Horse shopping around Glasgow - excited!

WindyStacks

Visit site
hello

I've started shopping and am making a few arrangements to go and view - am very excited as I lost my last horse a couple of years ago and am ready to go again!

I'm new to the area so would appreciate any sneaky emails/tips of who I really MUST avoid - i.e., do you know any that are for sale right now who are downright dangers? ;) Don't mind a challenge, don't want to end up as roadkill! So I really would appreciate a head's up if you've got an inside info.

Brightbay

Visit site
It helps if you have a trusted local who will come along with you. I would say it also helps if you have a vet you trust to do the vetting - the right vet will help you weed out any completely wrong choices, although it does cost!

Have you any local horsey network? Riding Instructors can be very helpful (equally, they can be rather biased towards their own contacts...). Joining a local Riding Club can be an excellent way of getting into the grapevine - you don't have to have a horse to join, and at this time of year they love folk to come along and help out at dressage days/jumping days, when you can meet loads of people and get all the local gossip.

Just a few ideas, there - it does depend a lot on what kind of horse you're looking for!

WindyStacks

Visit site
hello, I am involved at a local riding school and trust the lead instructor implicitly so that helps of course. I'm only taking away something which passes a 5* vetting with flying colours, so any recommendations for vets?

I'm looking for something 16hh-17hh - no TB's, no feathery cobs (personal preference) in the age range of 5-9, the lower the age, the fewer miles I want to see on the clock! I can't stand 4 year olds who've been driven into the ground!

I'm coming from a 17.3hh Hanoverian I bought as a 4 year old and unfortunately I lost her at a much younger age than I ever intended to. So I'm looking for a horse which will see me through many more years.

Brightbay

Visit site
Hmm, like hen's teeth I think! I bought mine aged 4 (and 16.2), he's now 12 (and 17hh). He passed the 5 stage vetting no problems, although he was green and canter was clearly a mystery to him... We knew he came from Ireland but his sheer greenness and his lack of sourness about being ridden suggested he hadn't been hunted into the ground since 3. We're still not sure - he has had various issues over the years.
Friend with 16.3 ClydesdalexTB has done much better - I think she bought him aged 6 with very low mileage and he has been sound and solid.
Trying to work out "mileage" is difficult - buying from the producer is probably the way to go if possible, and some producers are better than others. I see so many rather sad pics of youngsters advertised, being ridden overbent and being shown jumping big-ish courses aged 4 - I would much rather see a picture of a willing looking youngster ridden with minimal gadgets in a nice natural outline without tension - but you don't seem to see many of them :(
Vet-wise, it helps to know the individual a bit. I have used the Equine Veterinary Clinic (Gavin did my horse's vetting 8 years ago now), and I know McKenzie Bryson Marshall in Kilmarnock are also excellent (I have seen John Morris and Jamie Wallace in action and was impressed). ClydeVets get a very good rating as well but I don't know any of them by name. Having a chat with them beforehand about exactly what you want to do with the horse can only help and I suspect they can offer advice, without naming names, about what and who to avoid.
I'm sure other locals can add to this and may be able to suggest reputable producers.

WindyStacks

Visit site
I wish I could "like" your post for all the useful information - I didn't want you to think it had gone unread!

I lost my mare I believe due to the fact she was started too young (in the ring at 3), I thought buying her at 4 and giving her an easy couple of years would save her legs - but she developed arthritis by 8.

Avellana

Visit site
There's a few dealers round the area. What I'd recommend is taking an experienced person with you who can do quick checks of tendons, conformation, movement and behaviour of any horses you see and then use your own vet or an independent one if you haven't got an equine one already rather than the one the dealer suggests. I use Clyde Valley Vets and can't rate them highly enough, they are excellent. I also hear good things about Avondale vets although it's a smaller practice. If a dealer told me I couldn't use Clyde (my own vets) I wouldn't buy a horse from them.

Jnhuk

Visit site
Clyde vets are great.

If you are looking at buying from dealers, two that I'd recommend are not local to you but worth contacting them : Drumcarrow near St Andrews (Angus and Steven Lohoar) or ask Measles on here what they have at Avonmill near Falkirk. They also have a fb page.

Several friends have got good eventing type horses at a dealers near Lesmahagow but I would make certain that you go with a VERY knowledge person there but that is standard advice for anywhere tbh.

Last edited: