Horse stops and I can't move her. Help!

Petalpoos

Visit site
Sorry for the long post but I need some help here! I have been riding for 50 years, mostly TBs and warmbloods and suspect I am now being ‘had’ by a pony ☹. I am hoping that someone on the forum may have experienced something similar and be able to suggest a solution.

I have a haflinger mare, 13 y.o. She was backed and lightly ridden a bit as a 5 year old but not ridden afterwards as I bought her to be a companion to my other horse. I started riding her again in March last year, just hacking 3 or 4 times a week to keep her weight down. As expected, she was a bit of a piglet at first, absolute pain to mount, bargey etc. etc., but she has got over all of that and is now pretty well mannered and hacks out nicely, with or without others.

Except: over the last couple of months she has started having issues when we get to certain bridges on our regular ride along an abandoned railway line. The bridges have the same surface as the main ride, i.e they are not concrete or anything nasty. Basically, she stops. She does not attempt to turn around, back up, rear or take any other evasive action. She simply will not go forwards. If I approach the bridge at trot, she slows to a walk about 50 – 100 metres back from the bridge (irrespective of my Thelwell-kicking-child impressions) and then stops something like 20 metres before the bridge.

I have never managed to get her to take a step forward from when she stops:
• Not through squeezing or kicking.
• Not (to my shame as I don’t like hitting) through giving her a good couple of slaps behind the girth and on the bum with a stick, no response whatsoever.
• No reaction if I simply sit there and wait, although my max for that was 15 minutes. She just happily stands there and rests a hoof.
If I get off and lead her she grudgingly allows herself to be pulled along until I remount once we are on the bridge and then off she merrily goes with no problem.

There are 2 bridges she particularly ‘dislikes’ and will always stop at unless I am riding with someone else or if I am out with my dog and the dog goes across in front. She occasionally refuses to move off from my leg if I stop and talk to walkers, but I can eventually persuade her to move after a few seconds. She has only once stopped at a bridge on the way home, hence my belief that I am being had, big time.

I suspect I am now probably just reinforcing this behavior by not being able to get past it. It's not the end of the world, but it's a pain and I don't want it to get worse. I know many of you have far more experience than me, so any ideas please?

Sukistokes2

Visit site
I'm not a great believer in horses trying to have us in some way. she is lacking in confidence and doesn't like the bridge. She is telling you this by stopping. With another horse she takes her confidence from them but on her own she is not getting that from you. You could sit her out or just lead her across until she is confident with it. I'm afaid you might of unintentionally built it up as a " thing" and are her mixed signals. This happened to a friend with what we call the chickens. Pony spooked at the chickens, so the next time she put he leg on before hand and drove him past. The next time he was ready further out and so was she, in the end she was preparing for the chickens a good 1/2 mile away. I noticed when out riding with her, tighting rein her rein, sitting up, getting ready, pony did too. She made it worst. It's funny but she started setting my horse off too. We sorted it out by getting her to relax and not get ready. Maybe your doing a similar thing, without realising :)

Petalpoos

Visit site
Sukistokes - yes, I did wonder if I had made it a 'thing' I try not to do anything different as I approach, but pobably have been doing so and suspect I will just have to keep getting off and remounting. When she does it now I don't try and make her go forward at all, just get off and lead her.straight away without any fuss. Oh well I suppose the exercise is good!

Theocat

Visit site
Is it worth getting off, leading a few steps then getting on again before the bridge? A bit of a menace, but it might be worth a try ...

Celtic Fringe

Visit site
Make sure you are not inadvertently changing anything. I tend to hold my breath if I'm anxious so young cob does too. I now make sure I keep breathing slowly and deeply - sing a little if that helps. Try and relax - I find that sometimes letting the rein out a little and letting the pony stretch works well (if it is safe to do so). I try and have a 'wow ! - what is that interesting thing over there??' attitude and so the pony does too - though he does sometimes try and forage in skips and follow motorbikes and cyclists now which can be slightly embarassing. He gets focussed on whoever is on the ground as we did a LOT of walking in-hand before he was backed so this is his 'safety net'. He is gradually gaining more confidence from the rider but this will take a little while yet. Good luck!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Where my farrier is there is what I call a "troll bridge" where it is over a steep embankment both sides to water flowing underneath. The bridge is only about 4ft wide, and has see through slats where you can see the water flowing underneath.

The horse did have a bit of a history, but by the time we started hacking out from the forge he was generally reliable.

The first time it took over an hour, including stopping, whipping round (when he herd the wood under the mud at the start of the bridge), dismounting, mounting, reversing..... I just kept it very calm and kept representing the problem. The way we got over eventually was by leading, and to be honest that time we were both so tired that we just remounted and continued the ride.

5 weeks later we were back at the forge, and the troll bridge. This time it only took half an hour, and because he was a lot better we went back over the bridge. I did try ridden, but it ended up being led, then back again (led).

5 weeks later, back again, and this time he was only about 15 minutes, so we did back and forwards led again, many times. I then managed back towards home ridden, but still had to dismount to go out.

5 weeks later, led out, then ridden each way, many times, until he did not have to stop and hold his breath. That sort of cracked it. In fact, the time after I played it clever and did the ride the other way round and he was ridden straight over and home!

The ride is only about an hour really, but we were hanging out near the bridge for 1/2 hour to an hour each time initially. In a practical way I could have just dismounted each time, but I wanted him to feel confident to cross the bridge ridden, so we kept at it.

I did not hit him, that would have made it worse as he was genuinely scared. When he would stop I would just keep his attention on the problem, and if he looked away or started to not pay attention I would ask him forwards. Whenever he was paying attention to the problem I would just 'be' and allow him to try to work it out. If he quit a long way out I took that as not trying hard enough, and would rock him from side to side just to get his feet moving and his attention back on solving the problem.

After the above he was great. In fact he was a great hack in all ways. He went from a rather sharp and naughty horse to one who was relaxed and happy. I am sure that helping him over the scary bridge without force was one of the confidence builders.

If you wanted to you could just keep dismounting, but for me, I would want to work on it so confidence builds, and you do not end up dismounting further and further back. The bridge becomes a place to hang out. In fact I took a photo whilst waiting for him to make his mind up...
26677_1229606584294_1920716_n.jpg

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Great, good luck. I would lead him over and over, then mount up and try riding back. If it is still a no then lead him over and over, then try ridden.

Sometimes it is persistence that wins the day.

The description where your horse goes to sleep and rests a leg means to me that he is not trying at that time , so I would direct him any way I could - side to side, or even quietly backwards- so he was paying attention. Then, when he pays attention as in looking at the problem actively, then be still again.

Twoblueeyes

Visit site
Had a similar problem with mine. Got as far as she wanted on the hack then just stopped (even did it when out with another horse !). No fear, spinning or anything just standing still waiting for me to turn back and go home.
Went for a lesson was told to do something I could keep up for as long as it took to get her to move on again. Also keep looking ahead, focus on a spot up the road, and keep horse facing the way you want to go.
I then gave a kick saying "walk" then a tap with stick saying "on".
Kept it going until she moved forward, then gave praise and stopped the kick/tap.
Didn't take her long to realise I wasn't giving up, and now can hack out no problems.
Hope this helps.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
My mare used to have a 'sticking point' as there were alpacas (which she was frightened of) on one side of the lane and loose horses - that used to gallop about and therefore wind her up more - on the other side. I set aside some time, knowing that I could lead her safely past it in hand, then took her there and walked her back and forth again and again, until she walked by calmly. It took ages but it solved the issue.

Petalpoos

Visit site
Today we stopped at one new place, had to get off and lead, and once on the way home, but luckily there was a man walking his dog and we kind of went with him. Very puzzling, but I am persevering with it. Not sure I am giving her cues as she stops at different places. I have tried the sitting there, moving her head side to side, repeatedly asking her to move forward, but not much luck with that. I am going to try just not making a thing of it as far as possible and see how we get on. Glad to hera I am not the only one with this though.

Landcruiser

Visit site
Have you tried tight circles? Or backing, to unstick her feet. I have one that did this when I first had him, and he'd stop in the same place every time. He wouldn't go forwards and I did the get off and lead for a while, and he improved with time. Once he stopped to knock off a fly coming up from the field, and from that day onwards he would stick at the same place. They get into a habit. I finally discovered the circle trick, just tight circle as soon as you feel her stop and ride on, repeat if she goes to stop again, etc. Or just back up as soon as she stops, then ride forwards again. If she won't go, more backing. Worked for me.

Clodagh

Visit site
I am a fan of a wip ***, or whatever it is called. Actually a headcollar rope with a knot in the end, about half length, no clip. You slap it from shoulder to shoulder, like a child urging on aa gymkhana pony. It helps as you aren't moving your legs or arms so getting unbalanced and it must be very irritating to them.

paddy555

Visit site
Today we stopped at one new place, had to get off and lead, and once on the way home, but luckily there was a man walking his dog and we kind of went with him. Very puzzling, but I am persevering with it. Not sure I am giving her cues as she stops at different places. I have tried the sitting there, moving her head side to side, repeatedly asking her to move forward, but not much luck with that. I am going to try just not making a thing of it as far as possible and see how we get on. Glad to hera I am not the only one with this though.

mine would do this all the time if I let him. If I am riding and my attention wanders he will stop or wander over to the hedge or think up something else. He is a haflinger and I am afraid he is taking the piss! If he stops I turn him right round and back him, as many steps as it takes. After half a dozen I turn round the right way and offer him the chance to go forwards. If he doesn't we turn round and continue the rein back until he gets the message.

I have found my haffy is incredibly nervous compared to many breeds. They do however seem to be incredibly good at playing on this and I am sure half the time it really is taking the piss.

I would go back to your bridge, get off when you choose, not when she stops, and lead over it backwards, forwards, round in circles, leading one step forward and 2 steps back on command. 5 minutes of that and there is no way she can be nervous. Then mount on the bridge, ride towards home, stop at the end of the bridge ride back. She will no doubt stop. Start reversing. Allocate half and hour and just keep doing it. I think some haflngers can be incredibly stubborn if mine is anything to go by. I have to be very strong riding and ride every step. When he was younger he spent half his life stopping and refusing to go. 12 years riding later and he will still do it if given the chance. Once he realises however I am in a really strong mood he doesn't try and is lovely. I mean mentally strong BTW. Any sort of whip just makes mine buck. A wip *** rope and he would buck.

I have known other haflingers like this. Some of them just don't seem to be the same as other horses.

Petalpoos

Visit site
Thanks Paddy 555. I suspect you are right about the '..half the time it really is taking the piss'. I really dont thik she is nervous as she shows no signs of that and has been over these bridges many times in the last year (an dwhen I originally rode her 7 years ago). Today she stopped 4 times, including once on the way home. I think one problem is that during the week I am just trying to get an hour's hack in at lunch time on 2 or 3 days and don't have time to stop and do what I probably should be doing. She really is very stubborn and hitting her has no effect at all, she just stands there and then I feel mean and guilty! I will take the time at the weekend to lead her over and over the bridges, before she stops of her own accord, and see if that helps. As you say, haffies do not seem to be like other horses. It's amazing how she knows where these bridges are as, other than the ones where she has 'previous', I don't even notice them until she plants. Unfortunately for me I am a horses for life type owner and she has to be ridden because of laminitis, but give me back my TBs any day :D

irish_only

Somewhere snowy in winter, lovely in summer
Visit site
Surely if she was scared she would show her fear? I had a recently backed 6yo who after spending so long in the field he really didn't see the meaning in life. He stopped with me one day on a lane. I thought I would sit it out. That didn't work. I then tried to reverse him past the stop point and he still wouldn't go any further. I feel I was lucky in that I spotted a girl up the road who had horses, so I asked her if she would bring a lunge whip down which she did. Now, she offered to lead him which I declined, and I asked her to niggle his heels from behind. He got cross, started to trot, stopped, I shouted quick do it again, and he set off trotting. Never looked back and turned into one of the best hunters I've had. He was a lovely, kind horse and I think he just thought he didn't want to do it so he wasn't going to. Incidentally if you have read Lucinda Greens "Be Fair" he used to spin when she first got him, so her dad followed in the landrover with the lunge whip waving out of the window. You don't have to be horrible about it, just annoy them so they want to move on from the annoyance.

Petalpoos

Visit site
Update: Just got around to updating this, but here's what happened next.. Haffie is now a well behaved, forward going lovely ride. I asked a professional to come out with me and showed her what the haffie was doing. Put the professional up and, to cut a long story short, spurs and a schooling whip soon had the haffie changing opinion about whether or not those bridges were so scary. I got back on and gave her the same no-nonsense approach and we have not looked back. A couple of times in the first few days she tried it on again, but I always go out with spurs (the rubber blunt ones) and take a schooling whip and she has now given up altogether and is a delight to go out hacking.

I may get a lot of grief about this, but maybe some horses (OK, ponies) need a more direct approach and, had I not been so 'fluffy' with her early on then I suspect we would never have got to the completely stopping phase? Perhaps I am anthropomorphizing a bit here, but I get the feeling that she is almost relieved that we have a clear boss/horse relationship and she really is a different horse to ride.

Thought I would share this in case anyone else has a similar problem and also because I like it when Tack Room questions get finally answered!

Clodagh

Visit site
Thank you for the update, it is nice to get closure.
Well done, I think you did exaclty the right thing, haffies seem to tend towards the stubborn so be very proud of yourself.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
well done on getting it sorted.

sometimes they are just odd. I had a short term loan of a horse who was 100% reliable, 17yo-was perturbed by nothing including windmills and all manner of farm machinery, traffic, pigs etc etc One day we saw a horse (ridden) where we hadnt met one before and he just planted-I could not move him, he was transfixed and it was very, very embarrassing as the other, perfectly behaved horse was a 4yo :O

JFTDWS

Visit site
I was just about to say that your mare sounds like she's being a work shy little devil and needs a little reminder of who is in charge... I had some who could be a lazy devils and one who can be genuinely terrified of something unseen. When he's terrified, he's not standing there resting a leg and snoozing - you know about it! Ponies, particularly, do take the mickey, and they know if they can get away without working. On this forum, we're generally very into the idea that "there's always a reason", but many horses are naturally idle - it's a logical evolutionary advantage not to waste energy if you can avoid it.

Glad you've got it sorted now.

ROMANY 1959

Visit site
My friend has a lovely cob, who on a previous yard would not hack on his own, as had always gone with previous owner in groups... when my friend bought him and stayed on the said yard she had a devils own job to get him off the yard on his own...
Then she moved yards, and low and behold he will hack out on own now.. he was just in a pattern of not wanting to do things without his horsey friends..

Dave's Mam

Visit site
I was just about to say that your mare sounds like she's being a work shy little devil and needs a little reminder of who is in charge... I had some who could be a lazy devils and one who can be genuinely terrified of something unseen. When he's terrified, he's not standing there resting a leg and snoozing - you know about it! Ponies, particularly, do take the mickey, and they know if they can get away without working. On this forum, we're generally very into the idea that "there's always a reason", but many horses are naturally idle - it's a logical evolutionary advantage not to waste energy if you can avoid it.

Glad you've got it sorted now.

Yes, as a pony you must conserve the energy for times when you need to flee.

GirlFriday

Visit site
Making pony more scared of being jabbed with spurs/hit with stick than it is of (presumably noise/less solid feel of same surface) bridge doesn't seem to me to be proof one way or another about if the pony was genuinely lacking confidence in rider/bridges to start with (ofc they are less scary coming back = going back to known/didn't collapse on the way out!). No particular reason to expect pony was stopping through pain (as it seemed to be bridge-related) but even horses in discomfort can be forced to do things that they aren't happy about. None of it means the underlying problem is fixed.

Pleased to hear OP is happier. Personally would not regard issue as resolved until it is /without/ (threatening) physical discomfort to the pony. Couple of weeks riding over bridges without weapons would be a good test of that! :)

ETA: If pony was genuinely 'just taking the p' there is no reason it would restrict the stopping to just before bridges!

Petalpoos

Visit site
Hi GirlFriday: "ETA: If pony was genuinely 'just taking the p' there is no reason it would restrict the stopping to just before bridges! ".

Exactly! Before I brought the professional in my mare was, eventually, simply stopping whenever she felt like it. I couldn't get her more than a couple of hundred metres without having to get off and lead her (I had given up hitting her by then as it made no difference). She would also refuse to move if I stopped to talk to people and it had got to the point where I hated going out at all. Now, she canters all the way across fields where she previously stopped and is very forward going and happy. I don't have to use the spurs or whip at all and often go out without either/both with no stops, but the whip is dual purpose as a fly swat so that generally comes with us :D I think she may just be a pony p-taker.

JFTDWS

Visit site
Horses need boundaries - I actually don't care if a horse is slightly apprehensive about something, I expect them to move forward when asked regardless. Obviously, this doesn't apply to something genuinely frightening to the horse (and since fear is physiological, it's entirely possible to know whether the horse is genuinely seriously afraid), and neither am I advocating beating a horse to enforce it - but some delineation of the rules is the way to a happy, confident horse, who learns to trust his rider's judgement and act in a sensible and mannerly way during day-to-day circumstances.

Equi

Visit site
Glad you got sorted. Sometimes horses do just need told. Its important though to figure out if its genuine fear for life or just a fleeting "i don't want to do that, i don't think it is a good idea" If my horse stops at anything i let him stop for a min, cause i too want to figure out if there is something to be afraid of, or something that i think he will be genuinely afraid of (aka in danger of spinning and bolting...not that i think my horse would do that but horses are horses) but once i have established that it is actually just something he is a little hesitant about he gets the growl and persuasive aids. I think this works well with us because he knows he can trust that i will let him stop and sus what it is out, and that when its time to go on its time to go on, and that he can still feel a certain way but going on will get him away from it rather than just standing about getting stressed cause he can't get away from it, and i would never turn back unless i actually had fear myself.

Last hack we were on with a friend i was behind as that particular horse is bomb proof type and a good one to stay behind and have a lazy hack on rather than have to think like a leader lol but we got to a point there was a herd of reindeer and he would NOT go past despite a growl and owner really asking. Cut a long story short, my boy (who had seen them before) took the lead and i did give him a min to sniff and look, then it was time to go. He was a bit hesitant, but a quick growl and tap on the shoulder and he walked on fine and other horse followed. Both walked past again on the way home without any issue.

Im rambling, but point im making is that you have to assess these situations and sometimes you do just have to have tough love, cause horses are master manipulators!