Horse shod, now hes lame!!!

Iceni Warrior

Visit site
Rode my horse Oscar yesterday and hes fine, today he was shod and then when I go to ride him 3 hrs later he is lame in his NSH, farrier came back out (immediately!!!) and took shoe off, couldnt find any sore spots with testers, no signs of bruising or absess anywhere, puts shoe back on. Oscar still lame! No signs of any heat or swelling anywhere on his leg .... so a complete mystery. Any ideas??

MagicMelon

Visit site
Uhhhh..... not really. I thought maybe pin prick but if he's tested around and he's not sensitive anywhere then I dont know! Id give him a day or two and see how he is, if not improvement (or worse) get the vet?

Peanot

Visit site
It isn`t uncommon for horses to be lame for a day or two after shoeing especially if the shoe was put on a little too tight or a hot nail. (in wrong place).
As farrier has been back and tested the foot, I would see what he is like tomorrow before calling the vet.

Louby

Visit site
A friends horse was shod days before a dressage qualifier and went immediately lame. He had been nail bound and was fine a couple of days after. Shoe was removed and re put on.
My old mare was an anglo arab and she was always pottery for a couple of days after shoeing.
I hope he's ok.

KatB

Visit site
True nail binds often dont show with testing for a couple of days, think of when you catch the quic of your nail, it hurts like hell for a day or two, but only in that exact point, then the surrounding area gets sensitive and feels bruised. So could be a bind. Either that, or as Weezy said....

Iceni Warrior

Visit site
Hes back to normal today, and I rode him tonight (Tuesday), he got progressively better each day so its a mystery really! I missed my big comp (1st Intro event) on Sunday but at least he is better now!

So could it flare up like an absess if its a nail bind?? Im getting the Chiro out to check him over just in case as well.