Horse shoulders different sizes?

lyndsayberesford

Visit site
Had Crewe Saddlery out yesterday and she gave me some great news that my Stubben fits him perfectly. I got advised that i do sit it a couple of inches too far forward (apparently something common with showjumpers lol)

Anyway when she watched me ride she noticed more stiffness on the right bend (which Fanatical will agree with too) and when she did measurements of his wither and shoulder, his right shoulder is quite a lot bigger than his left!

Once Beatrice pointed this out it was really obvious and ive clearly missed this as have usually had my saddle too far forward to see it.

Have booked an Equine physiotherapist (Rachel Greetham) for about 2 weeks time but before she arrives is there many exercises i can do to help even him out?

Also got Mark Windsor (McTimoney chiro) coming out in the first week of April to check his back etc.

On a plus side i did get some great news re his latest blood test - got the all clear, ratios are back to normal levels!

Tinsel Trouble

Grantham (please don't judge me! originally from S
Visit site
with my Welsh D I stretch his front legs forwards, do 3 'inwards' circles, 3 'outwards' circles and stretch again at a higher lever on both front legs. This has relased his shoulders no end, and balanced his gaits out too. I also pull both back legs forwards and rock them side to side 3 times at full extention to release his back muscles. He stretches them back himself now!

Tinsel Trouble

Grantham (please don't judge me! originally from S
Visit site
That's probably going to be schooling excercises as well. Pirouette (sp?), shoulder fore, shoulder in, sattelite circles and not letting him drop onto the forehand, or curl up on his 'bad' rein will all help. You do need to help him break up the muscle first though and stretching as above, and carrot stretches will help that and make him more supple but you're looking at at least 6 months of work to get him looking more normal.

Also no horse is symetirical (sp?) my horse has one side of his face ever so slightly longer than the other, one hind is slightly longer too- nothing noticable until you look for it, people are exactly the same- try putting a mirror down the middle of your face abd see how different you look with two symetrical sides!!

Tallante

Visit site
A physio made the same observation on my horse. She recommended riding, lunging or long-lining over poles which were uneven; higher at one end than the other. The higher side being under the weaker shoulder more often than the other.

Tammytoo

Visit site
My son's ponyhad uneven shoulders, but you could only see it clearly if you stood on a block at the back of him. My McTimony man released the muscles around his pelvis which had made his pelvis lopsided and thrown weight onto the opposite shoulder, resulting in muscle buildup on that side. Within a month the shoulders had evened out.

Teagan

Visit site
Had similar problem with WBxTB but ours was saddle related.

Saddle inherited with horse did not sitting straight on horse once rider in saddle. Chicken and egg situation, saddle made rider sit off to one side, and rider was sitting off to one side making saddle sit off, ment that horses shoulders built up differently.

Answer - 3 months of riding without a saddle for my poor partner whilst new, hand made saddle was made to fit the horse and rider better than the one we had inherited with the horse. Inherited saddle had a bent tree leg which was making it drop to one side at the front.

Outcome - partner's seat and balance improved no end (except for some sore goolies on a couple of occassions when the horse was a numpty :) ) He sat straight, horses shoulders evened up, new saddle arrived, everyone all straight and hunky dorey - saddle fits, rider straight, no different sized shoulders any more.

Jobs and good un !

lyndsayberesford

Visit site
Ahhh well i guess mine could be due to putting my saddle too far forward really! But as proved by Saddler the saddle actually does fit perfectly so that is good!

Will see what happens once he has seen the physio and hopefully she will offer some good advice