horse teatherd

aimeemc

New User
Visit site
hi just wondering 1 there is a horse teatherd where i live it has no water either
2 the little pest keeps escaping and we dont know whos it is
and 3 the rspca and police ae not really helping does anyone know what i can do other than the 2options ive done just i am worried for the welfair of the horse and also worried for drivers seen as its still out their after i caught it and its now dark

aimeemc

New User
Visit site
please can you tell us something we can do im at the point where i wana go and sit out all ngiht and keep vidule on the poor thing ive been and gave it buckets of water

SonnysHumanSlave

Visit site
How long has it been there?
Another call could be made to World Horse Welfare to report it, or any other animal Sanctuaries that you have local to where you are.

aimeemc

New User
Visit site
honestly dont know as i dont live with my mum i only went to mums for weekend like it was put their friday night i duno if its me looking into it too much just although it a bit of a chunky monkey im more worried about it being hit by a car or breaking its neck the way its teatherd
ive told rspca they was like its a police matter we cant do anything and i told them the way it was etc im guessing with thw rspca because you cant just see skin and bones they wont do anything i just find it annoying the fact they if u feel an animal is being miss treadted to call them then they turn round and go its a police matter so i dont know what to do

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Yell tje rspca to pull thier flaming finger out and get over there to check the horse. This falls directly wiring their remit.

aimeemc

New User
Visit site
i guess just its escaped 3times allready today and nearly got run over its a danger not only that i do bleave its a travlers i dont know them but just worried as sometimes they have a habbit of dumping things and i just dredding that they may of done this to this horse
i have to say he a beauty quite skittish tho also doesnt help the fact its a saturday night and alot of drunks about worried they will spook horse again i guess if i have to ill have to call police again
thankyou for advice tho weve put a large bucket of water out but no food as i duno wat to give it

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
It depends which town you are in, some have horse wardens who you can call out. Otherwise leave it till tomorrow and try again with WHW and the police.

Paris1

Visit site
Don't know about the escaping thing, that's a worry, but regarding water quote often the cater if a tethered horse will provide a bucket of water twice a day. Allowing the horse to drink its fill. In the wild horses often drink once a day as the water is far away.

Littlelegs

Visit site
Find the name of the local paper. Then call the rspca back & tell them its urgent. If they fob you off, just say 'no problem, i'll call the (insert name of paper) & see if they know anyone who can help'. When I had the same crappy attitude from the rspca this immediately got them out.
You can ring the police too & say its going to cause an accident as its on the road but on a Saturday night its probably not a priority.

aimeemc

New User
Visit site
well ive just called local vet and shes going out to see it for free also shes got contacts that she can called if concerned shes a rider herself so yeah shes a better person to catch it i have to say it was a challenge doing it myself with a plaster cast on my leg she said if she has to she will call police to seaze it and then call rspca or sumone to collect thankyou all for help i cant chance it any longer poor thing its now thundering so even more reasion to get it sorted ill let u know what hapens thankyou again

Goldenstar

Visit site
It's sometime since I worked as a welfare officer and one of the depressing things then is that we just had to leave them if their body condition was ok and people where giving them water ( did not have to be owner and it's very difficult to prove owners are not going ).
As. For getting loose sometimes the police would try to sort that out but it's very difficult tethering is legal and thats that.

competitiondiva

Visit site
If the pony is loose and healthy in itself, then technically it's a stray, and therefore falls under the remit of the local council and police as it's a risk to public health (just to bear in mind the rspca don't collect healthy stray dogs either, you pay a dog warden out of your taxes for this). The issue of 'stray' horses across the UK is too big for the RSPCA or any charity to tackle, they can work with councils to try and prevent it, but if they went and collected every single stray horse in the UK they would be financially broke within the week! I realise that's no help to you watching this poor individual, but this is why the RSPCA have a 'blanket' response....

I did 'ask annie' on the rspca website: http://ask.rspca.org.uk/rspca/bot.htm?isJSEnabled=1&SiteContext=PUB

rockysmum

Visit site
Sometimes the smaller local charities will help you out, even though they cant actually take the horse.

At worst they may be able to tether it more securely until something is done. They also know the procedures and who to talk to.

I know Hope Pastures do this sort of thing as I was on the phone to Amy the other night. Poor girl spent half the night in all that rain waiting with a couple of strays in a very poor area of Leeds. The police did attend but had no idea what to do about it. The charity did and the two horses were eventually taken to the local horse pound.

aimeemc

New User
Visit site
hey all i would like to one appoligise for my delay in posting and also like to thank alll who has given me advice i think they should make it illigal besides police dont give a hoot nor rspca unfortunatly the horse doesnt think much of its new home as it keeps escaping i went and brought a head coller and put that on it so hopefully it will be a little more challenging for it to try again untill the owner see's and i am sure they wont be happy but ohhwell rather a new head coller than a seatbelt as one

PandorasJar

Visit site
hi just wondering 1 there is a horse teatherd where i live it has no water either
2 the little pest keeps escaping and we dont know whos it is
and 3 the rspca and police ae not really helping does anyone know what i can do other than the 2options ive done just i am worried for the welfair of the horse and also worried for drivers seen as its still out their after i caught it and its now dark

WHW and BHS.

However we reported 4 horses to both of them. They said they'd been out and were fine. Weeks later all 4 turned loose, 3 presumed dead and one nightmare. This on a main road too and police didn't even bother turning up.

Faith in people currently at rock bottom.

Pan

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site