Horse running away from me

cfresh001

New User
Visit site
To start this off I want to say that my mare (12 yo quarter horse) is in a feild with a bunch of other horses. This started about a week after I first got her about a month ago. I think this started because a gelding started getting possessive over her. He wouldn't let me get near her. Now whenever I go to catch her or even walk up to her she runs away and the gelding is fine. Even if I get close to her (which I can't if I have a halter) he is fine now but the problem is there. I make sure to groom her and do fun things other than ride so she doesn't just associate me with riding (I have only ridden her a couple times since owning her) I can't try the technique of making her run/keep moving to respect me because of the other horses and the size of the feild. Any advice is appreciated. Please help

be positive

Visit site
If it is possible I would get her into a separate field/ part of the field and try to get a routine going where you bring her in every day to feed, ride etc, as an older horse she may actually be bored and missing the work, rather than associating you with riding and that being a negative it may be that she does enjoy her work and once she associates you with that, and a daily feed, she may be happier.
Some of mine generally only come in to be ridden and often appear disappointed if it is not their day especially the ones that have a really active varied life, so I would at least increase her work so she sees you as someone who does fun things, grooming is not that much fun to a horse.