Horse transport companies, advice please

Lou_Lou123

Visit site
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post about this but I figured people in here are more likely to have had experience with horse transport companies.

I'm looking to transport my horse from West Cork in Ireland, to Cambridgeshire, not far from Newmarket.

I was just wondering if there are any companies that people would recommend, or advise to steer clear of.

So far I have contacted George Mullins, Eddie Brennan (who I have used before, but are quite pricey) and John Doran. The most important thing is that the horse arrives happy and healthy, but I don't want to pay more than necessary.

Any advice on here or by PM would be great.

TPO

Visit site
Another vote for Gillies. I've transported 3 horses with them and they've been great especially with one who wasn't easy to do.

popsdosh

Visit site
Gillies are in your area at least once a week as they use overnight stables near Huntingdon you may even get it cheaper if you picked up from there.

glenruby

Visit site
I am in the process of transporting my horse from ireland to the UK - about an hr from you. The company I am using have beenn terrible. Filly was due to leave Ireland Thursday afternoon and still hasnt turned up - no word from the company and thy havent returned my calls. Owner had told me when the company had arranged to pick her up but was going to be away for the wekend so cant contact him to confirm she was picked up. The strange thing is the transport company never confirmed what day she was travelling and are not answering the phone.
For the record, I know the old owner, and the transporters came well recommended (and were about £80 cheaper than Mullins - though I wish I had gone with them - she'd be here by now!)

PM me if you want to know who to avoid. 2 other really good companies Ive dealt with before are Emerald transport and Ballinroe who are excellent but may be pricey.

druid

Visit site
We use Kelamer exclusively and have found them spot on every time. Ballinroe & Peden seem popular with bloodstock clients at work

JoJo_

Visit site
Another vote for Gillies. They transported my late mare from Warwickshire to Aberdeenshire a month or so ago and I am booking them to bring my new gelding from Sussex to Aberdeenshire hopefully this week or next. Very reasonably priced too I think! I was charged £250 by another transporter to take my mare from Warwickshire to Newmarket which is about 2.5hrs but Gillies charged £300+vat to take her from warks to aberdeenshire which involved stabling her overnight and was probably at least 10hrs travelling in shared load.