Horse trailer and vehicle

bz88

Visit site
Hi all. Doing a bit of research regarding horse trailer and towing vehicle.

I currently drive Nissan qashqai 21 plate and towing is not going to happen I already know that so I’m looking for something else. Well technically according to Nissan I can tow up to 2200kg but new Nissans are so fragile I’d probably kill the engine.

I’m looking for recommendations from personal experience. In my ideal world Land Rover discovery would be brill but I know there’s other options out there and I’m open to suggestions.

I’m will also be looking for trailer once I get vehicle so I’m looking for recommendations for that too. There’s quite few companies out there.

My dear hubster suggested keeping qashqai as a family car and buying a 3.5t horsebox but I guess I’m the sensible here as we won’t be going out regularly it will sit at the yard most of the year with mot, insurance and tax have to be covered.

Many thanks

asmp

Visit site
VW Touareg. We’re on our 3rd now (not because they keep breaking down but because we like them!). You don’t notice you‘re towing.

Muddy unicorn

Visit site
Another vote for a VW Touareg - we’ve just got one and towing is a breeze. We tried the Ssangyong Rexton and I really wanted to like it as it’s significantly cheaper than the Touareg but the VW was so much more solidly built. It’s not as thirsty as I thought either - we got 45mpg doing a long trip the other day.

Bobthecob15

Visit site
VW Touareg. We’re on our 3rd now (not because they keep breaking down but because we like them!). You don’t notice you‘re towing.
Yep another vote for these!! I love ours, you can't tell you are towing!! They tow 3500kgs so absolutely brilliant.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Before I changed over to a 7.5 ton lorry as I had 2 big horses I used to tow my Bayeson Deauville trailer. I used a Discovery & & Pajero which were great towing vehicle. The 3.5 litre Pajero was the best but it was thirsty as hell but pulled like a train.

YourValentine

Visit site
How often will you be going out? Would hiring be an easier option?

Just because a trailer will also need service and maintenance, and if sat not moving for long periods wheels & brakes can sieze etc.

If I could afford a semi decent one I'd have a 3.5t horsebox, not a car & trailer. And have a small economical runabout for day to day.

Zigzagged6260

Visit site
I use a trailer but it isn't quite the maintenance-free option you might think it is compared to a 3.5t.

Trailer insurance (+breakdown) approx £350/yr.
Trailer service £250/yr
Car tax (as towing car is more polluting than run around) £700/yr

Just to give you an idea. For me the trailer is still the best option but it isn't quite as cheap as some people might imagine.

Annagain

Visit site
How big is your horse and do you plan on taking others with you? This would influence any recommendations as you may be fine a car that will tow 2T or you may need a bigger one. Budget and the age of vehicle you're considering is also a consideration.

Depending on what you choose, how new it is etc it may work out more cost effective to have a 3.5T. Diesel / Petrol cars that cost more than £40k when new now attract a tax premium of £390 for 5 years from the second time they're taxed (so 1-6 years old) regardless of emissions. They will probably also cost a lot more to insure. Maintenance is probably the only thing that wouldn't be offset by the running costs of a new car. You could probably get a decent little 3.5T for around £15k if you were happy with an older one. A friend recently bought a very nice 07 plate Marlborough for less than that. How much would you be spending on upgrading the car and what's your budget for the trailer?

I'd go for an IW just because they're the most popular so easy to pick up 2nd hand, easy to get parts for and servicing people know how to look after them. If you need a particularly light one though several other manufacturers make much lighter trailers.

irishdraft

Visit site
I have had a Toyota Hilux, land rover defender 90 & now have a mitsubishi shogun. I had the land rover for 17 years & it was brilliant for towing only changed to mitsubishi because it was getting expensive to keep the landy going & OH hated it. The mitsubishi is fine more comfortable, personally I always go for a proper 4x4 capable of towing 3.5 ton for handling & braking.

bz88

Visit site
How often will you be going out? Would hiring be an easier option?

Just because a trailer will also need service and maintenance, and if sat not moving for long periods wheels & brakes can sieze etc.

If I could afford a semi decent one I'd have a 3.5t horsebox, not a car & trailer. And have a small economical runabout for day to day.
My daughter wants to go do pony club ect plus we do like to do arena hire so I reckon once per week so renting would be expensive that often