Horse Shopping in Ireland

HayleyUK

Visit site
Hello!

I'm on the lookout for my next pony after losing my 5yo recently to OCD and have set my sights on a Connemara -struggling to find the right sort with the right experience over here that is actually wanting to be sold so seriously considering a pop over to see whats available in Ireland.

Any advice on shopping in Ireland for a pony gratefully received. I'm looking to do a 2 day trip and see a few over the two days so ideally don't want to be faffing with classifieds. Do I need an agent or can I do this solo and still see the same quality/get the same service from yards & dealers?

I've had a look at Finola Heslin, Kevin Reilly, Reid Finlay and DoneDeal and have a shortlist. Can anyone recommend any other yard that may have a couple of ponies in that they can show me or even an agent? Looking for a blood/hunter type rather than a solid showing sort!

I've a sensible budget, cash waiting etc.

Last edited:

HayleyUK

Visit site
Thank you Spacefaer - is he a dealer or agent?

thanks Colivet - Kevin seems really helpful and straightforward, so good to know he is as he seems!
I’ll look at Anthony and the FB page, thank you.

Jellymoon

Visit site
How exciting, I’m very jealous!
MJC Connemaras, Olivia Chamberlain, Finola Heslin.
Also the very addictive FB group Connemara Ponies For Sale.

HayleyUK

Visit site
Absolutely not considering the sales; I’m a sucker for a pretty face so would just be sucked in and buy the first lot! Plus; I want to be able to choose my vet for vetting.

HayleyUK

Visit site
Oh god, I’m not that exciting Bernster!

Flights are booked though! Flying into Dublin and staying in Galway so pretty much the breadth of ponyland to go at.

suggestions welcome!

Colivet

Visit site
Thanks Cobden.
ill have a look at them.

does anyone have any experience of buying via Finola as think she’s most likely to have what I want
No personal experience of dealing with her, but have a number of FB friends in common and they would all be people I respect. Can reach out to enquire if you like

HayleyUK

Visit site
Colivet - id really appreciate that. Thank you.From what I’ve heard she doesn’t sell rubbish and they often go on to do well, so has a decent rep. So fingers crossed!

Colivet

Visit site
Colivet - id really appreciate that. Thank you.From what I’ve heard she doesn’t sell rubbish and they often go on to do well, so has a decent rep. So fingers crossed!

A friend I trust says she is spot on. Dealt with her regarding shipping as well as purchase and found her good. Said she would be confident to deal with her again. Hope that helps. Let us know how you get on - when are you travelling?

HayleyUK

Visit site
Fantastic. She’s fairly fixed on price from what I’ve heard but has the one I like the best (typically)

Flying into Dublin on 18th Dec, have lined up a 15hh just backed rising 4yo, lightly backed rising 4 pony gelding, A green 5yo and then hopefully seeing an unbacked grey mare and a lightly backed 4yo with Kevin Reilly. Literally driving from Dublin to Galway with ponies on the way.

19th Dec I’m seeing Finola (think she’s got at least 3 I like the look of), then possibly a 15hh dun gelding, and have an unbacked pony mare plus two lightly backed more agricultural types if I have time before flying back!

Colivet

Visit site
Sounds like a good range of choice - you'll surely find something that suits :cool:

I'm dropping my sister at Dublin Airport the morning of 18th - I'll think of you when I'm there & wish you luck on your trip :D

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
isnt there a problem with connies and their feet, some sort of genetic thing.....i think they can be tested for it but cant remember what it is called. i knew someone who had to have her connie put down because he had it he was only 8.....sorry to be a bit of a wet blanket but worth checking it out before you go as all you are viewing are young and may not show outward signs...

Colivet

Visit site
isnt there a problem with connies and their feet, some sort of genetic thing.....i think they can be tested for it but cant remember what it is called. i knew someone who had to have her connie put down because he had it he was only 8.....sorry to be a bit of a wet blanket but worth checking it out before you go as all you are viewing are young and may not show outward signs...

Yes, it's called Hoof Wall Separation Disease (HWSD) and most reputable breeders test for it. You will generally find that most adverts from reputable dealers and/or breeders include "HWSD Tested Negative"

Ann Appleby

New User
Visit site
Hello!

I'm on the lookout for my next pony after losing my 5yo recently to OCD and have set my sights on a Connemara -struggling to find the right sort with the right experience over here that is actually wanting to be sold so seriously considering a pop over to see whats available in Ireland.

Any advice on shopping in Ireland for a pony gratefully received. I'm looking to do a 2 day trip and see a few over the two days so ideally don't want to be faffing with classifieds. Do I need an agent or can I do this solo and still see the same quality/get the same service from yards & dealers?

I've had a look at Finola Heslin, Kevin Reilly, Reid Finlay and DoneDeal and have a shortlist. Can anyone recommend any other yard that may have a couple of ponies in that they can show me or even an agent? Looking for a blood/hunter type rather than a solid showing sort!

I've a sensible budget, cash waiting etc.

HayleyUK

Visit site
Hi!

I did, I bought a rising 5yo mare from her who was everything she said she was and more. Finola was super easy to deal with, literally arranged everything and the pony has been brilliant.

I wouldn’t hesitate to buy from her again.