Horse reducing circle on lunge

DD265

Visit site
I ought to know this, but lunging isn't really my thing. I'm only using it at the moment to reinforce voice commands prior to long reining but if I'm doing it, may as well do it properly.

My boy is both falling in, and choosing to come closer to me of his own accord. I appreciate the falling in is a balance and strength issue and it doesn't worry me too much. But what options are available to me in terms of discouraging him from joining me in the middle?

PorkChop

Visit site
Point the lunge whip at his shoulder to keep him out, then send him on - also use your body language - however this doesn't always work with friendly souls :)

Other than that I would just crack on with long lining, as long as you have a helper he can learn voice commands on the job :)

AengusOg

Visit site
It helps greatly if you teach the horse to yield his head/neck/fore, initially using physical pressure and then assertive body posture. A horse which has been taught this is less likely to fall in or attempt evasion by turning in. You can send him on on a circle and, if he fails to stay out, raise your body up, face his fore, and assertively dissuade him from evading.