Horse purchase vetting and x ray

Equine92

New User
Visit site
My horse was vetted and fully x rayed by a vet recommended by the seller. As it was far away my vet couldn’t do it so I took the recommendation.
At this stage, I didn’t know anything about horses x rays, so I didn’t understand what was good and what wasn’t.
The vet passed the horse with no comments and I purchased her.

Long story short, horse went lame. Only slight but I had it checked out. My vet came and after a few visits and a period of box rest we decided to x Ray her front feet.

Her left navicular bone is healthy and the other one not so healthy. He has referred her for an MRI so we know what we are working with. Out of curiosity he asked me for the x rays when I bought her, to which he was shocked as the navicular bone was the same then and nothing was mentioned to me before the purchase.

Had I known this, like most people I wouldn’t have bought said horse. Bare in mind she was being bought to progress through the dressage levels with aim of PSG.

I have spoken with a solicitor but I would like opinions if this happened to you and do you think the first vet should have told me her navicular bone wasn’t healthy.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I would be wary of the expense of the MRI as the damage has shown on the pre purchase exam and therefore the insurance will refuse the claim for treatment, or indeed for loss of use..

I would say you may have a claim against the first vet, depending on the severity of the damage. I would seek the advice of your vet regarding this.

Did you send the X rays and vet cert to your insurance company? If so, I would perhaps ask their opinion as sure as eggs is eggs they will review them if you claim.

ihatework

Visit site
X-rays can be quite subjective and it’s not always clear what is clinically significant. IME British vets are a bit more cautious than continental Europe and Ireland. American vets are neurotic to the extreme.

Any horses I have been involved in buying, if it’s not our vets doing it, we get the xrays sent over and reviewed independently before purchase.