Horse signs in village

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
After another ride this morning where someone thought it ok to pass rather fast I would like yo see if I can get some signs pit up in our local villages. There are quite a few riders now who would benefit. Where do I start? LocL Councillor? ( he is horsey!!)

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
After another ride this morning where someone thought it ok to pass rather fast I would like yo see if I can get some signs pit up in our local villages. There are quite a few riders now who would benefit. Where do I start? LocL Councillor? ( he is horsey!!)
Yes, local Councillor sounds like a good step but also try to contact your local rural police who may choose to come down with their police horses and ride around to give advice where necessary. Ours are good to get in touch with through social media.

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
Yes, local Councillor sounds like a good step but also try to contact your local rural police who may choose to come down with their police horses and ride around to give advice where necessary. Ours are good to get in touch with through social media.
Thank you!! Will try our local Councillor. Would love to see police horses out and about!!

Annagain

Visit site
BHS have given us a lot of support to get signs up too. We have 'seasonal' signs so they go up in April and come down in October. We could do with them all year but it's a start. They're seasonal in the sense that they're plastic and won't withstand the winter rather than us not needing them in the winter. They're not normal road signs either, they're rectangular with a picture of a horse, a car and arrows to show a 2m gap.The speed limit isn't binding as it's not in a circle.

This is the sign on one of the roads we use (it's amazing what google can come up with! I was only looking for an example and the first hit was the actual sign and my friend's pony!) https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=617191267108706&set=a.458087183019116

Last edited:

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
Contact the BHS as they can help get the signs mentioned by Annagain approved and put up by council. We have some near us and they are very helpful to point out to any abusive drivers if nothing else but did seem to help slow drivers down too.

Caol Ila

Visit site
I contacted the local councillor in January/February, who said they would put it into this year's budget. So far, no signs of any signs. Perhaps contacting the BHS would be the next step?

I know Police Scotland's mounted unit have conducted operations near other large livery yards where they ride around and pull up people driving like tw*ts around the horses. Not sure who you would reach out to in order to ask about mobilizing that kind of operation near your yard. We could certainly do with it. My yard has 90 horses (including schoolies) and there are several smaller yards in the area.

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
Thank you all. I've emailed our local Councillor. Fortunately we are quite friendly with our rural police so that may help. Will see what Councillor suggests then will contact BHS etc. Thanks again!

reynold

Visit site
If they do put one up you'll have done very well. Good luck.

The road where my yard was had one but it ended up hidden by growing vegetation and I wasn't in a position to go up a ladder in a narrow country lane by myself to saw down branches.

If you do manage to get signs keep an eye on them remaining visible.

Sir barnaby

Visit site
I have been trying for the past 2 years, went through parish council. They approved the decision and we approached the local highways for the horse aware signs. They decided it wasn’t necessary even though we have 4 livery yards in the area a B road that has to be used on a regular basis, no bridleways in the area either. After providing evidence of a busy road a heavily populated village, they still declined saying they didn’t have the funds to put up 2 very simple signs even though the road has 2 blind bends and 60 mph road speed.

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
I'm guessing we can't just put one on a verge off our own backs? I know the signs we are on about are large, what about a smaller one on a wooden board, bit like the ones you see advertising fetes?

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Also is there a riding association around your area, they hold some clout too.