Horse Spooking: Head down and spins

manorfarm1969

New User
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

I have a new 6 year old mare who is absolutely wonderful in all respects - apart from being spooky. She's in new surroundings, so I imagine she'll settle, but looking for some advice. When I'm riding and she sees something she doesn't like, within seconds, she's put her head down and spins 180 degrees in the other direction. It's completely unbalancing and I've come off a few times which is throwing my confidence.

Does anyone have any advice other than keeping her focussed, on the bit and quick reactions (and a back protector ;)). Any tack that might help, tips or tricks, would be hugely appreciated!

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
Is she spooking in school or out hacking? Acavello gel out seat savers are good but you reached to find the cause of the problem.

paddy555

Visit site
she's young and she's new. I would long rein where you want to ride. That way you can drive her on whilst she gets more confident and you will remain on the ground and become more confident as you see she settles and improves.

manorfarm1969

New User
Visit site
She's spooking in the arena. At anything really, loud noises seem to really set her off. Sometimes she leaps forwards, which is totally fine, it's when she puts her head down and spins/flees that it unseats me. Great idea on the long rein and the seat saver, thank you!

Birker2020

Visit site
Why don't you consider grass reins to prevent her from putting her head down.

It might be a physical problem, could it be that the tarmac is hurting her legs/feet if she does it out hacking?
I used to think it was the problem with my horse but after having coffin joints medicated road work made no difference and my horse continued to bounce along, she was never resistant go going out the gate, it just seemed like she couldn't wait to get home.

I'd suggest getting a vet to just give her the once over.

CMcC

Visit site
I found the noise cancelling fly veil was helpful. Pony used to spook down one side of the school. It is beside a wooded area and there was rustling and noise from neighbours further on. With his ears on he was much more settled. I found the Woofwear one excellent.

Reactions: PSD

coblets

Visit site
Long reining would work, but I’d start off with going in hand, where you’re there with her as comfort.

Does she do this when hacking in company too?

FourWhiteSocks

Visit site
If your saddle doesn't already have decent knee and thigh rolls, get some. Don't underestimate the impact of a good safety stirrup for your balance, I am amazed at how much more secure I feel after changing stirrups recently. Wear your back protector. Carry a schooling whip in both hands. Put your brave pants and more leg more leg more leg. My friend has a 6yo mare who was an absolute nightmare spooker and spinner. She really has settled down now and has become a very sweet reliable horse, so there is definitely hope x

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Gel seat saver and acoustic ears help my spooky sharp arab, its quite noisy around our menage as its a working farm and there are units with different businesses operating from there, so there are cars forklifts always nearby thats without the dozen peacocks that like to sit on the fence, its a bit like a trading estate with animals:)

Mahoganybay

Visit site
Assuming you rule out any pain, different feed, less turn out etc etc.

Ride forward, keep focus on you. TRT method type groundwork may be useful, acoustic ears and a anchor strap to keep you in the saddle on the spins.

https://anchorstrap.co.uk/

littleshetland

Visit site
What's her feeding regime? is it possible she's on the wrong type of food? it's amazing how heating some feed can be...particularly anything that mentions the word 'calm'. Ive seen horses go bonkers on Calm and condition, happy hoof, anything with alfalfa...etc etc. You don't mention what feed your giving her, but try very basic fibre nuts and hay or just grass if she lives out, and see if that makes a difference. Good luck.