Horse refusing- SJ- ideas?

Rachaelpink

Visit site
Just wondering if anyone has any tips for stopping a horse refusing.

At the beginning of last year I started doing some unaffiliated showjumping with my mare. After a couple of months she started doing well in 75cm then 85cm classes (she's only 14.3hh). Then after a few months of success, in the late summer she began refusing and chucking me off a lot. I had a really rubbish saddle so not a good seat in it.

I really thought it was the saddle as it was really old, got a new one, but in the end found out she had a mouth ulcer and sharp teeth as vets hadnt done her teeth properly last time they were done. She was then on/off refusing after this was sorted. Stopped jumping her in Oct 09 then in Dec she had an accident so I only started jumping her this April.

In April took her out she had one refusal and one knock down on first outing. On second double clear. Then on our next outing she chucked me off. I had a lesson 2 wks ago and she didnt stop once in an hr. Then past two outings got eliminated. Not sure what to do next? Her teeth have just been done and going to get her back checked but I dont think it is that. Tried her with plastic spurs last 2 outings. Trying to have more lessons but cant get hold of my trainer at the moment. Only just started lessons with him. She has been stuck in for three weeks and she hates being in whilst they have muck spread the fields. Once she gets into the habit of refusing its hard to get her out of it. It's just really frustrating. Any ideas appreciated.

Divasmum

Visit site
The obvious things other than the teeth is to make sure all the tack fits properly and also that her back is checked out. Also being a mare does this happen more when she is in season?

Rachaelpink

Visit site
Sort of. She was in season when she started refusing. But isn't now. Just bought some Oestress to try as she is quite a typical moody mare.

nemo_

Visit site
Ditto Divasmum. Whenever mine's jumping gets a bit 'wobbly' or begins to have a negative attitude towards it, I give him a few weeks off jumping, then go xc schooling, to get him out jumping again and thinking forward over jumps. But sounds like she's had quite a while off, so this might not work.
Sorry, that probably wasn't that much help :eek:
But good luck with solving it! :)

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
We had a saddle made for Little Lad. He was refusing jumps no matter which saddle we tried him in, including his posh expensive one, still we got refusals (usually right on the last stride, suddenly he'd just look worried and duck out). D1 took a few flyers!

Anyhoo, got his saddle checked by another saddler and his back checked, turns out the points of the tree were too long for him and were digging into him on landing :(. Not surprised he didn't want to go over, he knew it would hurt on landing :(

Rachaelpink

Visit site
Thanks for replies. I took her x country schooling a few weeks ago. Going to get woman to check the fit of my saddle and get a back person out just to eliminate back problems.
Any more thoughts?

Hanz

Visit site
Obviously ditto others, getting tack etc checked first, then starting small.

Has her refusing knocked your confidence a bit aswell? Really make sure you are 'attacking' each and every fence, and dont forget to ride the last stride. If she does refuse the bigger jumps, start smaller again and take everything very slowly.

Is it only SJ which she refuses, whats she like over hedges and other natural (or natural looking!) fences?

Rachaelpink

Visit site
It has knocked my confidence but I am really trying to ride her into the fence and keep my leg on and I'm only trying to do the smaller classes at the moment. In my lesson 2 weeks ago she didnt stop once. Once she starts refusing the height is fairly irrelevant though, she will do it whether its 60cm or 80cm. Also whether it's a working hunter type fence or SJ fence doesnt seem to matter, she just seems to get locked into refusing.

lisan

pets.webshots.com
As soon you've had her back and saddle checked I think we should have a trip to Somerford and just play round the farm ride, lots to practice there and see how she is!

L&M

Visit site
Or maybe she just doesn't like sj?! One of mine is very hit and miss in the SJ ring but never stops at natural fences and we have a lot of fun doing ht/fun rides/hunting, so stick to those style events.
I am a great believer in finding out what your horse is good at and then follow that direction - rather than trying to make your horse something it is not......
Good luck!