Horse that goes introverted in the dressage arena.

Walrus

Visit site
Any tips for a horse that goes a bit introverted and backward when going from the warm up into the dressage arena (fully appreciate it's likely the jockey too but I think it's also the horse so looking for other people's experience).

Horse is 12, fairly bombproof, and goes out and about regularly. She is naturally laid back and it's taken a lot to get push from behind and energy in the school but we can now get it at home and, usually, in the warm up but invariably we lose it in the test, I end up overriding like a desperate windmill and the overall effect isn't great and we get lots of comments about lacking energy and behind the leg.

We continue to work on sharpening up at home, have outings planned including arena hire and competitions at different venues and we recently.did a test riding clinic where she was super forward.

We have regionals coming up which is a scary arena and a bit of a walk from the warm up to the competition arena so we need to try and sort this.

Any experience anyone else had would be much appreciated. :)

Orangehorse

Visit site
Oh yes, my niece had a horse like that. I rode it in a one day event once as she very generously let me take her as my horse was coughing.

In the dressage there was desperate kicking with the outside leg, away from the judge, to try and make it go.

Turned into a pocket rocket over the show jumping and cross country. We were 4th in the end and we were very pleased with that.

I think she was just bored with dressage and didn't want to make the effort. Undoubtedly I could have ridden her better but she seemed to make her feelings clear.

Walrus

Visit site
I'm not sure that's the case here. I mean, I'm sure she's not overly thrilled at having to go and trot round some white boards but we've done a lot to vary her work and not overschool her (as I think we were in danger of that in the past) and she does a few different activities. Plus at this stage I can get her going at home and, most of the time, in the warm up. It's the transition from warm up to competition ring that we lose it.

paddi22

Visit site
have you a dressage instructor with a good set of eyes that could analyse what's changing when you go in? in the ring 99% of the time you can see with riders it's something simple like the rider stops breathing properly or tenses their hands. a lot of peoples positions chance as well as soon as they go up the centre line.

I did have one in for schooling that was like that and it helped to go to very small shows. and when going up the centre line to give a good tap with the whip or pony club kick to get it off my leg, I didn't care it it shot forwarder changed to a faster gait, I just wanted it off my leg. I just did that for the whole tes, that was the only aim in mind. it doesn't work to do it in a proper competition you care about, it needs to be a show with absolutely no stakes where you can tell them you are HC and just using it as a schooling experience. at smaller shows I also find sometimes you can say hello o judge beforehand, explain your issues and then a lot of very kind and give advice after. it really depends on finding the right show experience to help achieve your aim

j1ffy

Visit site
I did have one in for schooling that was like that and it helped to go to very small shows. and when going up the centre line to give a good tap with the whip or pony club kick to get it off my leg, I didn't care it it shot forwarder changed to a faster gait, I just wanted it off my leg. I just did that for the whole tes, that was the only aim in mind. it doesn't work to do it in a proper competition you care about, it needs to be a show with absolutely no stakes where you can tell them you are HC and just using it as a schooling experience. at smaller shows I also find sometimes you can say hello o judge beforehand, explain your issues and then a lot of very kind and give advice after. it really depends on finding the right show experience to help achieve your aim

I did this with my previous loan horse - he was a lazy lump of a warmblood and would drop me in tests. Having been to a BD clinic and told to 'f*cking gallop' by the trainer, then a list 1 judge saying he'd rather see a rider doing something about it if a horse drops behind the leg, I decided to make my next comp a sacrificial test - forward at any cost and no excuses! It was messy but it worked, we got mid-60s in that Novice test but consistently 70%+ after that.

I do agree with choosing a small show to do it at though. I had the embarrassment of being followed in by CDJ on Times Kismet...

Alibear

Visit site
As others have suggested, find a supportive show environment and judge and then go in and throw caution to the wind.
Alternatively, pick a venue with a ring that you can get to frequently and regularly and then just go there repeatedly until your horses' confidence grows there.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I have done this 2 ways.

1. If the horse lacks confidence, I ride harder in the collecting ring, then float round the actual test, throwing the result but hgaving the horse think that the test arena is a nice place. After the test, I'd go back to the collecting ring and ride quite hard again. Once they had confidence that the arena was a nice place, I'd not have to bother with the second stint in the warm-up as they'd remain forward.

2. With a lazy / laid back one, I just not accept the behaviour and ride every test as a schooling session, again throwing that particular test. Yes, pony club kick or judicious use of schooling whip to get the result.

I think different reasons for being slow needs different resolutions. One is shy/ lacks confidence. The other just worked out that you don't ride the same.

GreyDot

Visit site
Having been in a similar situation, I was told to use the time when you are in the main arena before the bell to do some proper extended trots/canters up the long side and really REALLY get the horse moving forward and once the bell goes, to not switch into 'Ooh I'm riding a dressage test' but to go in there thinking forwards, thinking of schooling the horse round the arena, hitting the markers and keeping the momentum going. Learn the test so you know it inside out and then ride it as a whole, linking all movements together, rather than thinking of them as individual parts.
Most of all, though, use that precious minute before the bell goes to get a proper extension of pace (far more than you think).

Also - what helped me and my horse was to practice a test at home every few weeks in a manner of doing 20 mins of schooling, then a few minutes walk (to replicate the switch-off which can happen between warm-up arena and test) and then to pick him back up, a quick canter/extended trot and then into the test movements. They soon learn the 'routine' and it definitely helped us.

Walrus

Visit site
Thanks everyone, some great ideas we will try. Will definitely give some of them a try. Really like the idea of trying to replicate the break between the warm up and test at home, and doing it more than once. Thank you.

smiggy

Visit site
Can’t really help, other than to say it’s not necessarily you. I have a mare like this, you can feel her putting herself behind the leg as she goes down the centre line. Everyone says oh its you , you must be tensing up etc.
friend who is an instructor, borrowed her for a riding club test, big smile on her face as she flew round the outside of the arena before bell went, then she went down centre line …
came out and said “i see what you mean “ 🤣
hers is a confidence thing, much better at venues she likes .

RhossT

Visit site
Maybe ridden dressage just isn't her thing. Sounds daft but we had a cob like that. Warmed up fine, died in the arena. It wasn't fitness, training, nerves .... She adored driven dressage. Horses do have opinions!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Can’t really help, other than to say it’s not necessarily you. I have a mare like this, you can feel her putting herself behind the leg as she goes down the centre line. Everyone says oh its you , you must be tensing up etc.
friend who is an instructor, borrowed her for a riding club test, big smile on her face as she flew round the outside of the arena before bell went, then she went down centre line …
came out and said “i see what you mean “ 🤣
hers is a confidence thing, much better at venues she likes .

A friend had one like this, very well bred. She took him to an Isobel Werth training session and was given the advice to go to one venue only, repeat repeat repeat and only add a second venue when he was working his best at the one he knew.

She sold him!

nikkimariet

Visit site
I say this nicely and with plenty of humour… Is it you?! Honestly, because I myself literally stop riding once I go in the ring. I’m very prone to it (and I’ve always had hot and sharp horses). My trainer warmed me up ant regionals a few years ango and gave me a fair bollocking about going limp and soft once in the ring, I just completely back off.

If that’s the case, practice practice practice. Get your instructor to a couple of shows and always try and get your tests recorded.