Horse rearing over breast bar in Ifor Williams 510.

scruffyponies

Visit site
It's routine to travel feral ponies loose without a breast bar, and generally they turn around so that they brace with their bum - however, I'd make very sure the jockey door is secure, and be aware that it will adversely (and possibly illegally) affect the weight distribution of the trailer.

rabatsa

Confuddled
Visit site
Most cattle travel loose. Cattle trailers are built square fronted and not with front ramps so they are stronger. They usually are not built down to a weight for smaller cars. The majority have rear loading gates inside the ramp. Whilst cattle can and do jump. they do not rear for the fun of it and generally only jump when they can see a way out. That said we had one that nearly got out of a 10 foot high silage pit, both front legs over but not its nose!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Cattle trailers are much sturdier than a 510. They are built to deal with abuse and do not need breech/breast bars to contribute to their integrity. Alos, the ramp fastenings on a 510 are not designed to take the full weight of a horse leaning on them.

The breast and breech bars do pay a vital part in maintaining the structural integrity in a 510, it would be reckless to travel a horse without them. Just because folk have done it, and got away with it, doesn't mean that it was a wise thing to do.

If I need something to travel loose, as with a baby, I hire a box.

jbless

Visit site
I too have been dealing with a horse that in it's time has jammed itself under the breech bar, and jumped the breast bar. I don't think there is one simple answer. I expect there might be quick fixes (e.g shut all the doors and let them get on with it), but none I would be happy risking with my horse. I suspect patience, persistence and trying different things if something doesn't work are the answer.

The best tip I have read on this forum is to keep the bars as close together as possible, minimizing the space they have. This gives them less space in which to sit back and get their front legs up. I thought it might make my horse more claustrophobic, but in fact he seems to prefer it, probably as he feels more secure.

bearTessy

Visit site
Just to update this for anyone else who may experience it....

We stuck to our guns, persistent loading, leaving the back bar down, waiting for her to lick her lips, lower the head and relax, then letting her back out so she doesn't feel trapped.

We can now do the back bar up, shut the back ramp, I can walk to the jockey door, check her, shut the jockey door, go to the back ramp , let id down slowly and let her out.

I plan to repeat this stage for at least 2 more weeks, then we will do a small journey round the block.

She is tied under the breast bar as a just in case.... but fingers crossed patient and learning she doesn't die on the trailer seems to have worked.