Horse refuses to hack alone?

Tori3610

Visit site
I have had my 6 year old ex racehorse for 6 months and she refuses to hack out alone. As a result, we used to hack out with a friend at the yard and even then she would plant the hooves and spin round. Our first outing together was a forest trek with said friend. There was loads of other people their with their horses. She came off the box sweating and very worked up. When I got on her we couldn’t even get up the first path without her reading and wanting to go back to the box, even with plenty of people as leads, we ended up just going home.

Usually if I let her have her tantrum on the road she would settle and walk on, but now our friend has left the yard (about 3 months ago now) and we have no one to hack with so I tried to get her down the road on her own. We get a little bit down the road before she spins and rears, refusing to turn round. I’ve brought a schooling whip with me and it just makes her rear up higher.

I know she’s an ex racehorse, therefore is used to always being with other horses, but other horses seem to stress her out. We’ve hired a few places and schooled her round, and she was an absolute gem as no other horses were around, but I recently took her to her first training show and she stressed out with all the other horses around her and when it was our turn to jump she spun round and reared in front of every single fence (60cm). With perseverance I managed to get her over all the jumps and I know she will get better at the shows as time goes on, but it’s the hacking that is a real issue. If I get off and lead her, she’s 100%, you could lead her round the world, but the minute I get back on, it’s a frenzy.

Any advice is greatly appreciated :)

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I would choose a short circular route (if you have one) and start off leading her in-hand the whole way. Think of it as confidence building groundwork. Once you have done the route three or four times, I would then mount in a safe place when you are nearly home and ride the last bit. Once you've done tat a few times get on a bit sooner and repeat and repeat until you can ride the whole way.

Orangehorse

Visit site
Racehorses are used to going out in a string. Where did you get her from? Can you contact a Racehorse Rescue centre for advice.
Be careful though, rearing horses can unbalance and fall.

It sounds as though she hasn't yet adapted to being a single horse.

Peter7917

Visit site
If it is safe to do so then I would long rein her, at least then if she goes up she isn't going to come over and break your neck...

Leandy

Visit site
If this is full on rearing (rather than threatening to rear and hopping but not going fully up) I would not try to tackle this alone from on top. I'm not a whimp and (in my younger days) would have taken on most things but proper rearing is plain dangerous. Please find a strategy - long reining, leading and then hopping on without confrontation which doesn't provoke rearing. Where did you get this horse from? If she was straight out of racing, hopefully you can improve things over time. If not, her history would be interesting.

mandyroberts

Visit site
It doesn’t seem to make a difference, she still spins.

I know nothing about ex-race horses. If the foot soldier was actually leading her (with you on top) it may help. When I had the problem I put a training halter under my bridle so my walker led of that and it didn't effect my contact. Admittedly my horse has never tried to rear but he can do a good solid plant and reverse! If you say he is good with you leading this may help. Good luck, its so frustrating. I can't get back on (my knees are just too creaky) so the various hopping off/on suggestions couldn't work for me - but its what I would do if I could!

Tori3610

Visit site
If this is full on rearing (rather than threatening to rear and hopping but not going fully up) I would not try to tackle this alone from on top. I'm not a whimp and (in my younger days) would have taken on most things but proper rearing is plain dangerous. Please find a strategy - long reining, leading and then hopping on without confrontation which doesn't provoke rearing. Where did you get this horse from? If she was straight out of racing, hopefully you can improve things over time. If not, her history would be interesting.
I got her from one of the Traynor brothers based here in Ireland, she was fresh off the track when I bought her. Long reining doesn’t work either, she does the same thing.

Leandy

Visit site
Sorry, I didn't mean you needed to tell us who she came from! Just wondered whether someone had already tried and failed with her. As it isn't that, it sounds as though she needs to get more used to being a non-racehorse and isn't ready yet to do all the "normal horse" stuff you want to do. If she is as stressy as you say, I'd be tempted to turn her away for several months to let her unwind completely, then bring her back slowly and treat her as a just backed youngster and reschool from the start.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I got her from one of the Traynor brothers based here in Ireland, she was fresh off the track when I bought her. Long reining doesn’t work either, she does the same thing.

So she’s not been re-trained in any way then.

I think you need to take real baby steps with her. One horse only as company hacking straight from the yard for several weeks, before embarking on boxing up to go on forest rides etc (and then only with one other horse).

Bellaboo18

Visit site
I haven't gone through the other replies so I might be repeating but...6 months is nothing for an exracer! Especially if she had a full on career as a racehorse.
She doesn't know what's expected of her because alls she used to have to do is run in circles.
So has she had some time turned out to unwind?
From experience everything needs to be baby steps. For hacking, take her on the same route in hand several times, then that route with someone on foot or another horse (whichever she would finds less stressful), then do the same but slowly overtake the horse/person so she does the last bit alone etc.
She needs treating as a baby because she will know nothing.

Bellaboo18

Visit site
I've just seen your post from February when you were having the same problem. She only finished racing in December, she needs time turned out to unwind. If you're not careful you're setting some very bad habits that will be hard to shift.
I'd turn her out for a few months and then get a professional to help out.

canteron

Visit site
I think hacking alone needs a very confident horse (and rider) baby steps all the way to build her confidence will get you were you want to go quicker.
Is she food motivated - if you do lead her out in hand you could always have a destination point where you let her graze for 5 mins - this helps them makes sense of why you are doing it!!

Equi

Visit site
Shes clearly very anxious. I would take a step back from riding or hacking her alone and do some serious bonding and ground work. Work up to walking her out in hand for a bit then back etc..build up her confidence bit by bit. There are some horses you can tell to wise up and get on with it and there are some you can't risk that with, i feel she is one of those. You need to come at it from a different angle.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Admittedly we had a blip last week (which I posted about) but mine has only been In ridden work for about 3 months and it’s been a bit sporadic.
I did walk him in hand a bit, more for me to see how he’d leave and how he’d handle horses calling etc. What I found really helpful though and still flit back to it a lot is leading him off another horse. Mine is a bit nappy and panics a bit on new routes (even in company!) but I find if I ride and lead him a new route it really helps his confidence.
Mine hasn’t reared though so practice if you have a lead horse somewhere safe incase!