Horse pulling to grass when leading

Fun Times

Visit site
Whips, chains, fancy head collars, lead in a bridle - WTF!

Just teach your horses to lead for gods sake.

And if he's not paying attention, give them a bloody great whack with the end of the rope. They'll learn faster than some of their owners, that's for sure.

What were we saying the other day about fluffy threads ....

Am not convinced carry a whip and whack it would constitute fluffy....

Leo Walker

Visit site
Mines very similar, or would be if I let him be. Hes a tank with a low centre of gravity, who has also gone through a phase of headbutting. I could beat him with 2x4 and he wouldnt care w ack with the end of the leadrope wouldnt even register. He cares about FOOD! People are usually horrified and amazed that you can wallop him and he doesnt even blink. He went through a VERY naughty phases of barging gates and taking out the electric and proper fence when he thought he was hungry.

The thing that worked for him was a Dually. He understands and respects it, and we have gradually phased it out. He hasnt worn it in a while now, but if he ever forgets then it goes back on :)

Enfys

Visit site
whips, chains, fancy head collars, lead in a bridle - wtf!

And if he's not paying attention, give them a bloody great whack with the end of the rope. They'll learn faster than some of their owners, that's for sure.

What were we saying the other day about fluffy threads ....

:D :D :D pmsl

Last edited:

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I think you just need to keep going and be as consistent as possible. Any inkling of going off to nibble, nip it in the bud. As one poster said "keep her head close". So you need to ask her to turn once in the gate, turn to face it. If she goes down even to nibble at nothing, just give a firm tug and say "no!". Always get her head to be near your head. Go through the gate, turn her around with you, then with both of you facing the gate, do it up. Turn and walk on. Then, maybe have a carrot AFTER you take off the headcollar to keep the focus on you. Just like you would with a dog.

Works for all ours. Helps with gates when riding too. Mine is only four and we have just started doing gates. Because of how I've asked her to be at gates in-hand, she has been brilliant at gates out on a hack.

We use rope halters (£5 from local farm store) as a matter of routine. With rude horses I carry a schooling whip, if they barge forwards, hold it in front of the nose, or if necessary tap the chest. If they stop and refuse to move, either tap the the side or swish it behind the horse. There is no need to be aggressive with the horse but you do need t be assertive. I find that if you expect a horse to behave in a mannerly fashion it usually does and then you should reward it for doing so.

ETA, tap means vibrate in this case, not smack

Lunchbox legend

Visit site
Sharp kick on the snout id bet she would think about doing it again.

"let the nose meet your toe" was the way I was told it.
:eek3: Kick an animal in the face?! Great way to build trust. Sorry, but that's a no from me! And if I saw anyone doing it, there would be words.

[...]A quick tap on the nose or chest with a stick is all thats needed (IF it's needed) and use your voice and reward the good behaviour. Horses are not monsters! They like an easy life and do as they please as long as they can get away with it but please, the majority do not need stallion restraints like chains and ropes.

Just teach them some manners... no means no. Teach them to turn, stand, back up. Walk on and focus on you. It's easy to do. They are as intelligent as dogs. They are of course bigger, but just apply some common sense.

You can teach any animal to respond to "NO". Horses are capable of that too. Don't be scared. IMO all these ropes and chains just say "fear". Just man up and take charge of the situation.
^ This. As Tallyho says IF it's needed and reward the good behaviour.

[...] use a dog choke chain, [...]
I don't even use these things on dogs. There are much better methods of teaching a dog to walk properly on the lead. They just take a bit longer than chains.

Whips, chains, fancy head collars, lead in a bridle - WTF!

And if he's not paying attention, give them a bloody great whack with the end of the rope.[...]
^ This. Not too sure about the bloody great whack but then a 'bloody great whack' with the end of a rope from close quarters from me would be more noise and movement than infliction of pain.

[...]With rude horses I carry a schooling whip, if they barge forwards, hold it in front of the nose, or if necessary tap the chest. If they stop and refuse to move, either tap the the side or swish it behind the horse. There is no need to be aggressive with the horse but you do need t be assertive. I find that if you expect a horse to behave in a mannerly fashion it usually does and then you should reward it for doing so.

ETA, tap means vibrate in this case, not smack
^ This - particularly 'There is no need to be aggressive with the horse but you do need to be assertive.' and 'tap means vibrate in this case, not smack'.

Some time ago, a couple of people accused me of being too soft on my dog and of spoiling him (he was a baby/puppy/youngster at the times they criticised me). I now have a lovely, well behaved dog that I can take anywhere, can leave at home knowing he'll be fine with it and he won't misbehave, and can leave with other people knowing he'll be happy with that too. He's even been invited onto a yard that doesn't normally allow dogs! What better compliment on his behaviour than that? And I got all of this from him without smacking, using check chains, kicking him, etc.

I feel really sad and desperately sorry for animals that get harsh treatment from humans. I do believe, if you have the power in a relationship you should use it kindly. Assertively, consistantly and with the best interests of you both in mind - but always kindly.

Enfys

Visit site
Quote Originally Posted by Enfys

:eek3: Kick an animal in the face?! Great way to build trust. Sorry, but that's a no from me! And if I saw anyone doing it, there would be words.

Where did I suggest that anyone actually do it?

gingernut81

Visit site
I would put the lead rope through the head collar cheek piece/nose ring thing on the off side then over the nose and back through the other ring - creating a makeshift "dually" head collar. Then when she gets her head down and attempts to eat, pull her head to the side with "pressure and release" and not a constant pressure as she'll then pull against you. It's easier to move the head to the side then up! You don't need to move her whole body - just tge head. My connie was a right ****** for doing this but bow walks nicely beside me.

madlady

Visit site
"Let the nose meet your toe" is also something I was taught as a child - all it means is shoving your foot under the nose - where did anyone suggest kicking an animal in the face?

Dry Rot

Visit site
I would put the lead rope through the head collar cheek piece/nose ring thing on the off side then over the nose and back through the other ring - creating a makeshift "dually" head collar. Then when she gets her head down and attempts to eat, pull her head to the side with "pressure and release" and not a constant pressure as she'll then pull against you. It's easier to move the head to the side then up! You don't need to move her whole body - just tge head. My connie was a right ****** for doing this but bow walks nicely beside me.

Sort of my thoughts though I thought 'pressure-and-release' WAS about a steady pull? If the discomfort inflicted by the steady pull is greater than the pleasure of eating the grass, then the horse will yield to pressure, especially if it has already been trained properly to yield to pressure. Or am I missing something? Life is full of choices, even for horses. Does the inconvenience involved bring enough benefit to make tolerating the inconvenience worth while?

Anyway, I shall continue to do what works for me and teach mine from a young age that humans are stronger and pulling is uncomfortable so there is no point in even starting to pull. That philosophy seems to hold good right through training and when backed and ridden away, they also seem softer in the mouth.

jhoward

Demon exorcist...
Visit site

^ This. As Tallyho says IF it's needed and reward the good behaviour.

I don't even use these things on dogs. There are much better methods of teaching a dog to walk properly on the lead. They just take a bit longer than chains.

^ This. Not too sure about the bloody great whack but then a 'bloody great whack' with the end of a rope from close quarters from me would be more noise and movement than infliction of pain.

^ This - particularly 'There is no need to be aggressive with the horse but you do need to be assertive.' and 'tap means vibrate in this case, not smack'.

Some time ago, a couple of people accused me of being too soft on my dog and of spoiling him (he was a baby/puppy/youngster at the times they criticised me). I now have a lovely, well behaved dog that I can take anywhere, can leave at home knowing he'll be fine with it and he won't misbehave, and can leave with other people knowing he'll be happy with that too. He's even been invited onto a yard that doesn't normally allow dogs! What better compliment on his behaviour than that? And I got all of this from him without smacking, using check chains, kicking him, etc.

I feel really sad and desperately sorry for animals that get harsh treatment from humans. I do believe, if you have the power in a relationship you should use it kindly. Assertively, consistantly and with the best interests of you both in mind - but always kindly.

melodramtic much there? NOBODY suggested kicking a horse in the face (tbh its people that cause these issues with horses they could probaly do with a kick in the face... not meant at you OP.)

Merrymoles

Visit site
"Let the nose meet your toe" is also something I was taught as a child - all it means is shoving your foot under the nose - where did anyone suggest kicking an animal in the face?

And, as I've already admitted, that's what works for me! As my horse was headshy when he arrived, there is no way I would do anything to exacerbate that but he gets the message and, as a matter of fact, is no longer headshy so obviously not too traumatised!

Fun Times

Visit site
Sorry but I am going to keep carrying a whip when I lead mine. I have severe problems with my spine and don't want to risk more surgery getting pulled about trying to teach him new methods of having manners when this works perfectly well. In actual fact, I never have to use the whip, just need to carry it with me. He has not once tried to reach for the phone to call the RSPCA or write to his ombudsman, so I think he is o.k with the rule and doesnt consider himself too badly abused.

Lunchbox legend

Visit site
Quote Originally Posted by Enfys

Where did I suggest that anyone actually do it?

It was the words 'sharp kick on the snout I bet she won't think about doing it again' (not your words, I know) that suggested kicking an animal in the face. Unfortunately, it wasn't clarified that 'let the nose meet the toe' just means shoving a foot under the nose (presumably a calm movement between nose and grass?) - an entirely different thing to actually making a sharp kick. It's just unfortunate that it was in response to the 'sharp kick on the snout' comment. The written word can so easily misrepresent what the person means and so easily be misunderstood. In this instance, Enfys, I'm sorry, I've obviously misunderstood what you meant - hope you accept my apologies :) .

jhoward

Demon exorcist...
Visit site
YOU suggested a kick in the face, jhoward. Or is the snout not the face? Because my snout is right on my face the same as a horse's snout is right on its face.

I WAS NOT SUGGESTING pulling a foot back and booting any animal in the face, it only takes a swift movement .. still let all misinterpret. ive never had a horse yank me to grass... well there was one cob who pulled me over a motorbike, and up a three foot bank to get to some grass (letting go would of been so much eaiser.).. but that sod never done that again..

Regandal

Visit site
No one is suggesting that you kick a horse. I used to handle my friends bolshy horse who had the most annoying habit of nose butting you. I made sure his nose met my elbow every time. I didn't strike him, just kept my elbow between me and his nose. He stopped.

gingernut81

Visit site
Sort of my thoughts though I thought 'pressure-and-release' WAS about a steady pull? If the discomfort inflicted by the steady pull is greater than the pleasure of eating the grass, then the horse will yield to pressure, especially if it has already been trained properly to yield to pressure. Or am I missing something? Life is full of choices, even for horses. Does the inconvenience involved bring enough benefit to make tolerating the inconvenience worth while?

Anyway, I shall continue to do what works for me and teach mine from a young age that humans are stronger and pulling is uncomfortable so there is no point in even starting to pull. That philosophy seems to hold good right through training and when backed and ridden away, they also seem softer in the mouth.

If you have a constant pull it gives them something to pull against. A half tonne horse pulling you, you're not going to win that one. If you give and take like little pulls it's much more effective - in my view.

LilacWillow

Visit site
I agree with this!

Definitely more opportunistic than "I'm your boss"... this is more typical of low ranking behaviour... getting away from you at the earliest possible opportunity but not wanting to offend you by completely tanking off.

The actual boss would mow you down, trample you three feet in the mud then sit on you.

Just "don't LET her do that" - Pearlsasinger.

The above works for me, everytime, with everybody.

Hi,

It's interesting that you should say it's associated with low ranking behaviour because my new mare who I've had for 2 months is doing this. When I'm leading her, she will either just pull against me and walk faster and there's no stopping her, or she will turn away from me and walk/trot off the other way. She doesn't go far though, but she can be hard to get back! At first I led her in a bridle which seemed to stop the behaviour for a while, but then she just started pulling through that and getting away! So she's now in an eskadron which was more effective, but when I got to her field she just pulled through that as well. :( it's weird because she does listen to me, I can stop her and turn her about, she'll just have a sudden moment where she switches off. She is difficult to catch as well, but will come up to me if I go in the field without a headcollar. At first I thought she was being bossy as she was being very bossy with my gelding around food, always biting, kicking and chasing him off! She does turn her bum to me sometimes if I go near her hay or food but she's not as bad now I went in with a whip and made her wait a few times... Really don't know what's wrong with this horse (or me) other than that she's a 4 year old that probably hasn't been handled very much... Doesn't seem like there's a quick fix, either 😐

9tails

Visit site
I reckon you could sort her as long as you're consistent, LilacWillow. With your eskadron, keep the rope loose and give her a quick tug as soon as she steps out of line. Don't try to haul, do quick tugs until she is where you want her, I also use the end of the rope to swing and move front or back end where I want them. Repeat as necessary, again as with the original horse, never giving her an inch. In the field, any bum turning will result in the leadrope swinging at the offending rear end. If it hits her, she should have moved.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Hi,

It's interesting that you should say it's associated with low ranking behaviour because my new mare who I've had for 2 months is doing this. When I'm leading her, she will either just pull against me and walk faster and there's no stopping her, or she will turn away from me and walk/trot off the other way. She doesn't go far though, but she can be hard to get back! At first I led her in a bridle which seemed to stop the behaviour for a while, but then she just started pulling through that and getting away! So she's now in an eskadron which was more effective, but when I got to her field she just pulled through that as well. :( it's weird because she does listen to me, I can stop her and turn her about, she'll just have a sudden moment where she switches off. She is difficult to catch as well, but will come up to me if I go in the field without a headcollar. At first I thought she was being bossy as she was being very bossy with my gelding around food, always biting, kicking and chasing him off! She does turn her bum to me sometimes if I go near her hay or food but she's not as bad now I went in with a whip and made her wait a few times... Really don't know what's wrong with this horse (or me) other than that she's a 4 year old that probably hasn't been handled very much... Doesn't seem like there's a quick fix, either ��

Nip it in the bud. If she does anything you don't like, just assert yourself. Use your big mum voice and say "no!" And Immediately tug the rope, tap on the nose or chest as back up.

Take her for a walk and practice, walking, stopping, trotting and backing up and turning on command and stopping. Praise anything good. Use a scratch on the forehead, shoulder, whatever you think she likes. She does anything wrong, say the no, and she continues, use the whip.

In the school, do some groundwork in the headcollar and all of the above.

Your girl sounds very capable of being a good girl but right now she doesn't actually think that much of you... Sorry. Don't be affectionate, put her in her place. Be kind but firm and you will soon build a bond.