Horse seems sore after dental visit… HELP!

Na1998

Visit site
My horse had his teeth done 4 days ago, and since then, he seems uncomfortable in the mouth when riding. He is normally soft and works in a good outline but ever since his dental appt on Tuesday, he is badly snatching the reins out my hand, swishing his tail when I try and take a contact and ears are a bit twitchy.

I took the bit out of his mouth and he was much happier, is this likely to be related to his teeth?

Will give him a few days rest and try again but has anyone had this issue before after a dental appt and how was it solved?

Na1998

Visit site
My horse had his teeth done 4 days ago, and since then, he seems uncomfortable in the mouth when riding. He is normally soft and works in a good outline but ever since his dental appt on Tuesday, he is badly snatching the reins out my hand, swishing his tail when I try and take a contact and ears are a bit twitchy.

I took the bit out of his mouth and he was much happier, is this likely to be related to his teeth?

Will give him a few days rest and try again but has anyone had this issue before after a dental appt and how was it solved?
Just to add, he is eating fine.

Floofball

Visit site
Think I’d be ringing your EDT and asking the question, seems very likely due to the timing and the fact it only started after the appt. Think your right to give him a few days rest but I’d still be letting whoever did his teeth know.

paddy555

Visit site

yes and it was solved by time, I think it took 2 weeks. That person (who was a tutor for equine dentists) wasn't invited back.

the horse had only had a normal rasp not any special treatments. I would give it another week and if still a problem get someone to come out (vet would do) with a gag to get the mouth open and see if there are sharp edges etc etc.

Na1998

Visit site
yes and it was solved by time, I think it took 2 weeks. That person (who was a tutor for equine dentists) wasn't invited back.

the horse had only had a normal rasp not any special treatments. I would give it another week and if still a problem get someone to come out (vet would do) with a gag to get the mouth open and see if there are sharp edges etc etc.
Used the same dentist for years and never had an issue, I don’t believe he had any invasive work done either but he is sensitive in the mouth as is so will just rest him and hope it settles down x