Horse rushing when jumping

Ridergal

Visit site
I have 21 year old gelding (low mileage) he jumps brilliantly, and clearly loves it. However, because of age and mild arthritis (though he is completely sound at the moment). I limit his jumping to arena only and only occasionally. But I have noticed that over the last year he gets very strong and rushes his fences, we generally clear them, but at breakneck speed.

When we jumped more regularly, he had a great rythmn with no rushing and it was generally a civilised experience.

His back is fine, teeth OK etc. Flatwork very good and we generally score high 60's when competing in dressage.

He is normally ridden in a simple snaffle for everything. Perhaps, I just need to jump more frequently, but for shorter periods. I put a stronger bit in this weekend. Which made him back off. But at this period in his life don't really want to go down this route.

Advice please

stacey_lou

Visit site
With my mare I was told that its because she was scared so they bolt at it and hope for the best ,perhaps once a week do some trot pole work building a little cross in the middle and work it gradually from there that way he will find his own balance.

You may find like we do with age that hes lost his neve a little.

Good luck

Ridergal

Visit site
With my mare I was told that its because she was scared so they bolt at it and hope for the best ,perhaps once a week do some trot pole work building a little cross in the middle and work it gradually from there that way he will find his own balance.

You may find like we do with age that hes lost his neve a little.

Good luck

Sounds like a plan. He is funny, because even when I am working him around the school, if a pass or go near a jump his ears prick up. My trainer thinks it's down to not doing it frequently enough. His attitude changes as soon as he sees the fences, he is very jolly in his trot, but just gets really strong.