Horse stumbling

AG18

Visit site
Hi,

My horse (15hh 10 year old TB) has started to stumble and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestiosn what might cause this. Obvsiouly it could be feet, she is unshod but her toes are not long. And it seems that it comes more from her shoulder or knee when she does it.

She stumbles when being schooled and lunged. At first I assumed she wasn't going forward properly, but she does it when pushed on and has lots of impulsion. When she stumbles, it is usually always the same leg that goes first (front right). This has only been happening for about a month, and in that time I have been testing out the forward going theory. This also happens when ridden by her sharer so it's not just me! I haven't noticed her doing it on a hack or when jumping.(it isn't particularly often, maybe once per every other schooling session).

Any ideas of things I can investigate?
Thanks!!

Nic

Visit site
My boy started doing this recently & has just been diagnosed with arthritis of the coffin joint.

Sounds slightly different in your case though but safest to get your vet to investigate.

Stasha22

Visit site
I would ask your vet for advice.

My mare used to stumble when I first bought her and the vet said it was due to her feet being poorly balanced. She has since had remedial shoeing and that has helped immensley.

Could be something completeley different with your girl but worth checking out.

MillionDollar

Visit site
Definitely get the horse checked out ASAP. My best friends horse started stumbling a few years ago, just very occasionally, then one day whilst out on a hack fell right over and knocked out the rider. She had to be retired as it is dangerous to ride her as she has a deformed knee where the bone is growing the wrong way and preventing her from bending her knee properly. She bred a stunning colt this year as it wasn't genetic.
BUT don't think this is what your horse has it may be something very simple such as a changing the shoes, etc, but i would have it checked out.

CBFan

Visit site
It could be any number of things... bruised soles, a 'bony problem' like arthritis or navicular or even something as simple as her being too much on the forehand. Really is hard to tell without seeing the horse. Worth getting the vet to have a check...