Horse sounds like a velociraptor!

PettitS

New User
Visit site
Hi everyone

I brought two new ponies home about six weeks ago - one 13.2 mare to ride and a companion Shetland.

We are still focusing on bonding and groundwork and as part of that I take Ruby (the 13.2) on walks. Today we stopped on our walk by a field of sheep and she made a snorting noise that was exactly like something out of Jurassic park lol. She was head high, ears pricked but not spooky or visibly worried. She tends to snort (normally) a fair bit when we go some place new but I've never ever heard a sound like this from a horse before!! Just wondering if anyone has any views. I might walk her back past them tomorrow and see what happens!

Visit site
I call it the T-rex noise :) They snort like thats for a few reasons. Sometimes when the exciting and got them self all worked up. My bosses horse snorts like that after he's be galloping around the field like an idiot.
But more often its them checking for danger. From what you've said about Ruby not appearing worried it's probably her just saying "who/what are those guys?"

Amye

Visit site
My WB used to do what I called his 'dragon snorts' usually accompanied with high alert head and flagged tail

I am also familiar with the WB dragon snorts!! Happens mostly around cows but can happen with any new object!

She will just be a little unsure and is checking the situation out for danger. Head up means they can see further and check things out properly. My guy does it when he is unsure about something, doesn't necessarily mean he will do a massive spook just that he is unsure about something and is ready to take flight if needed! (not that he ever has :D )

Fiona

Visit site
My welshie used to snort, present horses don't....

I used to find it funny :) but if you are leading rather than riding I'd make sure you have suitable shoes and gloves on just in case the snort is accompanied by a bit of a jump in the air lol.

Fiona

PettitS

New User
Visit site
My welshie used to snort, present horses don't....

I used to find it funny :) but if you are leading rather than riding I'd make sure you have suitable shoes and gloves on just in case the snort is accompanied by a bit of a jump in the air lol.

Fiona

Thanks everyone! She did it again on a hack (actually riding this time) and while she was def on high alert watching the sheep there was no spooking, jumping or bolting so I'm super pleased with her - and much calmer thanks to your replies lol X

Skewbaldbow

Visit site
Mine does it too, usually when something new has appeared and he doesnt like it/know what it is... Funniest one was when he went into a new field, proceeded to crap everywhere and then went around snorted like a dragon at each poop he'd done and then stamping on them... Horses... I just don't understand them sometimes... :D

Celtic Fringe

Visit site
Young cob makes this sort of noise if he thinks something might be dangerous. I think that in part he is protecting me as well as himself. He frightened the cr*p out of a group of teenagers who had just got off the school bus the other day. The lads were throwing their bags in the air and generally showing off. I asked young cob to halt as they walked towards us, and as the group drew level he gave a huge 'roar'. They all jumped about four feet in the air and then crept passed the scary pony (all 14.1h of him) VERY quietly along the opposite side of the road!

Equi

Visit site
I find mares and stallions tend to make the same noises, and theyre hilarious. Hormones do wonderful things to horses

Natch

Visit site
Yes, just a "this is something new I'm sussing out" type of noise. I'd make a habit of going for walks past the sheep often so she gets used to them :)

Tyssandi

Veteran
Visit site
Hi everyone

I brought two new ponies home about six weeks ago - one 13.2 mare to ride and a companion Shetland.

We are still focusing on bonding and groundwork and as part of that I take Ruby (the 13.2) on walks. Today we stopped on our walk by a field of sheep and she made a snorting noise that was exactly like something out of Jurassic park lol. She was head high, ears pricked but not spooky or visibly worried. She tends to snort (normally) a fair bit when we go some place new but I've never ever heard a sound like this from a horse before!! Just wondering if anyone has any views. I might walk her back past them tomorrow and see what happens!
we have one here that sounds like a velociraptor we want to hire out her sound to films
though she does hers when you call her