Horse share expectations.

hellfire

Visit site
Im unsure if my expectations of a new person to share my horse are too high or are things just different now?
I’ve had a few trials but nothing working out so far.
I need set days ideally knowing a week in advance so I can schedule my work around.
I’ve been flexible with people and they can choose the days they want provided I know in advance.
I expect the poo in the field picked up (they live out 24/7). The bucket feed given and some hay put out.
Obviously a visual check of the field, fence etc while they are poo picking. They can ride as long as they want do what they want and I’m happy for the person to go to pleasure rides, events etc as I no longer do.
The issue I’ve had twice now is last min they’ve said they aren’t coming out as it’s raining!
The same jobs still need doing but clearly they don’t want to ride if it’s wet which I understand and don’t mind that’s up to them.
Am I being fussy or is this just not right? I then have to rush like crazy as hadn’t expected to be doing the feed and poo picking that day.
They choose set days and come out regardless of the weather or if they can ride surely?
I have a lady on trial at the moment and she’s just done this to me and I had the same issue before.
Last time I literally gave up riding for a month allowing her all the dry days free riding for a month so a very fair trial.
Until in the end they decided it was a little far to drive a few days a week 10miles. Which I was glad about to be honest.
One lady who I thought was lovely and honest hid all the horse poo in the hedges and slung it over onto the public footpath 🙈. Then when I asked her denied it! She was gone to say the least I won’t be lied to.
So what is going on??
I’ve told people what I’m looking for and what’s expected.
Yet keep being screwed over to the point I may well sell him now very sadly as he’s not getting the exercise he used to or wants.
Was such a sad day when the old sharer had to give up after years.
I was asking £25 a week which seemed to be the going rate around my area and only one quibble so brought it down to the £20 which is what they paid at another place.
The riding here is fantastic too just to clarify and even if strapped for time I have a grass school and lots of fields to ride on the farm.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
You could do a contract and state that they still need to do the jobs for the horse in the rain even if they don't want to ride.

Not saying it won't stop it completely but might help and I just think some people are such snowflake messers it's hard to find a good reliable person.

I have people that ride mine and they don't do any jobs as mine at home so I just do it all so makes no odds if they cancel.

hellfire

Visit site
You could do a contract and state that they still need to do the jobs for the horse in the rain even if they don't want to ride.

Not saying it won't stop it completely but might help and I just think some people are such snowflake messers it's hard to find a good reliable person.

I have people that ride mine and they don't do any jobs as mine at home so I just do it all so makes no odds if they cancel.
It is in my contract but they haven’t signed it as it’s a trial at the moment as was the last person.
Mine are at home but as I work from home too I schedule my work around them to make sure I have the time to do the normal chores 🙈.
They get hay 3x a day but only expecting anyone to do one of them hay runs and at the time time pick up the poo like I do every day. Then the bucket feed if they are here at that sort of time.
As you say people are snowflakes.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I think in these situations if you can find someone who has owned before but doesn’t now they tend to understand better the work/planning involved and the fact that stuff still needs doing regardless. I suspect the main issue is that you live there so they think they don’t need to come if not riding.

For me only having to go up once a day rather than twice for a share is a luxury/not expected.

Zoeypxo

Visit site
I recently advertised a share horse and it was hard work but i have now got someone after 2 failed tries , 3rd time lucky i guess!

Horse is on full livery so no chores required but people were still awkward about any obligations

hellfire

Visit site
I recently advertised a share horse and it was hard work but i have now got someone after 2 failed tries , 3rd time lucky i guess!

Horse is on full livery so no chores required but people were still awkward about any obligations
How on earth can people still be awkward when your horse is on full livery!
Honestly some people just break me.

hellfire

Visit site
I would bite your hand off for that sort of arrangement, so I don't think your expectations are too high at all.
Thank you. That’s what a few people have said to me who sadly have horses or a share. Even my farrier said so. Think I’ve just been unlucky then.
Just feel I need to give up as dealt with so many time wasters, liars, and muppets.
My O/H says I’m too laid back with people and too nice.
Good experienced rider does denote to me they can tack up 🤣. Apparently not anymore. Riding a handful of times at a riding school denotes experience these days apparently.
I’d not mind someone who wasn’t the best rider, still learning. We all started somewhere.
My horse is a saint and very forgiving.
But definitely need to know they are capable alone and safe. Treating my boy with kindness and respect.
Not having him uncomfortable with the girth on back to front and a saddle on his withers.
Not to mention the bridle 🙈. I had to laugh really.

Clodagh

Visit site
Off topic a bit but my stepson’s girlfriend, very experienced rider, worked at a yard (apparently) wanted to ride my hunter. I gave her the tack, said the bridle would need adjusting as I’d used it on another and gave her a bit of a head start. My poor horse, the bit was so high in the mouth she was like huge toothy grin… noseband just under her eyes.
So yes people exaggerate their abilities a lot.
Good luck though, your boy sounds lovely.

PurBee

Visit site
Sounds like what you’re offering is a dream share really. Its a shame you’re dealing with fair-weather riders.
When you think of the cost of lessons, and you’re only asking 20 quid a week to have a few days with a horse….im amazed folk dont realise what theyre getting!
The cost of keeping a horse is faaaar more than 20 a week.

keep trying, im sure the ideal share person will come along eventually. Maybe your OH is giving you a clue to be a bit more forthright with vocalising your expectations? Being too laid-back can sometimes evoke others to take the pee.
There was one client we worked for in a different industry completely, who i’ll never forget..started every sentence with “i expect you…” like a school ma’am 😂 She got everything she expected tho! 😁

Fingers crossed for you an appreciative sharer gets in touch soon 🤞

Sealine

Visit site
I think in these situations if you can find someone who has owned before but doesn’t now they tend to understand better the work/planning involved and the fact that stuff still needs doing regardless. I suspect the main issue is that you live there so they think they don’t need to come if not riding.

I suspect people who haven't experienced the responsibility of caring for a horse don't appreciate how much commitment is required until they try doing it themselves. If they're flaky now I dread to think what they'll be like in January! It sounds like you're offering a good deal. There are good sharers out there but filtering out the time wasters sounds like a painful process. Could you ask for references?

Kaylum

Visit site
omg it is hard work to find someone I agree. Why on earth would you not turn up to look after a horse on the day the horse is in your care. Raining or whatever weather. But that's the sort of people they are. Just want to ride. No care for the horse and that's the problem. Riding is one small aspect of horse care. What if the horse had a cut or was lame would they know what to do or even if the horse was lame?

Tarragon

Visit site
When I was being screened to see whether I could help exercise a horse while the owner was recovering from a broken leg, I was given a full double bridle and a martingale and then told to tack up said horse! for someone who normally only uses a simple bridle, with no noseband even, it was a daunting task, especially what the horse was HUGE. Luckily I got the job as he was a beautiful beast.

Dontforgetaboutme

Visit site
Is it a free trial? I had most issues when I didn’t charge as the person had nothing to lose. Do they pay per ride or is it part share, pay regardless of riding? I have given up relying on sharers to do chores, I get it life happens, but like you they excuses for not coming are wide & varied. For example told on the day that not coming as I was her sons bday. Yeah like didn’t know that in advance! Make it abundantly clear what their responsibility is & be willing to end the agreement if they repeatedly let you down.

hellfire

Visit site
I suspect people who haven't experienced the responsibility of caring for a horse don't appreciate how much commitment is required until they try doing it themselves. If they're flaky now I dread to think what they'll be like in January! It sounds like you're offering a good deal. There are good sharers out there but filtering out the time wasters sounds like a painful process. Could you ask for references?
I like the idea of references but what happens if it’s a first share?
I did call a riding school about one young rider of 15 to check her mum was being truthful.
After speaking with the owner who I happen to know a little it became clear mum was very pushy and the daughter was a complete novice who had only just mastered trott.
I try to check people out as best I can.

hellfire

Visit site
Is it a free trial? I had most issues when I didn’t charge as the person had nothing to lose. Do they pay per ride or is it part share, pay regardless of riding? I have given up relying on sharers to do chores, I get it life happens, but like you they excuses for not coming are wide & varied. For example told on the day that not coming as I was her sons bday. Yeah like didn’t know that in advance! Make it abundantly clear what their responsibility is & be willing to end the agreement if they repeatedly let you down.
Yes I felt it fair to offer a free trial to make sure both parties are happy. I do feel a few have got free riding with no intention of taking on the share.
These people are still looking locally months on funnily enough.
I really feel for you not being able to rely on sharers too.
After the earlier incident where I had someone not want to do any work I did offer ride only no work.
But they all say ‘no no I’m happy to do the work’.
It’s the cheaper deal. Then easy not to do it.

Birker2020

Visit site
Im unsure if my expectations of a new person to share my horse are too high or are things just different now?
I’ve had a few trials but nothing working out so far.
I need set days ideally knowing a week in advance so I can schedule my work around.
I’ve been flexible with people and they can choose the days they want provided I know in advance.
I expect the poo in the field picked up (they live out 24/7). The bucket feed given and some hay put out.
Obviously a visual check of the field, fence etc while they are poo picking. They can ride as long as they want do what they want and I’m happy for the person to go to pleasure rides, events etc as I no longer do.
The issue I’ve had twice now is last min they’ve said they aren’t coming out as it’s raining!
The same jobs still need doing but clearly they don’t want to ride if it’s wet which I understand and don’t mind that’s up to them.
Am I being fussy or is this just not right? I then have to rush like crazy as hadn’t expected to be doing the feed and poo picking that day.
They choose set days and come out regardless of the weather or if they can ride surely?
I have a lady on trial at the moment and she’s just done this to me and I had the same issue before.
Last time I literally gave up riding for a month allowing her all the dry days free riding for a month so a very fair trial.
Until in the end they decided it was a little far to drive a few days a week 10miles. Which I was glad about to be honest.
One lady who I thought was lovely and honest hid all the horse poo in the hedges and slung it over onto the public footpath 🙈. Then when I asked her denied it! She was gone to say the least I won’t be lied to.
So what is going on??
I’ve told people what I’m looking for and what’s expected.
Yet keep being screwed over to the point I may well sell him now very sadly as he’s not getting the exercise he used to or wants.
Was such a sad day when the old sharer had to give up after years.
I was asking £25 a week which seemed to be the going rate around my area and only one quibble so brought it down to the £20 which is what they paid at another place.
The riding here is fantastic too just to clarify and even if strapped for time I have a grass school and lots of fields to ride on the farm.
My God I'd bite your hand off! People want something for nothing. I can't begin to imagine why they treat others in such a shocking way.

If they won't cater to your horses needs because it's raining than either their hearts not in or they are plain stupid!

Let's hope they never get to actually own a horse of their own!

Birker2020

Visit site
Because alot of people dont want to do any yard work, but also dont want to pay anything either 🙈
Luckily new one seems to be reliable and pays
Gosh I was going to pay £35 a week for 2 days of riding which would have probably comprised of walking for 20 mins each time as the horse was coming back into work and unfit as was I! ! With stable chores on those days too!

TheHairyOne

Visit site
My sister shares a few of hers and has a monthly charge. There is always a trial period, but it isnt free. They get one day to come try the horse, and one day left a bit more to their own devices to see if they rememeber the basics ok free. After that its a months money with the stipulation that after the months trial it will be reviewed.

If she ends the trial early due to issues with riding etc she refunds. If they do then nothing back. If they dont turn up as they should then she gets the advert back out and starts again knowing the trial will end at the end of the month. The money in her pocket makes up a bit for the inconvience.

In our experience having people pay upfront makes for better more commited people!

Chappie

Visit site
Golly OP I would be SO grateful for a set-up like you are offering!
Where do you advertise? I wonder if advertising in tack shops and feed stores would attract more potential sharers who are already 'in the zone' with what if all involves? Maybe someone with a retired horse or on long term rest? Or by word of mouth at a local riding club?

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
You're def not being unreasonable and have been very unlucky!

The 2 I ride currently have 3 sharers and one is a bit flakey and probably has a different defintion of busy than the rest of us and has a tendency to run out of time for chores though she gets reminded. 😂.

I think I'd find a work reference a bt intrusive/strange request but I'd also be able to provide a lot of horsey ones if required 😂

Jambarissa

Visit site
This appears common in lots of shares, I had similar last minute 'I'm not going today but i'll give him extra love tomorrow' 😡

Anyway if I was to have another share I'd say the horse was full livery and charge accordingly then get someone lined up or do it myself since I have other horses to do. At least that way you know they are done.

It's also hard if you actually want your horse ridden. My friend got a sharer whilst on maternity and she comes and does the jobs and fusses the horse but hardly ever rides and it's the type of horse that needs work.