easy for them to get a leg over the trace it’s just the timing and bad luck they kick at a fly when the trace is not in draught and the leg goes over .

That's interesting! I don't know the first thing about driving, but the trace lines always looked quite high to step over when I have seen people driving, but kicking out at a fly or them being slack makes sense.

ester

Visit site
Generally they are usually good at standing and waiting for someone to sort them out when it happens but atmosphere and the other leader being upset probably didn’t help.

little_critter

Visit site
I watched and couldn't help thinking of the groom who (bravely? / foolishly?) grabbed both horses heads, stood between them.
If he'd lost control and they'd gone forwards he'd have been mince meat!
Were the passengers quickly exiting the carriage or were they hoping it would all calm down?

Ossy2

Visit site
Well handled by all, but did find the man injecting the needle interesting, assume a sedative and a necessity I suppose at such a high profile event.

nikicb

www.facebook.com
This video shows what happened far more clearly. Well done to the rider for keeping so calm, or at least outwardly appearing to!!

ETA I think at around 40s, before the camera panned right, the horse flicks its RH back, presumably at a fly, although it did look a little tense anyway. That must have been when its leg went over the trace.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

little_critter

Visit site
This video shows what happened far more clearly. Well done to the rider for keeping so calm, or at least outwardly appearing to!!

ETA I think at around 40s, before the camera panned right, the horse flicks its RH back, presumably at a fly, although it did look a little tense anyway. That must have been when its leg went over the trace.

That's a well oiled, knowledgeable team. Grab a bit, get to your place and undo / untangle / make good. No flapping.
Good job!

ester

Visit site
I watched and couldn't help thinking of the groom who (bravely? / foolishly?) grabbed both horses heads, stood between them.
If he'd lost control and they'd gone forwards he'd have been mince meat!
Were the passengers quickly exiting the carriage or were they hoping it would all calm down?

just doing his job, it’s also where the horses are used to having someone stand with them and well don’t let go as the situation could get a lot worse very quickly if you do.

Pokitren

Visit site

The rider looks really calm. And where should he go from his horse?
I wonder why this happens in responsible situations? Does it have something to do with the horse's age, its experience? Or did someone bite it?

fetlock

Visit site
The rider looks really calm. And where should he go from his horse?
I wonder why this happens in responsible situations? Does it have something to do with the horse's age, its experience? Or did someone bite it?

Think the rider was a she, not a he.

PurBee

Visit site
Probably a horse fly! You see the rider swish with crop at something just before camera pans to the carriage infront, before the mayhem ensues. Well done to all managing that calmly!

luckyoldme

Visit site
The rider was very good!
Totally agree, she sat it out so well and managed to look very elegant throughout!
Other than that if I'm being totally honest I couldn't give a shit about a load of over privileged toffs being a little bit scared on one of their Jollys.
I know it makes me a miserable old bat but there you go!