Horse refusing to listen.

Bobbybarnes

New User
Visit site
Ok so I need some help.

I bought Bobby a year and half ago, he was good when I went to see him, been out work 2 years been ridden twice in the arena since friend started bringing him back I to work for his owner, friend found out owner was selling him, friend got me to come see this horse, I bought horse there and then 😂😂.

I have him 9 months off after only having him a month because my first pony died and I lost the passion to ride and felt I was doing something wrong by riding another horse without her around. I got the passion to ride back 7 months ago and have just been hacking down the road.

Hes fine when we move off at home. Get on, he walks of calmly, gets to drive still going fine. At end of drive yep still cool just merrily walking along, get to the gate and onto the road? Hello horse that jogs and spins trys to turn home constantly and when we do turn around to go home trys to canter the whole way, get to end of drive on way back and he starts jumping g all over place and having a tantrum and then trys backing up over a fence into a sheep field. It's a pain in the ***

HE recently got a new saddle and spins a bit less it's now just tantrum spinning not "my saddle moved I don't like that" (it was a treeless before and he was bitless till the other day when the pain tryed bolting the second he saw an open field to the side of this track, he now has a Gp saddle and a standard noseband eggbutt French link snaffle)

HE'S regularly seen the vet (my retired ottb needs the vet alot...) And has no issues.

I'm running out of ideas on what I can do, when I get a job that csn afford livery I'm gunna move him to a livery yard for a few months so we can work on schooling each day, even if that means I have to deal with parents saying in ungrateful for not keeping 1 of the 3 horses here.... I need an arena I know.

Anything I can do in mean time to get him to chill out hacking? He's like a firework 😂

Pc2003

Visit site
I have a ish and I couldn't feed any of the above!!!! Esp the Alfa a oil. Turns him into a total loon!!! Is hay an option instead?

AdorableAlice

Visit site
HE'S on alpha A oil (a scoop) and a scoop of spiller conditioning mix. He has hayledge at moment (it's not great quality it's nearly hay) cause there's no grass in field.

NO sadly, he's the only ridden horse.

Conditioning mix is rocket fuel to many and I would think it is a major contributor to sharpness. I would be tempted to use a totally forage based diet if you can.

khalino

Visit site
A herbal calmer might work, or even teaching him cues like a one-reined stop?
What do you carry on you whilst you're riding as well, may I ask?
Is he getting his tongue over the bit, opening his mouth, evading contact or hollowing out?

Sorry if I'm asking all these questions, I'd like to try and help :)

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Conditioning mix is rocket fuel to many and I would think it is a major contributor to sharpness. I would be tempted to use a totally forage based diet if you can.

I would take him off everything except your haylage (and replace that with hay if you can). He really isn't doing enough work to need any kind of hard feed. Lots of horses find alfalfa in any form very exciting, one of ours can't even bear a mouthful without going bonkers.

Bobbybarnes

New User
Visit site
I have a ish and I couldn't feed any of the above!!!! Esp the Alfa a oil. Turns him into a total loon!!! Is hay an option instead?

Yeah he can have hay instead, little shetland has that.

A herbal calmer might work, or even teaching him cues like a one-reined stop?
What do you carry on you whilst you're riding as well, may I ask?
Is he getting his tongue over the bit, opening his mouth, evading contact or hollowing out?

Sorry if I'm asking all these questions, I'd like to try and help :)

Other than my phone, nothing. He is very sensitive to crops. Pick one up on ground around him and he dances around running in circles. Lunge with one and he goes to straight to canter. He isn't a fan.

And he keeps his head up high bit doesn't get his tongue over the bit.

Thanks guys btw

VRIN

Visit site
have you asked your friend who recommended him to come over and see what she can suggest as she knows the horse?

ALso do you have someone who can accompany you on a bike?

Bobbybarnes

New User
Visit site
have you asked your friend who recommended him to come over and see what she can suggest as she knows the horse?

ALso do you have someone who can accompany you on a bike?

I can persuade my dad to come out on his bike with me, and she lived 3 hours away but she wants to come see him again soon so I csn easily get her up to mine.

old hand

Visit site
Are you sure he was actually broken before? He may have just been backed and pottered about in a school and is now terrified of the big wide world. Quite a reasonable reaction for a herd animal. I would try him in a school and if he seems to understand what is wanted from him would try hacking out with a very quiet sensible horse, avoid traffic until he is more confident. He is not just dangerous to you as he is now but to other road users. Remember he is not refusing to listen he is trying to tell you he is worried.

twiggy2

Visit site
With any horse that is 'fizzy' I always start by stopping all foodstuff that could be a factor so I would start with changing his diet as has already been mentioned-just give hay nothing else for a couple of weeks, we had one at work that was such a pig on haylage that I eventually refused to ride him (they would not change his diet), when they found out ho0w ad he was to hack they stopped the haylage and we had the lovely to hack horse back, food wise different things affect different horses.
Does he get turned out and how often is he ridden?

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Hes fine when we move off at home. Get on, he walks of calmly, gets to drive still going fine. At end of drive yep still cool just merrily walking along, get to the gate and onto the road? Hello horse that jogs and spins trys to turn home constantly and when we do turn around to go home trys to canter the whole way, get to end of drive on way back and he starts jumping g all over place and having a tantrum and then trys backing up over a fence into a sheep field. It's a pain in the ***

So you turn on the spot and go back the way you came? This is a big 'no, no' with many nappy horses.

Do you have any circular or lollipop shaped routes?
Can a horsey person or relative go with you on foot or on a bike?
Could you get an instructor to help?

I personally feel that feed has sod all to do with it, it's a napping issue and it needs training, training and more training. No more tootling down the road a teeny way and then letting him turn and rush home. You need to train him that forwards (and listening to you the whole time) is the only option. Yes schooling is essential (but you could do that in the field, you don't really need an arena) but it's a hacking issue and he needs proper training for hacking too. Circular routes are really helpful. Never give up and turn back, even if you get off and drag him the whole blimmin' route to start with (and yes I've done exactly that and the horse no longer naps).

Last edited:

khalino

Visit site
Yeah he can have hay instead, little shetland has that.

Other than my phone, nothing. He is very sensitive to crops. Pick one up on ground around him and he dances around running in circles. Lunge with one and he goes to straight to canter. He isn't a fan.

And he keeps his head up high bit doesn't get his tongue over the bit.

Thanks guys btw

Hihi, it's me again xD

Okay, I'd stick him straight onto hay. He seems a little like my boy, anything to do with sugar and suddenly: YIPPEE KA YAY!!! Oh and hates crops. Okay so no crops.

Right, I really don't like suggesting a change of bit at all, but what's currently in his mouth and are you using a martingale of any sort? Throwing their head up minimalises contact, it feels even worse, as you already know.

As for feeds, I would suggest either Mollichaff calmer or some other herbal calmer. He may just not know how to handle the extra buzz he's getting. I know mine will ****** off in extended trot round the school or any pattern I ask when he's got a little too much or just bolt off on hacks if I mess up when he's got that edge to him. The calmer is working miles.

Hmm, that's all I could say for now.
Good luck, friendo.

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
Is there any reason why you can't do a circular hack rather than turning around at the bottom of the road to come home? I think your issue is this causing napping compounded by far too much hard feed and rich haylage.

Bobbybarnes

New User
Visit site
Is there any reason why you can't do a circular hack rather than turning around at the bottom of the road to come home? I think your issue is this causing napping compounded by far too much hard feed and rich haylage.

Have no circular routes unless I go through the farmers fields which he doesn't let me do. Only circular route has had its gates padlocked shut