Horse sleeping a lot

catherine22

Visit site
My mare, 24ish, who lives out and is retired, and has been for the last 4 years has recently started sleeping a lot more than usual and a lot deeper. For example this morning she was flat out asleep, and her fly mask was off one ear, she stayed asleep (and was snoring) though the manhandling of her head to get her ear back in. She woke up and looked up about 20 minutes later, stretched out her front legs (as if to get up) then flopped back down onto her side!
She is eating/drinking properly and all her vitals are fine. This has been going on for about 2 months now, even when the weather hasn't been nice and sunny. She still does it whether she has her fly rug on, normal rug on or is naked.

Any one have any ideas, or is she just needing to sleep more now she's older, or she's just lazy?!

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
My 22yr old used to be able live out 24/7 and still go on three hour hacks.....now she needs to come in the day and spends it sleeping. I just think with her it's an age thing.

Dizzleton

Visit site
I find most horses sleep a lot more in summer due to the weather and abundant food. I assume they have more time to relax and sleep without wind and rain driving up their a**e! They'll also find it easier getting grass so won't have to wonder round searching like they would in winter.

But, if you're worried still I'd call your vet out to give her a once over

catherine22

Visit site
She seems perfectly happy/ healthy in herself so I'm not too worried about it, now i've stopped having a heart attack everytime I see her flat out!

I think it could well be that she's just making the most of the weather as even when it hasn't been sunny it's still been warm

Will continue to keep an eye on her though incase anything changes