Horse tanking off on lunge

I don’t like mondays

Visit site
My horse is rather fresh at the moment and likes to tank off on the lunge. Usually he gives me time to compose myself in the school (sending him out, getting the line sorted) before bucking and bombing off but yesterday as we entered the school and I was closing the school gate he went (bucking, leaping right next to me, then cantering off). Any ideas of how i can tackle this as it feels dangerous him doing this before I’ve sent him out on the lunge. Should I lunge him in a bridle and walk him round the school in hand first time teach him he can’t tank off as soon as his feet hit the sand? I’ve tried loose schooling him and he just stands there. He’s turned out in the day and I’m reducing his hard feed too. Thanks in advance

be positive

Visit site
You have inadvertently trained this behaviour by accepting him tanking off once you are ready using the excuse he is fresh when he does it but in reality it is just him taking the p*** if he is not prepared to take the opportunity to lay about when loose n the school and is getting turned out every day to get rid of excess energy, it is now becoming potentially dangerous for you as well as for him, it is not good for them to tank around in small circles on a regular basis.
I would get very tough before is gets any worse, think of lunging as work time not playtime, that is when he is in the field, start by walking him in hand and gradually let him out but stop any high jinks before he gets going by bringing him back to you, only when he is listening to walk halt allow him to trot and at any time he tries to speed up slow him down or bring him in onto a smaller circle, make him work harder mentally, lots of transitions, change the size or shape you work on and ensure he is listening at all times, if he were mine I would not even be thinking about cantering him until he was totally switched on and working correctly in trot which will probably take several sessions to establish.

I have dealt with numerous horses that behaved this way and it can be a nightmare to eradicate the desire to shoot off and in a few I have never been able to fully trust them to not try it on once in a while, lunging should be beneficial to them not a high risk event for both horse and handler.

I don’t like mondays

Visit site
You have inadvertently trained this behaviour by accepting him tanking off once you are ready using the excuse he is fresh when he does it but in reality it is just him taking the p*** if he is not prepared to take the opportunity to lay about when loose n the school and is getting turned out every day to get rid of excess energy, it is now becoming potentially dangerous for you as well as for him, it is not good for them to tank around in small circles on a regular basis.
I would get very tough before is gets any worse, think of lunging as work time not playtime, that is when he is in the field, start by walking him in hand and gradually let him out but stop any high jinks before he gets going by bringing him back to you, only when he is listening to walk halt allow him to trot and at any time he tries to speed up slow him down or bring him in onto a smaller circle, make him work harder mentally, lots of transitions, change the size or shape you work on and ensure he is listening at all times, if he were mine I would not even be thinking about cantering him until he was totally switched on and working correctly in trot which will probably take several sessions to establish.

I have dealt with numerous horses that behaved this way and it can be a nightmare to eradicate the desire to shoot off and in a few I have never been able to fully trust them to not try it on once in a while, lunging should be beneficial to them not a high risk event for both horse and handler.
Thanks Bepositive, that’s sound advice. I’ll try the walking in hand to start with then send him out. He used to be an angel to lunge so this is recent (past 2 weeks). I’ll get tougher like you say and can nip in the bud

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I have had them like this. Firstly, I wait until they are lungeing nicely, so not a 'fresh day' and confirm that they know how to lunge on 2 reins. I would habituate them that the reins run through a roller ring or stirrups that are secured below.

Once they understand this, then I would only lunge on 2 reins until you are sure the habit is eradicated. 2 reins gives a stack more control. You can actually pull them up rather than them wizzing round you. The 2 reins also give more control as to where the back end points. You can do frequent rein changes. You can keep them to a walk until they are paying attention.

But, as I said, I would make sure they and you are capable on a quiet day, when the horse is already working well.

I don’t like mondays

Visit site
I have had them like this. Firstly, I wait until they are lungeing nicely, so not a 'fresh day' and confirm that they know how to lunge on 2 reins. I would habituate them that the reins run through a roller ring or stirrups that are secured below.

Once they understand this, then I would only lunge on 2 reins until you are sure the habit is eradicated. 2 reins gives a stack more control. You can actually pull them up rather than them wizzing round you. The 2 reins also give more control as to where the back end points. You can do frequent rein changes. You can keep them to a walk until they are paying attention.

But, as I said, I would make sure they and you are capable on a quiet day, when the horse is already working well.

Thank you Red. Every day seems like a fresh day at the moment ;-) he’s getting turned out 24/7 soon (and less feed) so that will help. Great idea about 2 reins I hadn’t thought of that. The horse is (usually) great at long reining, I’m not so proficient so need to practice. Are there any books or YouTube you’d recommend to help me get better at this? Thanks

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Thank you Red. Every day seems like a fresh day at the moment ;-) he’s getting turned out 24/7 soon (and less feed) so that will help. Great idea about 2 reins I hadn’t thought of that. The horse is (usually) great at long reining, I’m not so proficient so need to practice. Are there any books or YouTube you’d recommend to help me get better at this? Thanks

I wouldn't put myself behind him at this point, but if he long reins well, he should also lunge on 2 reins well. I would practice on another (non fresh and safe) horse a few times, then get it together with him on a non fresh day, then you will be in the captain's chair for any future shenanigans.