Horse sore back and wet patch on back?

spotty_pony2

Visit site
My boy has come in this morning with a sore back (behind the saddle region). He hasn’t been ridden since Wednesday but I am wondering if he’s slipped in the field perhaps. The weird thing is there was a wet patch over where it is sore?! He’s had a rug on too. Not scabby, just damp. I’ve give him Danilon, washed the area with Lavender liniment, put all his hay on the floor so he’s not pulling his haynet, popped his magnetic rug on and left him for a rest. He will be going back out soon though as I don’t want him to stiffen up and walking around should keep it loose. The strange hint is the wet patch - it’s gone now but I’ll see if it comes back. Could he have been bitten and then rubbed himself on a tree and made him sore? 🤔 just so odd! 🤷🏻‍♀️ nothing on his rug to give me any clues. Anybody else experienced this before?

spotty_pony2

Visit site
I did wonder about rain scald - perfect weather for it with it being mild and damp! But I always thought it would be more scabby and would it make it very sensitive to touch? 🤔

SadKen

Visit site
Does the patch feel sticky/oily compared to the rest of his coat? If so this can be a hint of nerve damage. My old mare had a very specific sticky sweaty patch of coat on her neck which was a damaged nerve.

spotty_pony2

Visit site
Does the patch feel sticky/oily compared to the rest of his coat? If so this can be a hint of nerve damage. My old mare had a very specific sticky sweaty patch of coat on her neck which was a damaged nerve.

Yes it is a bit sticky/oily. If I try and part the hair or have a closer look he really isn’t keen though and it’s obviously very sore. I went back out later today and it was the same as before I washed it. I’ve turned him out with it covered up, and he’s had more Danilon and I’ll see how he is in the morning, I’ll also send my Vet a message.

SadKen

Visit site
If it is nerve damage Danilon won’t have a big impact as nerve pain needs a different type of medication (gabapentin is the most commonly known one).

If it does turn out to be nerve damage, a good chiropractor can likely help - magnesium is also thought to be a good supplement to help interrupt the nerve conduction velocity. It can also spontaneously resolve; I damaged a nerve in my leg and it was so severe I thought I’d broken it running, but it resolved spontaneously three days later.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
I did wonder about rain scald - perfect weather for it with it being mild and damp! But I always thought it would be more scabby and would it make it very sensitive to touch? 🤔
The start of rain scald is exactly like that, a bit like a burn for us, weepy. It's not until it gets further on that the scabs start forming, then they'll come off in clumps of hair (but only when they're ready; don't pick at them at all unless they're ready to roll off as you put on some cream (Sudacrem or zinc & castor oil creams are good for this, just plaster it on and keep it topped up, don't wash it off)
Unless it's an injury, most skin problems can be helped by diet. Brewers yeast and micro linseed are both good for digestion problems.

Last edited:

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I know I'm going to come across as an old curmudgeon, again, here but Danilon is a prescription only drug and shouldn't be given unless the vet tells you to. When the vet sees the horse, the Danilon could now mask symptoms that the vet needs to see.

spotty_pony2

Visit site
I know I'm going to come across as an old curmudgeon, again, here but Danilon is a prescription only drug and shouldn't be given unless the vet tells you to. When the vet sees the horse, the Danilon could now mask symptoms that the vet needs to see.

I have it on prescription - that’s how I have it in the first place. My Vet would always tell me to try this first as first port of call with him being an older horse anyway.

spotty_pony2

Visit site
The start of rain scald is exactly like that, a bit like a burn for us, weepy. It's not until it gets further on that the scabs start forming, then they'll come off in clumps of hair (but only when they're ready; don't pick at them at all unless they're ready to roll off as you put on some cream (Sudacrem or zinc & castor oil creams are good for this, just plaster it on and keep it topped up, don't wash it off)
Unless it's an injury, most skin problems can be helped by diet. Brewers yeast and micro linseed are both good for digestion problems.

Interesting 🤨 no sign of any scans yet but he does seem a little less sore. I still am none the wiser as to whether it was a fall or whether it is rain scald but he’s having a chilled week and I’ve moved him onto a flat field to stop him running about too much and will reassess. I have left my Vet a message today to get her opinion too.

Landcruiser

Visit site
My lad had a similar sounding patch on the top of hid rump recently, just kind of weepy and sticky but nothing really to feel on the skin. He wears a sweet itch rug most of the time and it does get wet. He was obviously sore there and didn't like me touching it. I shaved the patch off and it was clearly rain scald or something very like it starting. Sudocrem slathered on for a week or so nipped it in the bud and it's cleared up nicely now.

spotty_pony2

Visit site
My lad had a similar sounding patch on the top of hid rump recently, just kind of weepy and sticky but nothing really to feel on the skin. He wears a sweet itch rug most of the time and it does get wet. He was obviously sore there and didn't like me touching it. I shaved the patch off and it was clearly rain scald or something very like it starting. Sudocrem slathered on for a week or so nipped it in the bud and it's cleared up nicely now.

🧐 I will keep an eye out - I half hope it does start to scab as then I’ll know what it is. It’s not sore to touch now - but it does feel a bit bumpy. He had been wearing his fly rug that day and it chucked it down and was mild so possible it is something fungal.

spotty_pony2

Visit site
So today, some scans appeared and the area is very flaky! I’ve never been so happy to see a scab. Obviously not ideal but I’m relieved. 😮‍💨

ycbm

Visit site
It’s for general arthritis and stiffness so I can give it whenever I feel he needs it so it’s fine.

I don't know how long you intend to argue this out with me, but you were given it for arthritis and stiffness, not for a sore/wet patch on the back. You should have phoned your vet about the sore back before giving the bute/Danilon which was prescribed for a completely unrelated purpose.

spotty_pony2

Visit site
I don't know how long you intend to argue this out with me, but you were given it for arthritis and stiffness, not for a sorewet patch on the back. You should have phoned your vet about the sore back before giving the bute/Danilon.

Sore back that could have been related to stiffness or arthritis. I’m not arguing just merely stating my opinion as you are doing too.

ycbm

Visit site
Sore back that could have been related to stiffness or arthritis. I’m not arguing just merely stating my opinion as you are doing too.

You thought it was because he slipped in the field, not because he had arthritis. He had a sore back, you thought from slipping, which should have been discussed with your vet before giving your horse prescription drugs that might disguise symptoms that the vet needs to see.

It's really easy, just call them first next time.

spotty_pony2

Visit site
You thought it was because he slipped in the field, not because he had arthritis. He had a sore back, you thought from slipping, which should have been discussed with your vet before giving your horse prescription drugs that might disguise symptoms that the vet needs to see.

It's really easy, just call them first next time.

You’re entitled to your opinion but you do not know me, my horse, my Vet or my situation personally, only what you have read on here. Have a nice evening. 😊

ycbm

Visit site
No worries, you can do do what you like, I'm just happy that anyone else reading the thread knows that what you did was neither wise nor legal. Bute is handed around yards like smarties these days and people don't realise it's wrong.

I'm pleased for you that it seems to be simply a bit of rainscald.