Horse Trailers

AngelaWB

Visit site
Sorry to bring this subject up again, but I can't find recent responses to what I'm looking for in existing posts.

Last years I bought a 3 year old IWT 403 (pic attached) as I needed to manhandle the trailer alone and found my old IWT505 too heavy. Gorgeous trailer, fabulous to tow etc and looks like new, but I've only had my horse in it once and although it's plenty big enough for her (16hh Oldenburg/Freisian), I find when I'm unloading her, as she's quite wide, there's not a lot of room for her to maneuver onto the front ramp. I don't like unloading out the back so I'm considering changing trailers and possibly manufacturers so that I'm unloading from the left instead of right.

I realise Cheval Liberte had issues in early models, what are peoples opinions of them these days please? Are the newer ones any better / are people who have owned them a few years still happy etc or are there still issues?

I looked at a 3 year old Bateson last year when I was trailer hunting, but wasn't impressed with what I saw.

Fautras / Boekmann? I understand these are really good and may be a possibility.

Equitrek I won't consider.

I don't want to go for a really old trailer or any manufacturer who is no longer in business. I'm an errr....'mature' driver so no licence issues and I tow with a 2.8t towing capacity Hyundui Terracan

Would love to hear peoples opinions please. Thanks.

Attachments

• t.jpg
    t.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 22
  • t1.jpg
    t1.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 23

July dreamer

Visit site
I too have the IWT403, only used it 4 times so far for my rather wide cob, he seems to unload ok but he is pretty steady. I try to take the front bar right out and drop it outside the trailer to give him more "swing room". You can get the IW trailers with the front unload on the left, but your issue is the width? I would imagine it would be the same problem with all narrower trailers? I don't have any experience with other makes.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Have you viewed one of the newer Cheval Liberte trailers?

We did last year. I liked the extra width and wider front ramp of the mare and foal CV trailer cf the Ifor. It looks smart, and I like the sealed on rubber floor (easier to clean).

I dislike the flimsy build quality, though, so it was a no go for us. OH, who is non horsey and was initially keen on the saving over an Ifor, declared it not for purpose. That smart shiny black front nose cone is just thin plastic. We viewed a brand new one at a main CV dealership.

CF659ECC-E0BB-477F-A783-4DAC23CB546C.jpeg

8C7E4B07-DEB5-4AEB-8D73-133B2DF0407C.jpeg

The newer Ifors, the HBXs, can have left or right hand front ramps.

ETA We also looked at Bateson trailers, and rated their build quality as higher than that of the CV trailers.

Last edited:

lialls

Visit site
Have a look at Nugent trailers too. Loved my Bateson! Build quality of the Bateson and Nugent is good even compared to the IW trailers.

AngelaWB

Visit site
I too have the IWT403, only used it 4 times so far for my rather wide cob, he seems to unload ok but he is pretty steady. I try to take the front bar right out and drop it outside the trailer to give him more "swing room". You can get the IW trailers with the front unload on the left, but your issue is the width? I would imagine it would be the same problem with all narrower trailers? I don't have any experience with other makes.

Thanks July Dreamer - yes I take the bar out too otherwise there's a big risk of her getting her legs caught in it.

AngelaWB

Visit site
Have you viewed one of the newer Cheval Liberte trailers?

We did last year. I liked the extra width and wider front ramp of the mare and foal CV trailer cf the Ifor. It looks smart, and I like the sealed on rubber floor (easier to clean).

I dislike the flimsy build quality, though, so it was a no go for us. OH, who is non horsey and was initially keen on the saving over an Ifor, declared it not for purpose. That smart shiny black front nose cone is just thin plastic. We viewed a brand new one at a main CV dealership.

View attachment 51575

View attachment 51576

The newer Ifors, the HBXs, can have left or right hand front ramps.

ETA We also looked at Bateson trailers, and rated their build quality as higher than that of the CV trailers.

Thanks again Tiddlypom - I hadn't received notification that anyone had responded to my post lol. I too am worried about the strength. I have spoken with NWT and they said that the IWT ones (not the very latest models) had ply/aluminium bodies instead of just aluminium. I checked out CL aluminium mm and it appears to be 18mm which is quite a good thickness compared to some of the other manufacturers too. But I'm still slightly swayed away from these.

Annagain

Visit site
My share horse is 17hh and wide. He travels fine on an IW 510 but doesn't like to turn to come out of the front ramp even if he's coming from the opposite side (he travels both sides as one of his travelling companions has to stand on the left and the other has to stand on the right) I just make sure I'm on his right so I can get out of the way and he comes off it fairly straight and steps down off the side of the ramp. He doesn't bang his back end or get upset by it so it works for us. As long as your mare isn't getting in a state about coming off, could you just find a way to come off at an angle that works?

Green Bean

Visit site
What about the IW 511? I have one for my 16hh horse and have transported a very wide cob with no issues

AngelaWB

Visit site
Thanks Annagain and Green Bean. She's actually really good and doesn't barge or anything, it's just a bit tight for her. I'll probably give her another try in the next few weeks, but I think if I change I will look at other manufacturers too.

phizz4

Visit site
Don't write off the idea of backing the horse off the trailer. We have used a Bockmann rear load/unload trailer for 15 years and never had a problem. And they are very well built.

Orangehorse

Visit site
Everyone used to back the horse out of the trailer at one time. Also if travelling without the partition it meant that you can saddle up in the trailer under cover if necessary.

I think the Fautra probably has the widest front opening.

Muddy unicorn

Visit site
We have a not particularly slim 16hh horse in a 403 and he’s fine unloading - I’ve never noticed him have any problems at all with the width or the angle. If you’ve only had her in it once, it would definitely be worth trying a few more times before giving up on it, as the extra space inside the trailer compared to having half a standard trailer and the ease of moving it around/hitching, not to mention the certainty that if the car’s gone through a narrow gap then the trailer will too are all big plus points imo

AngelaWB

Visit site
Thanks all.

I am going to try her in it again and also try reversing her out (yes I'm of an age where I remember doing this years ago lol).

I do like the practicalities of a single trailer, especially hauling it around myself and also, as you say, knowing if the truck is going through, the trailer will follow!

I actually spoke to Cheval Liberte the other day - they advised their trailers are aluminium side/floor etc, when I checked the thickness it's 18mm aluminium which is very good. Also emailed Tally Ho who say they are impressed with the quality of them.

I've been to see a friends Fautra and was very impressed with the quality, also a neighbour has a Bockmann and he's said I can go and look at that too, so I'm getting a general idea of those too.

AngelaWB

Visit site
Thanks, I was seriously looking at Bateson last year, then I went to see one that was about 3 or 4 year old and was really disappointed with it, I'd travelled for 3 hours to view it fully expecting to bring it home, but thought the quality was poor. Maybe they've improved since that one was built?

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
I'm amazed you thought that the quality of a Bateson wasn't good. They are very well built, very airy and welcoming for a horse to go up the ramp. They tow incredibly well, very smooth, sit nice & low and there are very few rattles compared with an Ifor Williams. The customer service is good, nothing is too much trouble for them, they are very helpful. I has one a few years ago & I found that when I sold it to buy my first lorry the depreciation in value was very little.

Tarragon

Visit site
I love my cheval liberte trailer. I like the fact that i can manoeuvre it by hand by myself as i am often travelling on my own. Mine is an older model though. I have had it from new and bought it nearly 12 years ago. It is a pony trailer and I either have both ponies in, and unload by backing out, or take out the partition and travel with one pony and then have the option of unloading forwards. Note that the front door is located on the left of the trailer which is handy if caught in the side of the road as you would be unloading on to the grass verge.

Sags_Deer

Somewhere in the hills in the sunny south
Visit site
Thanks, I was seriously looking at Bateson last year, then I went to see one that was about 3 or 4 year old and was really disappointed with it, I'd travelled for 3 hours to view it fully expecting to bring it home, but thought the quality was poor. Maybe they've improved since that one was built?
Where are you based your welcome to see mine

yhanni

Visit site
Go and have a look at the Bockmann - I have one after years of Ifor Williams & a Rice Richardson which was so heavy, I couldn't move it at all. I love the Bockmann - it's so well made and is a dream to tow. Wouldn't have anything else now. Hard to find second hand though.

AngelaWB

Visit site
Bit of an update, I went today to look at the Cheval Liberte trailers, my view on these:

The one with the tack room - awful tight space in the front
The single box - lovely and roomy, although I felt a lack of attention to detail where the seals were, however nice box and lovely huge wide front ramp, BUT, I didn't realise that a full boston type rear doors weren't available on these, only the doors with the mesh above them, so they're now totally discounted from my options.

Keeping a lookout for a Faustra/Bockman 3 / 4 year old, but will also go and look at the Bateson trailers soon.

Decided I'm definitely selling my Ifor Williams HB403, at least after having it fully serviced this week I know it's a super trailer,.

holeymoley

Visit site
I have a 403 and love it, I’ve never had any problems with space unloading. If there’s haynets could you move them out the way? Can’t think of anything else. If the bars completely down and away it’s fairly straight to turn out.

Orangehorse

Visit site
I have the Boston doors, and frankly unless you have a real reason for needing them (like loading crates of something) I wouldn't have them again. My horse will not step up (unless pouring with rain) so I have to get the small ramp out, which is a fiddle and the doors can catch the wind and slam shut and you have to have space around the trailer.

I suppose that one door can be closed while loading things into the other side, but that is the only good thing. I chose the Boston doors as I used to camp in the trailer sometimes so would be rain proof. Also I thought the back ramp was very low for traveling on a motorway, and thought the doors made it better for the horse if a lorry is travelling close behind (I know they shouldn't, but they do), but \I think now the new models have an extra higher bit on the back ramp although not to the top.

Auslander

Visit site
I absolutely love Bockmann - the build quality and ride is so much better than anything else I've experienced. One of my liveries has one, which she bought after I raved about them, and loves it - as does her horse. It's the rear unload, and the horse is absolutely fine reversing off it.
When I worked in Germany, we used to travel very very expensive competition horses hundreds of miles in Bockmann trailers, and they came off at the end as fresh as daisies, because of the special suspension. If I was in the market for transport, I'd def be looking at them first

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Nothing beats seeing the trailers in person, does it.

I do think that Cheval Liberte are missing a big trick in only offering the rear mesh curtain, without the option to upgrade to rear top doors (I checked). This is the rear view from inside the mare and foal trailer, just imaging a bloomin‘ big wagon sitting just behind the trailer when you have a nervous traveller in. Let alone the mesh curtain is not weatherproof at all, so rain will always be able to drive in even when the trailer is parked up.

2EEED2F1-880E-4F20-9CD5-3D862E6F942D.png

I’m not stalking you, honest, but these are the pics that I took of the Bateson Deauville with barn doors at the main Bateson factory last year. I like the pull out small rear step/ramp, but am not sure how rattly this arrangement would be in transit.
0575DFE9-0422-4496-9296-69C3FE83A591.png

F31014F1-C244-4B03-9F08-532EB0971CEA.png
1AF824D7-95F2-479E-89B8-B467704A2A0C.png

Whilst you can’t hire-before-you-buy direct from Batesons HQ, there are a few independent outfits who do hire out Batesons.

My horses much prefer to unload coming out forwards, so I am limited to front unload trailers. They are quite sensible about it.

AngelaWB

Visit site

I do think that Cheval Liberte are missing a big trick in only offering the rear mesh curtain, without the option to upgrade to rear top doors (I checked). This is the rear view from inside the mare and foal trailer, just imaging a bloomin‘ big wagon sitting just behind the trailer when you have a nervous traveller in. Let alone the mesh curtain is not weatherproof at all, so rain will always be able to drive in even when the trailer is parked up.

View attachment 51895

I’m not stalking you, honest, but these are the pics that I took of the Bateson Deauville with barn doors at the main Bateson factory last year. I like the pull out small rear step/ramp, but am not sure how rattly this arrangement would be in transit.
View attachment 51896

View attachment 51897
View attachment 51898
Thanks again TP, really appreciate your
Whilst you can’t hire-before-you-buy direct from Batesons HQ, there are a few independent outfits who do hire out Batesons.

My horses much prefer to unload coming out forwards, so I am limited to front unload trailers. They are quite sensible about it.

View attachment 51895

View attachment 51896

View attachment 51897
View attachment 51898

Thanks for the photos Tiddlypom

View attachment 51895

View attachment 51896

View attachment 51897
View attachment 51898

AngelaWB

Visit site
Thanks for the photos Tiddlypom, really appreciate it. I think I need to go and see the new Batesons again.

You're right there's nothing like seeing them in the flesh so to speak. I said to the Cheval Liberte guy that they need to put top doors on and he said there's no call for them!!!!!!

I tried my mare in my 403 today, first time ever she over reacted, went nuts and came out the back breaking her rope, then went belting off down the lane, this is totally out of character for her, so I have definitely got to go back to a double, she was a dream in a double.

exracehorse

Visit site
We have a not particularly slim 16hh horse in a 403 and he’s fine unloading - I’ve never noticed him have any problems at all with the width or the angle. If you’ve only had her in it once, it would definitely be worth trying a few more times before giving up on it, as the extra space inside the trailer compared to having half a standard trailer and the ease of moving it around/hitching, not to mention the certainty that if the car’s gone through a narrow gap then the trailer will too are all big plus points imo
Agree. I’ve just bought a 401. My boy is 16 hands. He negotiates the turning around and down the ramp very easy. And single IW are so hard to find.

AngelaWB

Visit site
Keeping the 403 is not an option. I'm going back to a double. So if anyone is interested, it's up for sale. In the meantime can any of the Bateson with a boston door option advise if the small ramp rattles when it's being towed please? I'll also ask this on a different thread. Thanks.

Bobthecob15

Visit site
If anyone is looking at this and considering a Cheval Liberte you can actually request top doors at the back as an optional extra...although I've read lots of reviews that water barely gets in...we've ordered one so will let you know!

The space by the tack locker doesn't look huge but once the partition is folded back it seems wide enough to me...they said it only takes up to 16.2 though so anything bigger would probably be better for the maxi x