Horse STILL has the snots

joy

Visit site
5 weeks, £200 worth of vets bills and a box of NAF Respirator later and my 4yo still has the snots and a cough.
There are 4 horses on this yard, the two 13yo's are fine but mine and the owners weanling are barking their heads off.
Neither one is off colour, temperatures are fine, appetites good, mine is in light work on the lunge and after the initial cough he works and is not distressed.
The vet says it isn't COPD, if there was a dust problem then the older horses would be coughing, similarly if it was viral everything would have it.
Is it a youngster/immune system problem?

pottamus

Visit site
I disagree that if it was COPD - dust problem the others would have it! Each horse is an individual and are affected by dust in very different ways. I would be inclined to be treating for a dust problem aswell just in case.
I would have a good clear out of all cobwebs in the stable...what do they eat in terms of hay or hayledge and are they on shavings or straw?

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
Im guessing that hes had a course of antibiotics out of that £200. Have you had a blood taken?
Youngsters are more likely to pick up a bit of a virus, especially with a change in the weather catching their system out.
I would take him out of work completely, give him plenty of food and keep him warm.
As a general guide 3 months off is what they need to get over it totally.

joy

Visit site
American barn system, 4 horses in at night, fresh air through open doors, all hay soaked, all horses on hemcore, rubber mats or Easibed.

elsielouise

Visit site
My 4 YO had snots for Weeks after I got her and now, five months later still coughs occasionally. Had vet out who said it has to run its course and indeed it could keep going through the winter. Said nothing would improve it just keep environment dustfree as poss.

So, given she's had teeth and back treatment this week am turning her away until the spring now.