Horse rubbing face on legs whist ridden

Ponygirl777

Visit site
My horse has started to rub his face on his legs whilst being ridden - this has just started and he's very insistent about doing it and quite frantic. He'll stop dead to do it and will paw the ground with a front leg if I try to ride him through it.

His teeth were checked and floated earlier this month and he's ridden in snaffle bridle with a cavesson, and an Eldonian hanging cheek bit with a revolver centre, which he's liked up until now. I can't see anything amiss on his face or in his mouth, and he only does this when ridden. I'm waiting on a PS of Sweden anatomical bridle (Paladin) so hoping that might alleviate any discomfort from the bridle.

Anyone else experienced this? He's a Highland so there's always a chance he's just being a stubborn ass, but I'm not so sure.

Horses!!!! Who'd have them?!

Mule

Visit site
Yes, my one who has allergies does this. He is allergic to some sort of pollen, we don't know what. Steroids treat it successfully. In his case he gets sinusitis as the allergies worsen. He rubs his muzzle a lot. I think he does it because he is itchy. He snorts/ sneezes a lot too.

Shooting Star

Visit site
Lots of potential causes but could be an allergy due to the extremely dry hot weather.

Our local vets have seen a huge increase in allergies this summer and I know one poor lady whos horse has been found to have dogs as the trigger to their allergy despite never having had any issues in previous years.

Ponygirl777

Visit site
Lots of potential causes but could be an allergy due to the extremely dry hot weather.

Our local vets have seen a huge increase in allergies this summer and I know one poor lady whos horse has been found to have dogs as the trigger to their allergy despite never having had any issues in previous years.

I'm wondering if it is some sort of allergic reaction. That would make a lot of sense as he's never done it before now.

Dave's Mam

Visit site
Mine does too. He stopped dead in trot, both ridden & on lunge. It's very dusty now & pollen still high.

I tried a nose net, it's the work of the devil.

Itchy noses all round.

Mule

Visit site
I use a nose net too. I don't know if it does much good but I keep it on him anyway. He does look funny wearing it. Because he has a light grey face and his mask is black, he looks like a bandit. :D

Last edited:

Mule

Visit site
Sleepy bandit!
mjbmeh.jpg

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I think a lot of horses do it in this hot weather when they get sweaty around their ears or if there are flies about.

Denbob

Visit site
Mine does the same, and if you try to ride him through it he has a meltdown for approximately thirty seconds and then carries on as normal. My favourite was a canter to dead halt with nothing in front, almost did a full flip but the shock of me pitching forward made him jerk his head back up and effectively hold me in place. T'was not pretty.

I'm attributing it in part to him being quite a fidgety impatient horse to start with so everything uncomfortable has to be resolved IMMEDIATELY or the World will END. Definitely agree with comments about allergies - my vet basically lives on the yard at the moment anyway so keep meaning to ask his advice before D gets back into work.

ETA - Since the canter incident i have removed his noseband and it does seem to have made a bit of a difference (typical as I got a lovely new micklem for my birthday and aside from the itchy incident he did really seem to get on with it)

Last edited:

Dave's Mam

Visit site
I'm attributing it in part to him being quite a fidgety impatient horse to start with so everything uncomfortable has to be resolved IMMEDIATELY or the World will END. Definitely agree with comments about allergies - my vet basically lives on the yard at the moment anyway so keep meaning to ask his advice before D gets back into work.

This sounds familiar!

Ponygirl777

Visit site
Mine does the same, and if you try to ride him through it he has a meltdown for approximately thirty seconds and then carries on as normal. My favourite was a canter to dead halt with nothing in front, almost did a full flip but the shock of me pitching forward made him jerk his head back up and effectively hold me in place. T'was not pretty.

ETA - Since the canter incident i have removed his noseband and it does seem to have made a bit of a difference (typical as I got a lovely new micklem for my birthday and aside from the itchy incident he did really seem to get on with it)

That's interesting. I'm awaiting delivery of a PS of Sweden anatomical bridle (hopefully today!) so it will be interesting to see if it makes a difference.

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
Good idea about removing the noseband. Ernie's is decorative anyway (his face looks long without it, and it was to discourage him putting his tongue over the bit)

He will walk through the face itching if I ask but I have to let him do it soon after, he doesn't do it often.

Mule

Visit site
When mine was misdiagnosed with Trigeminal Neuralgia I allowed him to itch on me as i felt sorry for him, (painful condition that has muzzle rubbing as a symptom). Turns out it was chronic sinusitis and now, quite reasonably, he keeps trying to use me as a scratching post. He has a very big, bony head so it was not a good idea.

Hallo2012

Visit site
one of mine does this.........he is not frantic or insistent and shows no other symptoms of irritation,but will do it every 5 mins or so if allowed.

i started him on some local honey as his mate has it for headshaking and i cannot believe what a difference its made to both!!!!!

headshaker has all but stopped-honey plus a PS of Sweden bridle, and the nose rubber has totally stopped.

1 spoonful a day dissolved in hot water in feed :)

Hipo

Visit site
Exmoor used to do this. Would be frantically trying to rub her face on her leg when hacking, especially through grass. Now on Pollenx and has a le mieux nose net, worked a treat.

Dave's Mam

Visit site
one of mine does this.........he is not frantic or insistent and shows no other symptoms of irritation,but will do it every 5 mins or so if allowed.

i started him on some local honey as his mate has it for headshaking and i cannot believe what a difference its made to both!!!!!

headshaker has all but stopped-honey plus a PS of Sweden bridle, and the nose rubber has totally stopped.

Will have a look into this!

Ponygirl777

Visit site

Interesting!

I'll give that a go!

foxy1

Visit site
My horse used to do this but stopped when I changed his bit, so I think it was a sign of discomfort.