Horse reactive when rugging

Pandapal

Visit site
So my 16.1 TB is usually very laid back and pleasant to be around. But he was clipped two weeks ago (hunter) and since then he’s been pinning his ears, moving away, and threatening to kick with his back leg when I change his rugs.

He’s okay with them being taken off, and I can throw them over him okay. But when I try and adjust (essentially move it on his back) he completely changes. He’s fine with the surcingles being done up. It’s just the moment of the rug on his back.

Any ideas? Could this be ulcers? He’s absolutely fine with the surcingles. He’s also off when being ridden. Very lethargic and not keen to keep up trot or canter for extended periods.

meleeka

Visit site
Up until the last paragraph I was going to suggest putting it on folded, so you don’t have to move it once it meets his back. If he's not right being ridden I’d suspect sacroiliac pain. I’d expect him to mind the circingles or girth more than the rug if it was ulcers. I’m no expert though, but that would be my thoughts.

vhf

Visit site
So my 16.1 TB is usually very laid back and pleasant to be around. But he was clipped two weeks ago (hunter) and since then he’s been pinning his ears, moving away, and threatening to kick with his back leg when I change his rugs.

He’s okay with them being taken off, and I can throw them over him okay. But when I try and adjust (essentially move it on his back) he completely changes. He’s fine with the surcingles being done up. It’s just the moment of the rug on his back.

Any ideas? Could this be ulcers? He’s absolutely fine with the surcingles. He’s also off when being ridden. Very lethargic and not keen to keep up trot or canter for extended periods.
I had one who I worked out/guessed couldn't stand the feel of things 'pulling' (?) over her clipped coat. Certain rugs, numnahs, fleece girth sleeves... She actually would not move a muscle when I put the girth sleeve on. Three weeks later, back to normal.

Squeak

Visit site
Has he been clipped before and been ok? If so then I'd be thinking ulcers due to his behaviour when ridden. If not then it could be the feel of the rugs and saddle cloths/ girth against his skin.

Do you put rugs on far forward and then do them up and slide them back into place in the direction of the hair? If you're pulling them forward against the hair (same with the saddle cloth) that could be your issue.

Otherwise I'd try some different materials of rug and saddlecloth and girth.

Pandapal

Visit site
Thanks for all the suggestions. I do think it could be the sensation of the rug pulling, or maybe some static. He’s generally fine when he isn’t clipped. I’ve had him clipped once before and he did have a personality change for a while afterwards but it didn’t last as long as this. I think it was just a week or so.