Horse Stolen whilst "on loan"

PcDavies

Visit site
Please call Sussex police (0845 6070999) quoting NH2/3927/08 if you recognise the following horse.

Clover Lady Tipperary (Lady)
16.2hh ISH
Dark Bay mare with white stripe & white o/h sock.
Freezemark: VAL1
Injury: Has navicular & bone spavin.
Should not be ridden & hence can rear if she is.

Has anyone seen this mare, or have an idea of where she could be?

Picture to follow

PcDavies

Visit site
lady.jpg

PcDavies

Visit site
To clarify, the owner advertised the horse for a permanent loan home. Person replies to advert & agrees to take the mare.

Two days later a man phones the original owner saying he's just bought the horse from outside a horse sales. Owner cannot believe what has just happened, man hangs up phone.

Horse has been stolen by the person pretending to be the loaner as they have then sold the horse on just days after collecting her.

mandk

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry to raise this question, but did the owner not even visit where the horse was going first? Was there a loan agreement?

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="blue"> For goodness sake, I am sure this is the last thing the owners need.

I really hope you get her home safe very very soon. I am looking to put my mare on loan..... makes you think, you can not trust anyone </font>
mad.gif

Gingernags

Visit site
I'd have thought it a perfectly reasonable question as then you have proof the horse was only on loan and a place to start your enquiries.

I'd never let one of mine go unless I had thoroughly checked out the person and made them sign an agreement.

Sadly this happens all too often and the police line seems to be its a civil matter - which is totally wrong - its still theft!

Its a good start that the horse is freezemarked - I'm guessing the owner kept the paperwork or have the passport and freezemark papers gone too??

EquestrianFairy

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry to raise this question, but did the owner not even visit where the horse was going first? Was there a loan agreement?

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="blue"> For goodness sake, I am sure this is the last thing the owners need.

I really hope you get her home safe very very soon. I am looking to put my mare on loan..... makes you think, you can not trust anyone </font>
mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I hardly think so- its a completely normal question to ask!!

mandk

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I hardly think so- its a completely normal question to ask!!

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="blue">For the police n people involved..... not others... there is no need for you or I or anyone else to know details such s this. </font>

Gingernags

Visit site
Of course there is! If only to serve as a warning to others! If the person HAS visited and checked out the place - at least they can tell others to avoid it etc or if someone lives in the area they could pass on details!

The whole point of these lost and stolen pages is to pass on as much detail as possible for prevention as well as help in recovering the horses in question!

If the owner here said no I didn't have an agreement or check the place the horse was going to and this happened, at the very least it might make other people think again before doing the same.

PcDavies

Visit site
Appologies for not updating sooner, been a bit busy.

This is not a civil matter as the person who wanted the horse on loan had the intention to permanently deprive the owner of the horse from the outset. -ie sell it on.

Most people in the horse world are very trusting, and in terms of the owner in this situation I would only say that they had no issues from the start and therefore did not become worried/ suspicious. Without going into too much detail (we need to hold some back in case of interview) the conman who "loaned" the horse was very convincing and always had a very good excuse/ reason to every question asked.

The passport regardless of who's hands it's in is worthless as anyone can get a new one made up.

There were 2 reasons why I posted this.
1 -Hopefully someone may recognise the horse &amp; we could return it to the owner
2 -It may deter the suspect from doing this again.

If anyone is thinking of loaning their horse out. Make sure there is a written agreement which states that the ownership of the animal is "*******". The animal must never be sold/ moved on/ loaned out without express written permission prior. View the location (but remember this may turn out to be a false location), view the persons passport/ driving licence &amp; write down the details. Take their registration and anything else which would help to trace that person.

Finally there are some wonderful loan homes out there.

spaniel

Visit site
With full info horses in just this situation have been recovered with the covert assistance of members here. If you can release more about the people involved or the places at least, you may find it brings results.

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
The lesson to be learned from this is always to ask to see the original passport and driving license of the person that is loaning the horse and also a rates and utility bill. Check this against where they are living by visiting them there. Photocopy all these documents.

Always have a loan agreament (available from BHS or NFU)

Ensure that your horse is freezemarked and microchipped before it goes on loan.

ladyt25

Visit site
Think there's a possibility I could have located this horse but am awaiting more details. Does anyone know if the horse has actualy been found? I am trying to find out so i an either rule out the information have or whether it is of use.

PcDavies

Visit site
*******Lady has been found safe &amp; well*********

Thank you to everyone for their hard work &amp; information. Enquiries are still ongoing regarding the person who took her on loan (ie stole her) in the first place.