Horse shopping help!

murphysmummy

Visit site
Hi all! So the horse I was considering in my last post fell through but I think I am keen for another horse to ride but I need your help with shopping because I am well out of the game. So I would love to find:
  • Gelding
  • 15.1-16hh (max)
  • 3-8
  • Breed I would love connie x id but something of a similar build. I don’t like really slim horses so prefer no tbs
  • Backed
  • Green I can cope with but needs to be a nice person and sensible so it can cope with busy family life
  • Capability to do be90 (if I get brave)
  • A super fun allrounder
  • Don’t mind something keen just not something that has a death wish for either of us!
  • Budget around £5000

Go bargain hunters go! 😂

In honesty please just share any adverts you are aware of that look good. I’m based Devon but happy to travel for right horse. I’d consider going over to Ireland to look but I don’t know where to start there!

ihatework

Visit site
Don’t go to Ireland on that budget, you won’t find what you want that is legit.

Also you won’t get anything establish/proven unless there is a not insignificant ‘but’

I’ll stick my neck out though and say you might find a just backed, very green 4yo that is a good egg. Especially given you are SW and presumably willing to venture into the depths of the SW.

If I were you I’d put wanted ads on Facebook for Devon/Cornwall sites, you might well find a breeder wanting a straightforward sale

dixie

Visit site
Have you tried Trereife Equestrian in Penzance? I got my boy from her and he is mostly what you want, similar price but is 13yrs.
I do think you’ll struggle with that criteria and budget though.

ihatework

Visit site
Might be worth a call, doubt he will sell at that price with that advert. Obviously a couple of things to be digging into:

Reactions: JBM

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
I like looking through the ads and I’m afraid all I can find in your budget are TBs, just found a 15.2 Connie who sounds like what you want but he is 13 and £7,900 and in Cambs, horsequest ref 335840 if you want to take a look

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
Your budget might have to increase..we were looking last summer…£8 to £12 k for what you have described…we eventually took a gamble on a just backed 3 year old who had been in the country for 2 weeks (from Ireland) and so far she has proved to be an absolute gem…(£6k)

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
Sorry can’t do links but took a screen shot of this one on horsemart that might be ok. Just put the ref in the search feature and it will come up he is 6 years old and 15.3

Attachments

• IMG_2407.png
    IMG_2407.png
    63.5 KB · Views: 43

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
I like looking through the ads and I’m afraid all I can find in your budget are TBs, just found a 15.2 Connie who sounds like what you want but he is 13 and £7,900 and in Cambs, horsequest ref 335840 if you want to take a look
I think this is possibly the Thurstons dealers so would proceed with caution.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
I wouldn’t know which dealers are dodgy apart from my local dodgy ones.. he looks like the type the OP is looking for and is the only one I could find that was anywhere near the budget. I found loads of TBs but OP doesn’t want a TB, but there are some chunky ones around. The horsemart one is a dealer as well I think

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Tried to find something which fitted some of your criteria, price, not a TB, gelding, age, a bit forward but not crazy, and found this one, but he's only 15hh not 15.1hh, and might be too far away as he's in Essex, and it says it's a business advert, and I have no idea if she's okay or someone to avoid

https://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/122466946/15hh-6-year-old-alrounder-cob-gelding.html
I would avoid that dealer not heard great things about them and some bad stuff on line.

gallopingby

Visit site
I think you need to stick with either just backed 4 year old or older ie 14 plus for that budget. You might find an unbroken 4 year old but would then have the cost of breaking/ bringing on if you’ve not help or experience to do this yourself. Remember it costs someone to breed and bring on any horse from conception to 5 years and 5k isn’t going to get you very far these days.

Pinkvboots

Visit site

Not really what you asked for but I reckon he will be quite nice once his filled out

lamlyn2012

Visit site
I bought something similar last year. You will need to double your budget if buying in UK.
You may get something cheaper direct from Ireland if you're willing to take a risk.

Wishfilly

Visit site
If you're willing to go far west or difficult to get to parts of Cornwall, you may do okay with that budget. I agree trying Trereife- I don't know them personally but a friend had a good experience, and their horses often look cheaper than you'd pay "up country", I assume because of location?

Unless he's sold, they have got a nice looking, established for his age 15hh 4yo (I think no registered breeding) in looking for 5.5k. He might be a bit slimmer than you're looking for, but just to give you an idea of prices etc.

They've got a facebook page, but it may be worth getting in touch with them?

Puzzled

Visit site
I import and sell connemaras and Irish horses…you will definitely need to double your budget to find something that is backed, genuine and correct. You may find something unbroken but you’ll still be looking around 7k for a good sort of Connie or ISH. I would increase my budget and go for unbroken and then do all the basics yourself and then send away to be ridden on for a few weeks. Another way, would be to go smaller in size as often an Irish 14.2 HH now will soon grow to 15 hands as they mature. Appreciate this may not be possible if you’re a certain height yourself though. I have Connies at 5k at 14.2hh but overheight puts the price up.

marmalade88

Visit site
I’ve recently bought a 6 year old 16.1 who’s safe and super all rounder, if a little inexperienced at certain things but even in the depths of winter at the moment you will need a bigger budget. As others have said possibly double it.

It really depends how much time you have to properly educate and bring a young horse on. I am time poor so I was willing to pay for the years of work someone else has done. Luckily everything so far points the horse having a proper professional education, which is quite refreshing! You can end up paying for an older horse and correcting others mistakes.

Flyermc

Visit site

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
I know of one on my yard who is tentatively for sale, owner has two and just wants a good home. (South East)
He is a 16.1/2 (at a guess) coloured 'cob' (if you clipped him out fully he is more ID type in build than a heavyweight cob if you know what I mean).
7/8yo, super kind, needs some manners as bolshy being led (rope around nose works) but easy to deal with, better off in a 1:1 home as slightly sensitive ridden but anything he does do is very un-dramatic.
Been schooled by a pro for the last few months as very novice owner didn't realise he had likely been backed badly and just didn't know what she wanted, and they didn't get on well - but he's now doing super, could do a nice prelim.
No idea how well he jumps. Never been sick or sorry, or seen the vet for anything as it happens.
I believe she wants less than £3k as home more important than price, but I would have to confirm for certain, def under your budget though.

murphysmummy

Visit site
I know of one on my yard who is tentatively for sale, owner has two and just wants a good home. (South East)
He is a 16.1/2 (at a guess) coloured 'cob' (if you clipped him out fully he is more ID type in build than a heavyweight cob if you know what I mean).
7/8yo, super kind, needs some manners as bolshy being led (rope around nose works) but easy to deal with, better off in a 1:1 home as slightly sensitive ridden but anything he does do is very un-dramatic.
Been schooled by a pro for the last few months as very novice owner didn't realise he had likely been backed badly and just didn't know what she wanted, and they didn't get on well - but he's now doing super, could do a nice prelim.
No idea how well he jumps. Never been sick or sorry, or seen the vet for anything as it happens.
I believe she wants less than £3k as home more important than price, but I would have to confirm for certain, def under your budget though.
This sounds lovely! Can you send me any more details via pm? 5* home for life.

Annagain

Visit site
Are you set on that age range? There's a very reputable person in my area selling one that fits everything you're after except he's 14.

He's on here just in case you're interested - Joey the black cob

Last edited: