Horse Shopping

loopiesteff

Visit site
I need some serious help horse shopping!

Everything I've looked at so far hasn't been great,so I'm hoping you lovely HHO'ers may be able to help, word of mouth etc.

Criteria:

Gelding
16.1+
age 5-12
preferably done some BE at 90, with the aim to go 100, if not more. (OR, something that's done the higher levels, that needs to drop down)
2.5hrs from Cambridge max (unless completely utterly amazing!!)
something that's not a ticking bomb at show, don't mind them being a bit excitable, but not trying to bolt off with me or drag me around.

LWVTB/loan/5k max.

Have been looking on BE, horsequest, HHO, with no real luck.

If anyone can help, it'd be much appreciated!

Thanks
Steff

kassieg

Visit site
My 1st thought is you do not have a big enough budget which is why you cant find something to fit your criteria

I've just put my 16hh 5 year old mare absolute angel competing at be80 schooled upto be100 & shes up for 7.5k I will take a decent bit off for the right home but my friend still thinks I haven't put her up for enough

Arniebear

Visit site
Have you thought about having a look at what Rosie Chinery has in? She may have something to suit or know of something?

noname

Visit site
Agree mostly with Kassieg! You will be lucky to find something with a BE record for £5k. If that's your budget look for something that's done Rc/ PC events but not affiliated as they are more than capable of doing BE 90 / 100. Often unaff courses are tougher than BE anyway as no safety checks by the BE steward, distances are wrong etc!!

Sorry Kassieg, wouldn't pay £7.5k for something competing at BE80. Pretty much anything with 4 legs can do well at BE80 just may not have the scope to go on! If people are more interested in potential to go up the grades they will also look at horses that don't have a competition record as you can get a horse to BE80 fairly quickly! Bought my mare in November and had only popped a few fences but is already at 80 level and I paid £3k. Jumping 1.10 at home etc!

Still think your'll sell your mare well if she's easy but just know a lot of people that also wouldn't pay that! I mean it in the nicest possible way and an sure your mare will go up the levels!

kassieg

Visit site
Agree mostly with Kassieg! You will be lucky to find something with a BE record for £5k. If that's your budget look for something that's done Rc/ PC events but not affiliated as they are more than capable of doing BE 90 / 100. Often unaff courses are tougher than BE anyway as no safety checks by the BE steward, distances are wrong etc!!

Sorry Kassieg, wouldn't pay £7.5k for something competing at BE80. Pretty much anything with 4 legs can do well at BE80 just may not have the scope to go on! If people are more interested in potential to go up the grades they will also look at horses that don't have a competition record as you can get a horse to BE80 fairly quickly! Bought my mare in November and had only popped a few fences but is already at 80 level and I paid £3k. Jumping 1.10 at home etc!

Still think your'll sell your mare well if she's easy but just know a lot of people that also wouldn't pay that! I mean it in the nicest possible way and an sure your mare will go up the levels!

I know what your saying she has done 2 events though she is moving up to 90 in the next event & is literally a saint of a horse which makes them a lot more desirable & adds value, I'm not expecting to get 7.5k I would happily take a decent bit less for the right home :)

HotToTrot

Visit site
My friend just bought one, she lives about two minutes from you and found hers with a dealer near you. Will get name. The mare is sweet, easy, schools well, jumps 1m and was almost certainly under 5K. She came via John Whinnett - JohnWhinnett.com. Have a look at his website, he is near you. I doubt they have evented, but if they've hunted, xc schooled and sjd, you probably don't need them to have gone eventing? I think your budget should be fine, maybe also have a look at ones that have done all the component parts but not actually been BE?

DW Team

Visit site
Try Alex Ormrod he has some very nice horses for sale. Or Adam Taylor from Jump Elite have some very nice horses for sale.

MrSpam

Visit site
I think you should be able to find something - I bought a 17hh, 13yr old for my son during the winter, as a schoolmaster. Great record SJ, good dressage and decent BE for 2.5K. He has already been placed SJ, dressage and PC eventing and will do all the PC teams this year. I think you might struggle with a loan or LWVTB - I wouldn't do that. He wasn't advertised though, so tell everyone you know what you are looking for.

jessjc

Chaddleworth, Berkshire (Wantage/Newbury)
Visit site
Crikey - pricing is tricky. I would have agreed, £5k for something to safely carry you around a BE100 and take you up the levels sounds like a big ask to me. I was advertising my 7yo who started eventing this year and completed 3 events well at BE90/100 for £13.5k - I asked people who knew him and who I trust to give a fair assessment how much he's worth and this seemed about right, especially given his astonishingly calm temperament. I think it's hard to judge whether they have the scope for bigger at such an early stage, but he was making BE100 feel easy, although the dressage was more of a challenge.

It cost me the best part of £500, if not more, to go to those 3 events, so would question the motives of something being sold so cheap with an extensive BE record.

Good luck with your search! There are a lot of reasons for people selling (horses are so pricey to keep!), so as long as you can establish it's safe and the reason is due to overstocking, lack of time etc then you may well find a gem, but I suspect you'll have to look pretty hard.

Holidays_are_coming

Visit site
I got mine from a trakehner stud lwvb he was less than your budget but has taken time with lessons ect but I believe he has the ability to at least go novice should I ever want to, has amazing temperament and movement for dressage. They have a few there with blemishes that need new homes.

X

xspiralx

I think you'll find something to do what you want quite easily, but you might need to compromise somewhere.

It's a real buyer's market. The money is still there for horses that tick all the boxes, so if you're looking for something with a fantastic affiliated record that's also really straightforward and easy, you'd be looking at a lot more than your budget.

But 5k is plenty to find something capable of going BE100. As others have said, your best bet is to look at horses that haven't got an affiliated record, or who have perhaps mainly showjumped but not evented.

Firewell

Visit site
I think you should easily find a horse but maybe look at horses that haven't done BE but have done unafilliated or RC or hunting?
I bought a horse 16.2 ISH king of diamonds lines 9yr old. Super straightforward and had been a masters horse at the local hunt. Went straight out and did a BN clear, he was bold and could have romped round a PN. He was a bit big and strong for 8st me so I passed him on but he was only 4k and lovely quality. Maybe something like that?!

monte1

Visit site
I know this is an old thread now, but this looks a lovely mare, just sold our horse and starting to look now for something my daughter and I could share - to do both eventing (her) and some pure dressage (me). I don't suppose she is still available ??
I have one to sell for owner which fits all your critieria and more (successful BE100) except she is an unmarish mare. she is slightly over budget but i think the owner would consider £5000. in gliucestershire so probably 2 - 21/2 hr drive. Photos at https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.633597533381424.1073741854.111461918928324&type=1

IncaCola

Visit site
I know this is an old thread now, but this looks a lovely mare, just sold our horse and starting to look now for something my daughter and I could share - to do both eventing (her) and some pure dressage (me). I don't suppose she is still available ??

Sorry she is sold now

racingdemon

www.facebook.com
I know of a 15.2 that's just been placed in it's first BE90, is a nice type, it's on the H&H website, jumping a corner, rider has blue top red hat, ticks all your boxes apart from size

CNcoyote

Visit site
When I was looking for a horse I didn't just look at just private sales i also looked at breeding and training facilities. A lot of these facilities do not post their horses on their websites so it is really worth your while to give them a call. I dont know if you have already tried these things but I hope this helps!